Just renewed my New Mexico CCL, now moving to Texas.

RebelwoaCloo

I'm having a difficult time learning if I have to take another course when I move to Texas. Did I waste time and money renewing my CCL last month in New Mexico? I will be a Texas resident and will be getting a Texas Driver's License. Are there any workarounds that are legal? Thanks.

Texas and New Mexico have a bilateral reciprocity agreement. Valid New Mexico CHL licenses are valid in Texas and vice versa. You should plan on taking the Texas class at some point and getting a Texas license so that your address matches on both cards. As an FFL in TX I can honor a TX CHL as ID when purchasing firearms and skip the NICS check. I can't do that with a NM CHL. You are bound by the CHL laws of the state you are physically in and not by the laws of the state from where you obtained your license. A TX CHL class will teach you the Texas laws. Or in the very least download the CHL handbook from the TX DPS website.

You can find all of TX's reciprocity agreements here: Link Removed

Thanks, HootenArmory

Texas and New Mexico have a bilateral reciprocity agreement. Valid New Mexico CHL licenses are valid in Texas and vice versa. You should plan on taking the Texas class at some point and getting a Texas license so that your address matches on both cards. As an FFL in TX I can honor a TX CHL as ID when purchasing firearms and skip the NICS check. I can't do that with a NM CHL. You are bound by the CHL laws of the state you are physically in and not by the laws of the state from where you obtained your license. A TX CHL class will teach you the Texas laws. Or in the very least download the CHL handbook from the TX DPS website.

You can find all of TX's reciprocity agreements here: Link Removed

I appreciate your taking the time to educate me. My main concern was whether my NM CCL would be valid for the next 4 years in TX. I am a Native Texian but haven't lived there after the TX CHL came into effect. I'm glad to have already made contact with an FFL as I probably will be selling an AR-15 through GunBrokers or another. In the meantime I will read the CHL Handbook and take the class when it is beneficial. Again, I'm much obliged.

FYI, you don't need an FFL when selling a firearm. You certianly can use one as an intermediary if you wish, but it is not necessary. If you sell to another individual in Texas even if you don't meet in person, you can ship to them. If your shipment crosses state lines it must go to an FFL in the recipient's state before they can take posession of it. You can mail directly to that FFL. It is the buyer's resonsibility to set up that FFL. Have the dealer send you his license #and address and check it against https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/. If you sell to another texas resident without an FFL make sure you complete a bill of sale that makes the buyer sign off on the prohibiting questions. Like this one: texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf. If you do and the gun is ever recovered in a crime, you will have the information you need to provide to the ATF that shows you legally sold the gun, and you can attest to the fact that you had "no reason to believe the buyer was a prohibited person".

Thanks a ton.

FYI, you don't need an FFL when selling a firearm. You certianly can use one as an intermediary if you wish, but it is not necessary. If you sell to another individual in Texas even if you don't meet in person, you can ship to them. If your shipment crosses state lines it must go to an FFL in the recipient's state before they can take posession of it. You can mail directly to that FFL. It is the buyer's resonsibility to set up that FFL. Have the dealer send you his license #and address and check it against https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/. If you sell to another texas resident without an FFL make sure you complete a bill of sale that makes the buyer sign off on the prohibiting questions. Like this one: texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf. If you do and the gun is ever recovered in a crime, you will have the information you need to provide to the ATF that shows you legally sold the gun, and you can attest to the fact that you had "no reason to believe the buyer was a prohibited person".

I just read your post and wanted to say, "Thanks" for your input. I still have the AR and haven't gotten my TX CHL yet as I've been very busy since returning to the great Lone Star State! It's nice to be back home in Corpus!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back