Is the 1911 outdated???

KimberPB

I took some training a few weeks back and while at the class one of the guys was making the argument that the 1911 is old out of date technology. That I should switch to a new Tupperware higher capacity style piece. He said that the 1911's are more prone to malfunctions, Kimbers especially. So I thought this would be a good topic to talk about here. With all the new XDs, Glocks, M&Ps, ects coming out is the 1911 on its way out?

Oh by the way my Kimber ate 400 rounds one day and 300 round another without one issue. She did well. His M&P.... well, two double feeds that could not be cleared. After the second I asked if he'd like to use my Kimber. Lol

I have 4 1911's, and I'm gonna order another one in a day or two. A couple of mine are Kimbers with over 4000 rounds thru them, with no issues at all.

Out of date technology ? Only viewed that way by those who don't have one..........

Classics never go out...........and as for being outdated, they are constantly being tweeked.
anyone ever heard of Ithaca Gun Co......mine was my fathers and it has never missed a beat.

This instructor obviously didn't know what the hell he was talking about. There is a reason that the 1911 is the most imitated handgun design in the world, and it's surely not because it is an old, outdated design.

No I would not say it is out dated. I do think though that the DBL or DBL only is a better design. More user friendly. I have had a couple of 1911's over the years including a Colt Commander but I do prefer DBL or DBL only now.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I love my Kimber it's very accuate for a compact carry pistol, Fits my hand wonderfully, and yet to have a stopage. But I'd also like to get a full size XD or M&P. Both styles have there upside and downside and if either style is not properly maintained they'll all have there problems.

This instructor obviously didn't know what the hell he was talking about. There is a reason that the 1911 is the most imitated handgun design in the world, and it's surely not because it is an old, outdated design.

It wasn't the instructor it was one of the other guys taking the class. To each his own I guess. lol

It wasn't the instructor it was one of the other guys taking the class. To each his own I guess. lol
All I can say is he is probably young and inexperienced. Limp wristing causes malfunctions. I bet he had a hard time hitting the target also. :smile: The 1911 will never be outdated. Like said above; it's the most imitated pistol in the world. You can get one in any price range, any style, double or single stack and in multiple calibers. It's simple in design and reliable. What else can you ask for? I love all of mine!

Hell yes just like the b52,just nothing better to replace it with. I only own 3 and all are 99.999% The reason I carry my plastic instead :big_boss: is weather and sratches.

Hell yes just like the b52,just nothing better to replace it with. I only own 3 and all are 99.999% The reason I carry my plastic instead :big_boss: is weather and sratches.

where do you park those ????:dance3:

Like most have already said old maybe, tired or worn out, not hardly. I have the plastics too, but still love the feel and function of the 1911's.

:victory:

I got to talking with a pilot (CW4) of a Black-hawk back from a tour in Iraq a few months ago, heavy shit, his bird got shot up and lost most major systems over hostiles with just minimal AK ground fire (!) and he barely made it back to a friendly LZ. Being an ex Huey pilot (flew one in GW-1 as a WO1) he said that when the Army finally retires that "piece of shit helo" it will be a Huey & crew that picks up the pilot who flew the last 'Crash-hawk' to the junk-yard. Some kit is just built to last 4 ever!

Canis-Lupus

Last edited:
I love my Glock but one day I will own a 1911A1. If the 1911 is so out dated then why did the US special forces bring back into service? Just like the M14 It is tried and true. It has been tested under conditions in real life and has stood up remarkably. All the new guns like my Glock are fine weapons but a lot of there test are done in a lab and the test are simulated. Good but it's not the real deal.

I have a Kimber cdp2 custom shop , I love it. I never had a miss fire or any trouble of any kind. 1911 will always be around
slyfox

Out Dated that is a lots of laughs. All the swat teams and special forces have gone back to the 1911 and they are Kimbers. You can say what you want about da and da only, for the most part they are not a combat proven firearm. The 1911 is a fighting hand gun and there are very few of them. There are more sold each year then any other cf pistol. More manufacture build 1911's then any other. If a instructor said it was out dated he is very miss informed.

I personally don't like single-action revolvers. I used to make fun of people who used guns that were obsolete when their great-grandfathers were born. Then, one day, it dawned on me that the pistol I carry as my primary carry gun, my favorite pistols, the design I think is superior to all others, dates from the turn of the last century; I quit making fun of them.

I like my 1911s, leave me alone about your superior wonder weapon. I don't like fat magwells that feel too large in my hand and I think plastic is inferior to steel and aluminum. I like a pistol that comes apart and goes back together like quality machinery. I'm used to it and it just feels right in my hand. I trust it and am comfortable using it to defend my family and property.

I sound just like one of those SAA guys I used to make fun of...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
1911's aren't going anywhere... They will be the iconic semi-auto pistol here in the states as long as this country continues to exist.

Are you kidding me? 1911s will continue to be around as long as they're legal. They're one of the American traditions. S&W and Taurus wouldn't jump on the 1911 bandwagon unless there was a market for them. We have so many 1911 makers they couldn't possibly stay in business unless there was a demand for their product.

My favorite 1911 is Para with Springfield coming a close second. My P-12.45 is one of my favorite CCWs. It is on my list to acquire more; another P-12, a P-13, a P-16.40 steel frame to convert to 10mm and a Hawg or two.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back