It's all about Combat, not firearms!

I had an instructor recommend that when you're at the range (where such action is allowed, after warning others, of course,) have someone randomly do something *VERY* distracting right next to you (jab your off-arm, for example,) yelling at you constantly, when you try to shoot. Jump up and down and jog in place very fast immediately before going to the line. In a life-and-death situation, you're not going to be calm, you're going to be working on adrenaline. Practice like that once in a while, and see how bad your aim gets.

Sure, shoot out the kneecap, that's fine. *AFTER* you have put two in center mass.
I recommend a "live-fire" personal protection class that provides move and shoot training. We run students through six hours of movement-based range exercises on day-2 of PP. This is about 450 rounds of fire. We get their heart rate up so they experience the shaking and poor sight picture. At the end of the day they are winded, tired & hot. A good course will try to simulate external conditions but we can never create the adrenal pump that comes with the actual fight/flight response.

Looks like Lima, unless I'm mistaken.

OK. The video was to show the timing involved in getting off a shot in close quarters and to show the impossibility of chambering a round in order to do it. I agree that in a real life situation moving is necessary but I believe it has been proven that at that range you cannot move out of the way fast enough to avoid the attack. Therefore, you must attack.
As going for your gun will get you sliced or stabbed anyway, a better approach would be to use empty hand techniques to gain the space and time to pull your gun. That might be a quick straight-kick to the forward knee to lock it up and arrest his forward motion, or it might be intercepting the knife arm into a leverage and breaking it. This of course assumes you've had the training. The point being-don't waste time going for the gun at these ranges.
Once you have the space and time to draw, and if he's still a threat, shoot for the CENTER of the surest incapacitation zone-the heart/lung area-otherwise known as Center-Of-Mass.

Thanks for the video-very useful.

Be Strong!

I'll go out on a limb with PHIL... Shoot CENTER MASS until the THREAT STOPS. - 1 round or 10 doesn't matter. I am NOT trying to kill any one. Just make the bad guy stop. Every REAL INSTRUCTOR I have had has taught this in every state I have been in.

I'm not an instructor; didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn; and have never played one on TV, but I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Looks like Lima, unless I'm mistaken.

OK. The video was to show the timing involved in getting off a shot in close quarters and to show the impossibility of chambering a round in order to do it. I agree that in a real life situation moving is necessary but I believe it has been proven that at that range you cannot move out of the way fast enough to avoid the attack. Therefore, you must attack.
As going for your gun will get you sliced or stabbed anyway, a better approach would be to use empty hand techniques to gain the space and time to pull your gun. That might be a quick straight-kick to the forward knee to lock it up and arrest his forward motion, or it might be intercepting the knife arm into a leverage and breaking it. This of course assumes you've had the training. The point being-don't waste time going for the gun at these ranges.
Once you have the space and time to draw, and if he's still a threat, shoot for the CENTER of the surest incapacitation zone-the heart/lung area-otherwise known as Center-Of-Mass.

Thanks for the video-very useful.

Be Strong!

Yep; that's Lima from the Defensive Carry forum.

She made this video to show people the importance of carrying +1.

I think she also discovered the importace of SA & hth skills.

BC made some excellent points. The sad truth is most people don't understand of how a confrontation really happens.

They under estimate how fast it can happen. Thus, neglecting the importance of "basic" HtH skills that can help them deflect, counter and mount an offensive.

Most have never practiced drawing from concealment while moving; little lone any FoF training.

The truth is; the majority of CCers will be extremely "surprised" if they are ever chosen to be victimized.

ETA;
IMHO: If you have time to aim & shoot someone in the knee caps, you are gonna have a hard time explaining how urgent & dire the situation really was in the first place.
-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back