Is this legal?

shingman2

I went to pay my cable bill the other day and I looked on the front of glass and door to see if it had a sign on it to not allow conceal weapons. It did not, so I went in I was waiting in line to pay bill and to my surprise on the wall inside the building, it had no concealable weapons. Boy was I surprised and had to go outside to car and disarm. Can this be upheld by law enforcement if I was caught with a weapon?

I do not believe that it was properly displayed. Always carry never tell =)

But seriously, might want to check with an attorney.

Were you not wearing your Superman X-Ray glasses, so that to read through the walls???:laugh:

Like Austin stated, better to check with someone who knows and understands the "laws"

From your location it says you are in SC so I assume you are. The answer is NO. For the signs to have legal status they must meet the proper size etc. and must be displayed on the doors.

Link Removed

Go down to 23-31-235 Sign requirements.

If the signs do not meet these standards then you can ignore them. No other signs count.

I would think that would not work in any state.. how stupid is it to have the sign inside.. I mean if they are trying to keep armed people out.. why would they let them in before having the sign where it can be seen...

It's actually really funny when you read the sign requirements here in SC. The law was supposedly written by a gun totin' politician who wanted to make it such a pain to get the sign right, that you would be legal to carry most anywhere. Even a few banks have the sign wrong... I wouldn't push your luck, but there it is.

If the signs are posted correctly and you ignore them you can immediately be arrested for trespassing without any kind of warning. If the sings do not meet the code they can ask you to leave and if you refuse then they can call the police and let them sort it out. You then may be arrested for not leaving but it will have no standing on gun laws and be the same as if they asked you to leave and you did not have a gun.

I don't see how one could get the signage law wrong if they actually read it. The law is very specific as to the nature of the sign and how it is posted. I am certainly not accusing anti-gunners of being intelligent, but this one is so simple even they should be able to get it right.

You would be suprized:)

I would think that would not work in any state.. how stupid is it to have the sign inside.. I mean if they are trying to keep armed people out.. why would they let them in before having the sign where it can be seen...

not quite. In TN per the law they can allow them into the building if they so choose but restrict you from certain portions of said building by placing the sign say around a paticular area like electroncs at walmart if the owner so chooses I have yet to see a sign in TN that was legal buti stay mostly around clarksville anyhow

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

Signs that do not meet the requirements posted above are simply requests. Sort of like if they had a sign that said "no red shirts allowed". You can't get into any "legal" trouble, but they can simply ask you to comply or leave.

Any sign that is posted indoors is silly anyway. There is no way a firearms carrier could avoid violating the businesses policy until after you have already violated their policy! (unless like the previous poster said, you have some kind of x-ray vision that I don't have!) Sort of like posting a "no trespassing" sign INSIDE your home. LOL

They should have a sign post up on the front of entrance instead of inside the building.

One time, I went to the Ono Hawaiian Restaurant in AZ, I was concealed carrying my firearm and I don't see no sign post on the window by entrance. I got in line to order something, but I found the post sign on the wall near by the cashier. I was like "WTF" and I had to go back to my car to disarm my gun into console center. Then I have to go back inside the building again to get in last line again, dammit, lol. After I ordered and paid to the cashier. I told em put the post sign on the window instead of inside the building on the wall. :to_pick_ones_nose:

I went to pay my cable bill the other day and I looked on the front of glass and door to see if it had a sign on it to not allow conceal weapons. It did not, so I went in I was waiting in line to pay bill and to my surprise on the wall inside the building, it had no concealable weapons. Boy was I surprised and had to go outside to car and disarm. Can this be upheld by law enforcement if I was caught with a weapon?

I would check with your State laws...In Texas it is required to be posted where the sign can be read and complied with PRIOR to entering the building/place of business.

:pleasantry: Just getting started here. I thought I read somewhere that if you have to pay admission to any establishment in SC. you cannot carry consealed. True or false.

I'm afraid, depending on the local "feelings" about guns one gets put in a defensive position by ignoring the sign.
It would be up to the "offender" - i.e. large lawyer costs - to "prove" the sign was improperly posted.
One of those situations where being right costs more than going with the situation. :angry:

Here is a sign in a Clarksville, TN Gas Station.

Notice it has a red & white sign mixed among other signs,
that reads "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS".

That sign is NOT even close to being in compliance with the TN statute !

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back