Is this a legal sign?

Berta

Went to a mall in Columbia today and saw this sign on the door, is this a legal sign?

Link Removed

no it is not legal because it does not meet all of the specifications that it needs to have, look up the laws in SC for the specs for the legal signs, i'd walk right in there with mine in my pocket

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign Requirements.
(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language and universal sign language.
(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:
(1) clearly visible from outside the building;
(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
(3) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;
(5) a diameter of a circle; and
(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building's entrance door.

So, technically, no, as the sign is white and not black as specified. Can't tell the size from the picture.

The real question is, do you really want to patronize the establishment? There are doubtlessly two or three more stores that sell what you were going to buy in that one that are gun friendly. Why not spend your money in those instead?

Myself, as an instructor I feel obligated to correct establishments like this. So I go in, tell them their sign is wrong, and that I'll be taking my business elsewhere, as well as telling all my evil, gun-toting friends to do the same.

Regulations, and Laws vary State to State on Gun Buster Signs. I know that they have to be a certain size, so that they can be easly read by Patrons entering a Facility.

But, Private store owners can use an hand written sign if they choose not to allow an Legally Armed Citizen fron CCWing in their store.

When I see a sign that does not allow Armed Citizens I just turn around, and spend my Money elswhere !! I refuse to give my hard earned money to a store owner that refusing to protect his patrons, and catering to Criminals by saying Hey BadGuys No-one in my store is Armed, Come in and rob us.

Only Law Abiding poeple obey these Laws, and Regulations. The dirtbag's of the world do what they want, when they want!!!!

Seems to me that since it's private property you don't have much say. Go somewhere else.

If you feel offended you can call the mall office and let them know that you won't shop there. I'm sure that a dozen calls like that might have them reconsider pretty quickly, their objective is to draw shoppers to their tenants. I'd also call the managers of the anchor stores in that mall too, they can put considerable pressure on malls to "reassess" their choices.

Of course, one idiot calling them names and getting into a pissin' match would blow that whole idea right out the window. Do what you have to do but do so in a manner that reflects well on the pro-gun community.

As previously stated it does not even come close to the requirements for a legal sign in South Carolina where you could possibly be prosecuted for carrying for in the Mall. Plus, if memory serves me correctly, the sign (as improper as it is) is not posted at every possible public entrance to the Mall. They can ask you to leave, but any attorney worth half a penny could get it thrown out very easily.

However, there IS a Richland County Sheriff Department Sub Station office inside the Mall, so you couldn't carry inside the RCSD office.

To YOU that would understand a sign's intended communication and purposefully ignore it:

It is a terrible shame that a large percentage of "law abiding" citizens, at least from reading the responses herein, would ignore a private property owner's wish, no matter how it is communicated. I also see great shame in the way many adults act like fickle teenage girls when deciding moment to moment if they want big brother under foot, or holding their hand. I'm embarrassed for their parents, spouse, kids, associates; they don't have real friends because they can't be trusted.

If it is NOT YOUR PROPERTY, then someone else gets to choose the preferences for the property; preferably the OWNER, NOT the STATE, and NOT YOU. If you insist on visiting that property, why would you intentionally pretend the government is at once your best friend? Just so you can trample someone else's rights? If that's the way you roll, you are not trustworthy nor expected to be a loyal friend, and are definitely of questionable character.

What do you really stand for?? Do you know? So you decide minute to minute?? or depending on the measurements of a sign? Really? That is why I mention the Fickle, teenage mentality.

Either you believe in big government, or you don't. Please stop picking and choosing item for item, minute by minute, one side to the other. You wish the "Govment" to not touch your gun rights, yet you want to use that same "govment" when you can use it to abuse someone else. That just proves that you know just enough to get in the way. Any politician can bag & tag you into one group or another and have YOU voting against your own gun, your own church, your own combustion engine, your own tax-increase, etc.

It would be best if you could pry yourself away from the soap opera, horders, idol, MSNBS, etc and do some studying of your State Laws, or the Federalist Papers, or SOMETHING real.

The SC State law code defining No Concealable Weapons signs is articulated so that law-abiding citizens don't get tricked into entering an unfriendly shop where a warning sign might have been missed due to color, size, or location where you're not accustomed to looking. Not to give you an upper hand in an argument. If that's you, just go apply at your city hall for a badge. They need more folks that want to push people around while hiding behind a law.

IF YOU UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE, AND IGNORE IT, THEN YOU NEED TO BE FINED OR JAILED FOR YOUR OBSTINATE INTENT, no matter how the message is communicated.

FNSMOAK

This is the BEST response I've ever read!! Very well stated!!

To YOU that would understand a sign's intended communication and purposefully ignore it:

It is a terrible shame that a large percentage of "law abiding" citizens, at least from reading the responses herein, would ignore a private property owner's wish, no matter how it is communicated. I also see great shame in the way many adults act like fickle teenage girls when deciding moment to moment if they want big brother under foot, or holding their hand. I'm embarrassed for their parents, spouse, kids, associates; they don't have real friends because they can't be trusted.

If it is NOT YOUR PROPERTY, then someone else gets to choose the preferences for the property; preferably the OWNER, NOT the STATE, and NOT YOU. If you insist on visiting that property, why would you intentionally pretend the government is at once your best friend? Just so you can trample someone else's rights? If that's the way you roll, you are not trustworthy nor expected to be a loyal friend, and are definitely of questionable character.

What do you really stand for?? Do you know? So you decide minute to minute?? or depending on the measurements of a sign? Really? That is why I mention the Fickle, teenage mentality.

Either you believe in big government, or you don't. Please stop picking and choosing item for item, minute by minute, one side to the other. You wish the "Govment" to not touch your gun rights, yet you want to use that same "govment" when you can use it to abuse someone else. That just proves that you know just enough to get in the way. Any politician can bag & tag you into one group or another and have YOU voting against your own gun, your own church, your own combustion engine, your own tax-increase, etc.

It would be best if you could pry yourself away from the soap opera, horders, idol, MSNBS, etc and do some studying of your State Laws, or the Federalist Papers, or SOMETHING real.

The SC State law code defining No Concealable Weapons signs is articulated so that law-abiding citizens don't get tricked into entering an unfriendly shop where a warning sign might have been missed due to color, size, or location where you're not accustomed to looking. Not to give you an upper hand in an argument. If that's you, just go apply at your city hall for a badge. They need more folks that want to push people around while hiding behind a law.

IF YOU UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE, AND IGNORE IT, THEN YOU NEED TO BE FINED OR JAILED FOR YOUR OBSTINATE INTENT, no matter how the message is communicated.

FNSMOAK

A business has the right to turn down weapon possesion on they property but the sign should say either (no weapons allow on property) or specify for example attention all personel entering facility no guns allowed but to strictly come outa say no CONCEALED weapons islike punishing a ligit license holder for having a weapon also that facility has to be mindful that they are taken responsibility for protecting all personel entering tha facility if they gonna have a sign like that

I disarmed myself and took my kids in the mall because I was meeting someone else there. This is the first time, and last time that I will patronize this mall. I didn't think it was a legal sign so I wanted to ask. They also have signs when you first enter the parking lot stating they do not allow firearms.

I respect property owners rights to restrict weapons in their place of business, and I have never carried where I was not allowed. I was not asking because I wanted to ignore the sign. I was just curious if it was legal or not. As I respect their rights, it is also my right to take my $ elsewhere, and that is what I will do in the future.

Very well put, thank you for the very detailed reply, this is most helpful, and I agree with you, I'll take my business some where else!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back