Is there a "grace" period once you've filed for a renewal of your CWP?

Hammer-52

Okay, I tried the search function with no luck. So here's the question:
Presumming you go to the sheriff and submit the renewal paperwork before your CWP expires is it still good or can you not "legally" carry until the letter comes back from the sheriff and you go in for a new photo and temp CWP?

Thanks in advance

Link Removed

I don't see any grace period for concealing a firearm in that statute. I only see a grace period for the renewal late fee. You can apply for a renewal 90 days before it expires, and they are required to approve the application within 30 days, so I don't see a need for a grace period.

Depends on you're state. Here in Maine as long as you're application is stamped received before the expiration date it is valid until/ unless a denial letter is received or the new permit arrives.

SC, MI, and UT all require you stay up to date. If you don't submit your renewal early enough to get the new license before the old one expires, you're SOL.

Link Removed

I don't see any grace period for concealing a firearm in that statute. I only see a grace period for the renewal late fee. You can apply for a renewal 90 days before it expires, and they are required to approve the application within 30 days, so I don't see a need for a grace period.

I am no expert on all the states' laws but common sense (lots of luck these days in this asylum, formerly known as the USA and run by its inmates) says that if you can only apply (at least in SC) within 90 days of expiration and the state delays, it is on them and not you. You have done your due diligence and have proof (even a credit receipt if done on internet) of fee payment it would seem you have followed your requirements in a responsible manner and should have no problem. Now if you reapply within a day of your expiration or something unrealistic--maybe you could have a problem--who is to say you will not get "hassled" by an LEO when you are required to show him your expired CCWP and have no proof that "it is in the mail".

Today while at the range I asked one of the CWP instructors and he basically said based on his discussions with the sheriff's office they consider it expired whether you renew 90 or 9 days prior. So if you do NOT have a temporary or new CWP you are SOL.

THANKS for everone's replies!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back