Just a thought.

jwisecarver

If we have a concealed why should we not be able to open carry. We have already been through the training and have passed the checks, I think we should be allowed to open carry. Just a thought.

I wouldn't one anyone to know i got one. I love to cc. nobody knows but me. my opinion. now if I'm going fishing or hunting I will open carry. from fl

Link Removed

Wait I think I need a bigger one.

smiley_popcorn_548.jpg

depends on the state

Indiana, for example, has no distinction between open carry and concealed carry. The law only references carrying a handgun.

Depending on where you are, you can.

In Oregon, all local open-carry prohibitions are preempted for Concealed-Carry license holders.

But in some areas, open carry, even if legal, is just asking for trouble. Yes, I *CAN* open carry in Portland if I want. But if I do, I *WILL* draw unwanted attention.

I wouldn't one anyone to know i got one. I love to cc. nobody knows but me. my opinion. now if I'm going fishing or hunting I will open carry. from fl

Well you still can ccw if you want to... nobody Wouldn't know you carry, just saying..

Depending on where you are, you can.

In Oregon, all local open-carry prohibitions are preempted for Concealed-Carry license holders.

But in some areas, open carry, even if legal, is just asking for trouble. Yes, I *CAN* open carry in Portland if I want. But if I do, I *WILL* draw unwanted attention.
That's pretty much the case in any urban setting. But, if you have enough people who work at educating the public at large, as well as the public servants (i.e., the police) then you shouldn't have too many problems.

I've been OCing for more than 3 years in and around the Lansing area of Michigan. Our state capitol. The vast majority of encounters I've had, have been of the positive type. Very few have raised an objection. And even then, it did not deter me from OCing. What you have to decide is this, IF you really want to OC, are you willing to put up with the attention you might get? If not, don't do it.

Just as a side note, you'd be surprised how many people don't even notice my pistol when I'm OCing. Most who do, carry themselves, either OC, CC, or else they're LEOs.

If we have a concealed why should we not be able to open carry. We have already been through the training and have passed the checks, I think we should be allowed to open carry. Just a thought.

Concerning the OP. It depends on the state you live in. In WA we can open carry with or without a permit. With a permit we don't have to unload it when we get into a vehicle. If you want them to stop breaking your rights that are protected by the constitution, get together with like minded people in your state and contact your congressman.

I personally OC everywhere but work where it is not allowed. You can check out the 50 other OC vs CC forums and read them and decide what carry style you prefer, but I would think you would want to fight for your full rights that are being molested by your state laws right now.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle

I don't know that I agree with the word educated being the correct one here and since it is translated from Acient Greek I wouldn't bet on it being exact but the basis of this quote is a great starter for this thread. I have heard thousands of reasons on OC vs. CC and most of them created trying to justify thier preference and little actual fact. There is a large group that feels that 2A covers OC only as that is the honorable and proper way for gentlemen to carry. As long as OC is legal they are happy and anyone who CC's is just dishonoring themselves and the Nation.

Then there is the group that feel that anyone who OC's is just a showoff asking for trouble. The OP asks a good question and the only answer is that somewhere along the line the laws got settled one way or the other due to someones personal preference with no real reason. I don't think 2A favors either OC or CC and think they should be equal allowing the individual to carry how they prefer. If someone is capable of CC there is no good reason that they should be prohibited from OC and the same with the reverse. For every argument in favor on one method someone will come up with two for the other.

In Michigan, if you have a CPL you can open carry, as well. Of course you don't need a cpl to oc in MI, but that's another story. I always wonder WHY ANYONE would want to open carry. Just curious.

Reasons. Such as?

Here are some of my reasons. I can ride this dead horse until Tiger decides to nuke it into oblivion again XD!!

You have less of a chance to be targeted. It deters a crime during the interview and opportunity phase. Deterrence.
Its a faster draw.
I can draw with 1 hand 95% of the time. (While there are ways to draw from concealment with one hand, there is a greater chance I would have to use 2 hands to get my weapon into the fight, especially if the concealment garment is not open in the front)
Its more comfortable. I can carry a full size handgun comfortably, that I couldn't concealed. (I have not tried the kholster/crossbreed...until I do I stand by my experience)
It shows the public firearms are not evil.
It shows the public good people carry firearms.
Its my right as a living soul, and the 2A says what the government can not do, not what I can do.
I get the opportunity to educate more people than a cc.
I can always conceal it if I need to.

Reasons. Such as?

Actually there are only two. And I open carry to protect them from as much harm as possible. That includes the trauma of being attacked, of seeing their dad shoot someone in self defense, and of going through the possible follow on criminal and civil court cases. I open carry due to the odds in favor that the deterrent value of the visible firearm might just spare them from having to go through a self defense scenario just once.

Link Removed

The "element of surprise" is simply not worth what it might cause my family to have to experience.

Do you people not read the 5000 other threads beating this dead horse? Jeeze, just carry the way you want (within your localities laws) and stop the madness. My keyboard is getting worn out here. Also if you haven't scene my other posts: I OC with no issue ever in two years.

I agree. I think it's stupid that some states make you conceal it and even penalize you if it shows accidentally. Here in Indiana we don't have concealed carry permits, we have "license to carry for personal protection." so you could carry with it strapped to the top of your head if you wanted(not recommended) and it should be that way everywhere.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back