Just Got My CCW :) Where Am I Allowed To Carry In The State Of Ohio?

Uh, does Ohio not require training, knowledge of carry laws as part of the process to obtain a carry permit :confused:

Any Info Would Be Great Thankks...

Glad to have a fellow (Male or female) CCW on here hope you are a member of at least the NRA and more, what was the training you had to go thru? In Arizona we have the option of a CCW or no permit to carry. The only reason I have mine now is to travel and we may carry in places that sell alcohol if we do not drink and if the owner does not have a sign against it. But, it would be C.C. What were your training lessons, I would like to know just F.Y.I.

Uh, does Ohio not require training, knowledge of carry laws as part of the process to obtain a carry permit :confused:

Lots of states don't. We keep it that way just to piss off gun owners in other states who think they know better how to run our states than we do.

I'll tell ya what though, I know it would piss me off if I had to wait as long as 90 days for Mommy-May-I papers, and to get fingerprinted like a common criminal before that. I know I'd be pissed if my state made me inform, "....any law enforcement officer who addresses or approaches..." me that I'm permission slipped and carrying. I mean, "addresses???" Think about the implications of that.... we meet each other at the door of the doughnut shop and he addresses me by saying, "get out of the way, I've got doughnuts and I'm prepared to use 'em!" "OK officer, but I've got a permission slip and a gun. Just thought I should inform you of that, well, because you addressed me!"

So a guy asks a simple question, in an inappropriate forum though it may be, and the only thing you notice is that he is not as much under the thumb of his state government as you are?

To the newcomer, most of your answers can easily be found in the Ohio State Sub-Forum. Welcome to the forums. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for having and exercising as much unfettered freedom as you can get your hands on. They're just jealous.

Blues

Ohio isn't one of them.

In my class, not only did they tell us where we could [at the time] carry, but they gave us the AG's booklet and told us where to get it online.

Fair 'nuff, but you giving an answer about where to find the info the OP is looking for is vastly different than the post I previously replied to. Additionally, you live in the same state as the questioner, so any information you give is on-point to the OP's question. You answered the question about where the information could be found in your state. The previous post that mentioned classes just made a snarky comment about states that don't have "training" requirements, and provided nothing in the way of an answer to the OP. As such, my answer to XD40 was perfectly on-point to what he said, and is why I addressed a separate paragraph to the OP. I certainly never claimed Ohio is one of the states I was referring to in my reply to XD40cinNC.

Blues

When you signed your application for your license, you attested to the fact that you read the Attorney General's CCW booklet which, among others things, tells you where you are not allowed to carry.

AN APPLICANT WHO KNOWINGLY GIVES A FALSE ANSWER TO ANY QUESTION OR SUBMITS FALSE INFORMATION ON, OR A FALSE DOCUMENT WITH, THE APPLICATION MAY BE PROSECUTED FOR FALSIFICATION TO OBTAIN A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE, A FELONY OF THE FOURTH DEGREE, IN VIOLATION OF ORC 2921.13.

(1) I have read the publication that explains Ohio firearms laws, provides instruction in dispute resolution and explains the Ohio laws related to that matter, and provides information regarding aspects of the use of deadly force with a firearm, and I am knowledgeable of the provisions of those laws and of the information on those matters.

Buckeye Firearms News over 44,000 subscribers
Buckeye Firearms Association

Follow us on Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View our videos on YouTube
Join us in the Firearms Forum

Now you can carry a gun or transport firearms confidently with ...
The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States

Traveler's Guide NEW and updated for 2014

PRE-ORDER SALE

Regular Price $13.95
Now Only $12 + FREE Shipping (save $6.00)
Shipping starts February 1, 2014.

Buy Now

One day, you may be able to travel with firearms and not worry about violating laws in other states. But until that day comes, you face a patchwork of confusing rules every time you cross a state line.

You risk harassment, fines, confiscation, or even arrest. Why take the chance? With The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States you can travel with confidence.

Written by Kentucky lawyer and firearm law expert J. Scott Kappas, this essential reference explains all the basics for armed travel, including concealed carry laws, where and how to store guns in your vehicle, weapon types allowed, where open carry is legal, and more.

This portable easy-reference guide gives you ...

A state-by-state summary of vital gun laws that will affect you as you travel.

A handy "Traveler's Checklist" for each state, including information on permits, rules on self-defense, concealed carry, open carry, and vehicle carry.

Definitions of frequently used legal terms, such as "Castle Doctrine," "affirmative defense," and "loaded" gun, which doesn't always mean what you think.

Advice for hunters, collectors, and competitors who travel with long guns.

The restrictions on assault weapons and machine gun ownership.

A complete CCW national reciprocity list, including a map you can personalize to show where your concealed carry license is valid.

A list of each state's Attorney General and where to find the definitive gun laws for any state in the U.S.

A special firearm law appendix with bonus information for travel in Canada and Mexico.

A state-by-state ranking on a scale of 0 to 100 for relative gun law freedom around the country.

If you own or carry a gun, don't dare travel out of your state without The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States. Read the book before you travel.

Pack it with your gun gear. Keep a copy in your vehicle. Use it as a reference so you'll know what to expect when you approach a state line.

Pre-order now for only $12 + FREE Shipping (save $6.00). Books start shipping in early February.

I totally agree (because it is true) about the course to qualify you for a CCW in Ohio is supposed to cover all what has been posted here... there is one other aspect though... Ohio does have another way to qualify for a CCW, and that is prior (recent) military service (with a few disqualifiers) is an acceptable substitute for the class...

I found the best way to find the law for every state is a app. Called Legalheat. Updated offten and can really be helpful. Check it out

Lots of states don't. We keep it that way just to piss off gun owners in other states who think they know better how to run our states than we do.

I'll tell ya what though, I know it would piss me off if I had to wait as long as 90 days for Mommy-May-I papers, and to get fingerprinted like a common criminal before that. I know I'd be pissed if my state made me inform, "....any law enforcement officer who addresses or approaches..." me that I'm permission slipped and carrying. I mean, "addresses???" Think about the implications of that.... we meet each other at the door of the doughnut shop and he addresses me by saying, "get out of the way, I've got doughnuts and I'm prepared to use 'em!" "OK officer, but I've got a permission slip and a gun. Just thought I should inform you of that, well, because you addressed me!"

So a guy asks a simple question, in an inappropriate forum though it may be, and the only thing you notice is that he is not as much under the thumb of his state government as you are?

To the newcomer, most of your answers can easily be found in the Ohio State Sub-Forum. Welcome to the forums. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for having and exercising as much unfettered freedom as you can get your hands on. They're just jealous.

Blues

What you mention about not having classes is exactly the reason why OH and PA (neighbors) will not have reciprocity. PA sees no need to force a class on you while OH does. However, PA still will take your money to allow you the privilege of exercising what is supposed to be a right.

Obvously there would be no carry in government type buildings, police, post office, court house, schools, just use common sense, if it don't seem like you should be carrying there don't, that being said you should know I do not practice what I preach, I carry 24/7/365 whenever going out my front door, if I'm not sure if I should be carrying somewhere or not, its concealed.....leagal issues aside do any of you think for one second that you average gun toting BG gives a rats ass if he should be carrying somewhere or not????

.....leagal issues aside do any of you think for one second that you average gun toting BG gives a rats ass id he should be carrying somewhere or not????

Many around here would say that you are the BG for breaking whatever unconstitutional laws prevent you from carrying just about anyplace. (I do not happen to be one of those people.)

Blues

Many around here would say that you are the BG for breaking whatever unconstitutional laws prevent you from carrying just about anyplace. (I do not happen to be one of those people.)

Blues

Blues, you could be right, but since I don't go in post office's or police stations, and if I get a ticket I mail it in, I pick my granddaughter up from school on my motorcycle while open carrying, never had a word said to me, and one good thing is years ago when we got our permits we all but quit going to bars, because at the time a couple of drinks for my wife and I cost as much as 2 or 3 box's of 9mm, and with our video system at home we have not gone to the movies in years even so I would still carry, but I do not think I could get pissed enough to shoot somebody over a cellphone and popcorn...........you did read about that? in Florida? whats worse is the shooter was a retired ex cop, is that some crap or what

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back