IYO, best handgun for about $400...

an EAA Witness can be bought brand new for around 400 in compact or full size. not sure if the steel frame would be heavier than what you want. but a full size .40 with 15 round mag or full size 9mm with 18 round mag is pretty nice. full size .45 has a 10 round mag. and the "wonder" finish looks sweet! IMO:)

I purchased both Rock Island Armory 1911's for about $450.

Now, I will say that both have been flawless out of the box, but they are not a high end 1911, naturally.

That does not mean that you shouldnt purchase one given your price point, but do not make the mistake of thinking that a Rock Island 1911 is going have a service life of probably more than 10,000 rounds before needing a barrel replacement, lug, possibly a new extractor and tuned, and other working parts that may need to be replaced. At the point you'll spend about as much as purchasing a new Springfield TRP.

They shoot well enough for home defense and are fairly accurate. I see them as an intro gun to the 1911 genre prior to purchasing a more expensive Springfield or higher end 1911.

Just my .02

I think in that price range you're looking at some compact pistols. Kel-Tec and the Ruger LCP are below $400 and are great guns (IMO). For a full size you're looking at possibility a Rock Island 1911.

You may be able to haggle down to that on a used Glock...

If you're dead set on your budget at $400 those are my recommendations. You can go to Auction Arms and use the advanced search feature Auction Arms - Advanced Search and enter a price range.

I know this isn't what you asked but really if you want an XD you should just save up another $150 and buy one either online (for about $495 including shipping) add another $50 (lower if you shop around) for the FFL (gun store) to do the transfer. Here are some decent deals on XD's and a reliable firearm is worth the $

If this is for defensive purposes buy a gun you want. Trust me it sucks to buy a gun within your budget RIGHT NOW as opposed to waiting for the one you want in 1 or 2 months....think about it...

My $0.02

Agreed...

Nothing Wrong With Kel-Tec's

I own or have owned many handguns in my life. 1911's, Taurus's, Rugers, usually revolvers with the Rugers excluding my MKII 22/45, and I currently own and carry everyday a Kel-Tec P-11 9MM. Light, concealable, fun to shoot IMO, and a nice capapcity too. 10 or 12 round magazines that fit flush and you can use S&W series 59 or 69 mags too. I prefer the P-11 over the PF-9 for a couple reasons. The capacity, and the wider grip fits my hand better than the thinner PF-9. It has been around long enough to have become a proven firearm, mine is very reliable, feeds any and all I give it, a proven caliber in 9MM, +P rated, though not a steady diet of them. American made, lifetime warranty, great factory support. I like them and will buy more of them too. They also have different colored frames, for those who want someting a little different/individual. Good Luck in your choice and future purchase.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back