Just got my CCW today!

jaber

Hey everyone, names Jaber and live in New Haven. I am very eager to learn tips and trick, locations to shoot/buy/trade and most important MY RIGHTS... Ive been naive in the past thinking I did not need to know them but after a few close calls... its time for a change.

Any info you may know that you think any beginner show know and understand, please share.

Thank You

Back in the early 1990s, when I was obtaining my first concealed carry permit, my instructor told me this:

"Your carry gun is like your underwear. It's no one's business what kind of you have on, or even whether you're wearing any. And it's not polite to show in public. Keep it to yourself and you won't have a problem."

Meanwhile - my advice is to look up the laws in your state and study them. This site is a valuable resource...but you must also go to places like handgunlaw.us as well as your state's website. Become familiar with the laws and regulations. (If you have no idea what the difference is between a law and regulation...you need to look that up too.) And if, after doing that, you're thoroughly confused, it might be a good idea to spend for a couple of hours of an attorney's time to review and explain them.

A firearm is a dangerous item. Carrying one loaded in a holster on your body is a dangerous act. It's your job to be safe, and to know your rights and responsibilities.

TRAINING!!! Take a beginning defensive handgun course or two. Smith & Wesson and the Sig Academy offer some great courses for beginners.

Look at online auction sites like eBay, Craig's list etc. for Front Sight Firearms Training Academy class certificates. Look for the 4 Day Defensive Handgun course... Worth the time and $$ to get real training..

A handgun is a tool, nothing more... It is not a shield against bad people nor a talisman against the evil that men do...

Never carry it unloaded, useless that way.
Not a show and tell piece, keep it in the holster when it's not in use
Learn how to use it, when to use it, and be prepared to do so if it comes to that.. Pray it never does, but practice like it may...

It's like an awakening of the senses...

Jaber, First off congrats on the PERMIT TO CARRY, not CCW.

I have three very important pieces of advice as a new permit holder:
1. Go to opencarry.org
2. Go to opencarry.org
3. Go to opencarry.org

Click forums and join us in Connecticut for some great info and get ready to learn alot.

No disrespect to anyone on this site, but there is by far MORE relative info and MORE CURRENT news over there.

Back in the early 1990s, when I was obtaining my first concealed carry permit, my instructor told me this:

"Your carry gun is like your underwear. It's no one's business what kind of you have on, or even whether you're wearing any. And it's not polite to show in public. Keep it to yourself and you won't have a problem."

Meanwhile - my advice is to look up the laws in your state and study them. This site is a valuable resource...but you must also go to places like handgunlaw.us as well as your state's website. Become familiar with the laws and regulations. (If you have no idea what the difference is between a law and regulation...you need to look that up too.) And if, after doing that, you're thoroughly confused, it might be a good idea to spend for a couple of hours of an attorney's time to review and explain them.

A firearm is a dangerous item. Carrying one loaded in a holster on your body is a dangerous act. It's your job to be safe, and to know your rights and responsibilities.

Thanks, very useful reference to my underwear and i will try to resist any urge to show off.

Jaber, First off congrats on the PERMIT TO CARRY, not CCW.

I have three very important pieces of advice as a new permit holder:
1. Go to opencarry.org
2. Go to opencarry.org
3. Go to opencarry.org

Click forums and join us in Connecticut for some great info and get ready to learn alot.

No disrespect to anyone on this site, but there is by far MORE relative info and MORE CURRENT news over there.

ok... i try it out.

Welcome to the club. I had a list of websites all around CT. Will see if I can dig it up for ya.

I recommend a CT self defense and firearms law class. They offer one at BSR for $50. I bet if you search around on the web you can find one near NH.

Link Removed

I also recommend that you go to No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations and spend some quality time reading the free info they have available there. I guarantee you will not waste your time.

CT Independent Board of Firearms Examiners. These are still the good guys around here. Lot's of law to review. BFPE: Laws Pertaining to Firearms

Bravo

Congrats jaber. Definitely read as much as you can regarding ccw, especially the screwy CT laws. CT is technically "open" carry until someone freaks out, then you are in violation of CT law. So get a good & comfortable inside the waist band holster.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back