It's Called Christmas

Now I ask, why does it offend anyone so much for me to say "Merry Christmas" to them?

How many people have you offended saying that, and what did they say?

It shouldn't offend anyone. Just as "Merry Mythmas" shouldn't offend anyone.

We are responsible for our reactions to what others say or do.

I meant that in the "all inclusive". There are many who want the word "Christmas" removed from store adds, from television and you better not use that term on government property. Personally, I've only had one individual turn to me saying, "I'm atheist and don't celebrate Christmas." His actions, while showing annoyance (we'll call it that), wasn't belligerent. It was simply that he acted as if it offended him. Have we, as a people, become so self centered that anyone doing or saying something we don't agree with offends us? What happened to everyone having a right to their own opinions? I've said it before, I believe everyone has a right to believe what they want. The wrong is in trying to force their personal beliefs on others.

I meant that in the "all inclusive". There are many who want the word "Christmas" removed from store adds, from television and you better not use that term on government property. Personally, I've only had one individual turn to me saying, "I'm atheist and don't celebrate Christmas." His actions, while showing annoyance (we'll call it that), wasn't belligerent. It was simply that he acted as if it offended him. Have we, as a people, become so self centered that anyone doing or saying something we don't agree with offends us? What happened to everyone having a right to their own opinions? I've said it before, I believe everyone has a right to believe what they want. The wrong is in trying to force their personal beliefs on others.

Seems as though the Christians are the self centered ones not wanting the sales or whatever to include the other winter holidays. I don't blame the ones that do change it either, they want to appeal to all customers. Christmas is a federally recognized holiday, I doubt there is any problem saying it on government property. This like many other things on this forum is so blown out of proportion it's unbelievable. Do you think if there was a 'No God' holiday or something to that effect and someone were to wish a Christian a happy no god day it would be taken well? Or even if a Muslim were to wish some of the people on this board a happy Ramadan, there would be cries of an outbreak of sharia law... How is telling someone merry Christmas or god bless you not forcing their beliefs on them?

Seems as though the Christians are the self centered ones not wanting the sales or whatever to include the other winter holidays. I don't blame the ones that do change it either, they want to appeal to all customers. Christmas is a federally recognized holiday, I doubt there is any problem saying it on government property. This like many other things on this forum is so blown out of proportion it's unbelievable. Do you think if there was a 'No God' holiday or something to that effect and someone were to wish a Christian a happy no god day it would be taken well? Or even if a Muslim were to wish some of the people on this board a happy Ramadan, there would be cries of an outbreak of sharia law... How is telling someone merry Christmas or god bless you not forcing their beliefs on them?

Saying "Merry Christmas" during this time of year, or "God Bless You" when you sneeze, is not forcing a belief on you. It is a courtesy and you don't have to believe in God or Christ. They're not taking anything away from you as are those who don't want even the Ten Commandments shown in public. As for Christmas you are free to say "Happy Holidays" or even "Bah, Humbug" back and it wouldn't offend me. Why should saying "Merry Christmas" offend you?

You mean you didn't know that there is a double standard? Freedom of religion to most people on this forum is only acceptable if you are going to practice Christianity.

Your opinion and that is all...
Practice what ever type of worship you choose and be proud.

What seems to be the more frequently applied standard here is when there is discussion of religion, it becomes a bashing session on the Christians... That is the standard mode of forum operation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying "Merry Christmas" during this time of year, or "God Bless You" when you sneeze, is not forcing a belief on you. It is a courtesy and you don't have to believe in God or Christ. They're not taking anything away from you as are those who don't want even the Ten Commandments shown in public. As for Christmas you are free to say "Happy Holidays" or even "Bah, Humbug" back and it wouldn't offend me. Why should saying "Merry Christmas" offend you?

How is wanting everyone to see and hear you're religion not forcing it on them? Should the public places also display all other religions equivalents? I will say merry Christmas right back, it doesn't offend me at all. Like I said in my previous post, do you think all other religions or lack thereof would be accepted by Christians how they want others to accept theirs?

Personally, I believe that anyone who does not accept Christ should be beheaded on videotape by black-robed Christians. Oops, wait, wrong "religion".

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

Offended? Tough nuggies.

Hope this clears things up:

To My Democratic/Liberal Friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or explicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011 but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To My Republican/Conservative Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Please accept with no obligation, implied or explicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011 but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

You have Demonrat/Liberal friends? Better man than me. I consider 'em all to be communists.

Merry Christmas to you, RW!

Amen!!! Merry Christmas to you as well...:biggrin:

Actually the reason for Christians celibrating the birth of Christ on December 25 has nothing to do with when Jesus Christ was supposedly born. There is conflicting historical evidence that Christ was either born in October or January, there is no evidence that Christ was born in the month of December. The reason for celibrating Christmas on December 25 is basically all marketing. Durring the time of the Roman Empire the holiday of Saternalia, the veneration of the emperor as the son of the gods, was celibrated on December 25. The folowers of the Mithradidic religion did not like their folowers celibrating this holiday so they invented a holiday to coincide with Saternalia, Mithra's birthday. The folowers of the Mithradidic religion declared that their divine champion was born on December 25 and that they would celebrate their holiday on that day so that the faithful would not be celebrating the state holiday of Saternalia. They coopted all of the Roman practices that went along with Saternalia.

Durring the middle ages the Christian leaders became concerned with their faithful celibrating the birth holiday of a pagan champion, so they took a play out of the pagan playbook and coopted the holiday themselves. Decmeber 25 became a day to celibrate the birth of Christ, for no other reason than the Christian leaders wanted people to celibrate their avatar's birth instead of the champion of a pagan faithful people. The Christians used all of the pagan practices and traditions, hanging of the greens, the advent wreath, feasting with family, candle light celibrations, midnight worship, and gave them Christian meanings.

So by celibrating Christmas on December 25, you are acknoledging one of two things,
1- The Roman Empire was one of the greatest and most influencial civilizations ever, because that is where this holiday originates.
2- This is a time for all religions and cultures to celibrate. An ecumenical holiday as it is a holiday that barrows from a variety of religious and cultural traditions.

Pretty close! Closer than most people get it. The early church worked out many compromises with the various Pagan groups. See also St. Patrick's Day. Check out the Celtic Cross. All compromises. Yet, Christmas to Christians is about Christ even though the date makes no sense what so ever. It is NOT about Santa Klaus. I do not participate in the Santa part of the day so I probably piss of the stores. hahaha! I know it P.O.s my family but they understand deep down.

All this said, Merry Christmas to all !

Oh BTW, the only thing that upsets me about a Nativity Scene is when they have the Magi there. Just shows that they don't even know their Bible. Those guys visited Jesus when he was almost 2 years old, not at the manger scene in the cave.

Hahahaha! I love it! A Merry Christmas and a great New Year to you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back