Items demonized by the media

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Remember the "Black Talon" it was assumed to be a cop killing vest buster because of it's color.

The FN FiveseveN has also been demonised due to it's capacity and the fact that it has the potential to bust a vest with military type AP ammo.

The assault rifle name has been wrongly placed on the civilian version of semi auto sporting rifles with a military pedigree such as the AR-15 and the HK-91 or the FN FAL. Simply because they have the ability to accept a bayonet, pistol grip or a detachable high capacity magazine.

Yet, they do not mention the 12 gauge "RIOT" Shotgun whose lineage is traceable to the trenches of WW I, jungles of WW II, Vietnam, or Traq.

They would probably flip out over the fact anyone with enough cash can own a MK23 (the only pistol ever listed as an OFFENSIVE weapon by Janes.

Here is the CHALLENGE!!!!!

Please list any demonized weapons you can think of that the average Joe can lay hands on without a $200.00 tax stamp and special background investigation by BATFE.

My Buck knife. It has a 4.5 inch blade and I could not carry it onto the DLI at the Presido of Monterey. That wasn't the media rule, it was the military rule. Sucked!

Yet, they do not mention the 12 gauge "RIOT" Shotgun whose lineage is traceable to the trenches of WW I, jungles of WW II, Vietnam, or Traq.

festus don't give them any ideas. They don't need any help.:biggrin:

The KTW Armor Piercing Handgun round was a steel core bullet with a nylon coating on it. They became known as the original "Cop Killer Bullet", even though no cop was ever killed with one. They simply got that name after some testing on body armor by a Police Dept, and the media took it and ran with it. The congress evetually passed the law about rounds that would go through a vest, because of the news.
I was watching "Cops" one night and they arrested a guy for some minor offense, and he had a handgun with Federal Nyclad rounds in it. (which of course are lead with a nylon coating to reduce leading in the bore). After they checked the guys pistol, they saw the nyclad hollowpoints and started chewing the guy out about having "cop killer bullets"in his gun and thinking he was out to shoot cops. Little did any of them know that the Nyclad round would have been the least worry to them and their vests because they are so soft and non +P . The hydra-shok rounds they were carrying in their own duty pistols, would have caused more damage to a vest. But all of the cops were gathering around to see the real cop killer bullets. I guess they'd been watching too much TV and listening to too many rumors.
:no:

Another thing that has been either demonized or maybe over-blown is the 45 ACP. Now I carry the 45 auto and I realize it was developed as a man stopper, but it's not 100% in any way. Probably no more than any other caliber in 40 or over. But if I hear another guy say, a 45 will knock a man down, even if you hit him in the hand it'll knock him down, I'll scream. I've had 4 people in my family that had to shoot men with a 45 auto in Law Enforcement or Defense and they all went down hard and fast with dead center chest hits. But they all collapsed quickly. Even with my own two eyes, I saw a man take 2 loads of 12 ga buckshot to the gut from a double barrel at about 10 feet and he fell foward on his hands and knees, then got up an ran about 30 feet before collapsing. So please don't tell me a 230 grain 45 bullet will knock you down.

Just a point, one of the reasons Black Talons were outlawed was ER Doctors were cutting their gloves on the rounds during surgery. At least that's what I was told by an ER doctor........

Just a point, one of the reasons Black Talons were outlawed was ER Doctors were cutting their gloves on the rounds during surgery. At least that's what I was told by an ER doctor........

Black Talons are not outlawed. That is a myth. The Black Talon was taken up by the media and even a couple of Politicians, but was never brought into discussion as a law. Winchester decided it would be better to avoid any further action by pulling it from the product line up. They voluntarily stopped production. You can still buy them on Gunbroker or at Gun Shows on a regular basis, for highly inflated prices. Save your money. They don't perform any better than Gold Dots or Hydra-Shoks. They are not illegal. No surgeon was ever cut or had his gloves cut by the round. This was a part of the discussion by the Anti-gun crowd as another reason to "Ban" them if they had a chance to force the issue into law. Winchester then took the same bullet design and eliminated the Black coating from the bullet and called it the SXT. Supreme Expansion Talon, but then dropped the "Talon" completely to avoid any hassles and called it "Supreme Expansion Technology". But it was the exact same bullet and cartridge.

It really wasn't anything that special or better than any other bullet. The PMC Firestar round was very similar, as is the new HST round by Winchester. I sat in on two different autopsies from homicides involving "Black Talons." On one of the victims, the bullet didn't even expand, and the other 2 bullets on another victim were barely expanded at all. Winchester used to send salesmen around with expanded Black Talons to show how wicked they were. But they had been fired into deep water containers, allowing them to prefectly expand over several feet of penetration. Marketing!!!

Headbanger,
At first I took some slight offense at your red font in your posts because it just seemed a bit off. But after reading several of your posts I don't give a sh*t because you always have some very good points to make. Keep up the good work!

How about Ruger LCP's? I wonder why the liberal media isn't crapping themselves over a gun that small.

**Rosie O'Donnell impression**
"It's so small and concealable. You could fit it in your pocket and shoot up a pre-school, then throw it away. Evil Saturday-night-special, baby killer pistol."

Black Talons are not outlawed. That is a myth. The Black Talon was taken up by the media and even a couple of Politicians, but was never brought into discussion as a law. Winchester decided it would be better to avoid any further action by pulling it from the product line up. They voluntarily stopped production. You can still buy them on Gunbroker or at Gun Shows on a regular basis, for highly inflated prices. Save your money. They don't perform any better than Gold Dots or Hydra-Shoks. They are not illegal. No surgeon was ever cut or had his gloves cut by the round. This was a part of the discussion by the Anti-gun crowd as another reason to "Ban" them if they had a chance to force the issue into law. Winchester then took the same bullet design and eliminated the Black coating from the bullet and called it the SXT. Supreme Expansion Talon, but then dropped the "Talon" completely to avoid any hassles and called it "Supreme Expansion Technology". But it was the exact same bullet and cartridge.

It really wasn't anything that special or better than any other bullet. The PMC Firestar round was very similar, as is the new HST round by Winchester. I sat in on two different autopsies from homicides involving "Black Talons." On one of the victims, the bullet didn't even expand, and the other 2 bullets on another victim were barely expanded at all. Winchester used to send salesmen around with expanded Black Talons to show how wicked they were. But they had been fired into deep water containers, allowing them to prefectly expand over several feet of penetration. Marketing!!!

some great points. one small correction though. the new HST rounds are made by federal, not winchester. and they are awesome.

Headbanger,
At first I took some slight offense at your red font in your posts because it just seemed a bit off. But after reading several of your posts I don't give a sh*t because you always have some very good points to make. Keep up the good work!

Sometimes you gotta be different. I don't know why I chose red, but I guess I like to stand out sometimes. At least for me, it makes it easier to read for some reason.
Thanks for the compliment.:biggrin:

How about Ruger LCP's? I wonder why the liberal media isn't crapping themselves over a gun that small.

**Rosie O'Donnell impression**
"It's so small and concealable. You could fit it in your pocket and shoot up a pre-school, then throw it away. Evil Saturday-night-special, baby killer pistol."

Give them time. They will get there.

But then again, to Rosie O'Donnell, the only good gun is the one her bodyguard uses to protect her and her kids. You pee-on peasants and scum sucking vile, shouldn't be allowed to own one. YOU, can't be trusted. But since she's a "celebrity", she has a real need for one.

But then again, to Rosie O'Donnell, the only good gun is the one her bodyguard uses to protect her and her kids. You pee-on peasants and scum sucking vile, shouldn't be allowed to own one. YOU, can't be trusted. But since she's a "celebrity", she has a real need for one.

I wish Rebecca Schaeffer and Nicole Brown Simpson among many others would have thought that they might have had a need for one! Let's home it's not too late to change some other's minds before there are any more tragedies. :fie:

Lever gun is another one missed by the media. Mine holds ten rounds and is every bit as deadly as an evil black rifle. Mine has a pretty wood stock and looks like something John Wayne would carry.:biggrin:

Lever gun is another one missed by the media. Mine holds ten rounds and is every bit as deadly as an evil black rifle. Mine has a pretty wood stock and looks like something John Wayne would carry.:biggrin:

I have to agree with you. I have a very slicked up Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt. It has Ashley XO Ghost Ring Sights and a tritium insert on the front sight. I can cycle hard- hitting Corbon 200 gr +p JPH's through it as fast as any semi-auto. Reload is slow of course, but if you practice you can top off a round here and there as you go. I'm probably going to put a light rail on it to be able to use one of my combat lights on it. The late Great Jeff Cooper had several people from the New York City area attend his combat rifle classes with lever action guns. They were legal there, fast handling and with a little practice you were a threat to any scumbag with an AK or Tech 9 that the gun laws didn't allow good people to have. :fie: Even traveling with it or having to use it for defense, it looks less harmful or "Ramboish". Hey officer, it's just a little ol' cowboy gun. I'm not one of those psyco assault weapon guys. :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back