Is Massachusetts now "restrictive may issue" like NJ and MD?

BamaBoy

Recent threads indicate that Massachusetts is now requiring that applicants show "need" to obtain the unrestricted version of the LTC permit. Is this in fact the case? Has Massachusetts joined New Jersey and Maryland in placing an almost insurmountable obstacle in front of applicants?

In other words, should I forget about applying for a nonresident permit?

From what I have been told, it depends on your area if you live in Mass. You do have to show cause. Some areas are easier, than others. If you are a resident, you have to go to the towns police for your interview, if you are a non-resident, you have to go near Boston for the interview. From what I've been told they ask the same questions that are on the form.

I've looked into things, and from what the Mass Constitution states, you do have the right. Now if the police officers will agree might be a different story.

From what I see:

In Part the first:

Article I. All men are born free and equal, and have certain natural, essential, and unalienable rights; among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties; that of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property; in fine, that of seeking and obtaining their safety and happiness.

Art. XVII. The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority and be governed by it.

There might be more, but also IANAL.

It is up to the Chief of the town/city you live in. I live in a town that doesn't issue unrestricted unless you can show a reason you need it. Took me a little bit of work, but I got mine. Some towns/cities issue to everyone though.

It is up to the Chief of the town/city you live in. I live in a town that doesn't issue unrestricted unless you can show a reason you need it. Took me a little bit of work, but I got mine. Some towns/cities issue to everyone though.

Agreed - it depends on the town. In my town, I had zero problem. The form asked for a reason, and I responded with "self defense and all other lawful purposes." I was concerned because the certificate for the course I took (NRA Basic Pistol) was more than 5 years old, but it turned out to be no problem at all.

Non-resident permits may be more of a problem. I don't know for sure.

Thanks for your responses, guys. Mass sounds kind of like Pennsylvania and California, where for residents of some counties it's tough, but for residents of others it's easy. Not sure I want to drive 1,200 miles for an interview, though. If appreciate hearing from anyone who has obtained a nonresident permit recently.

Most states are discretionary issue. Even the ones that claim they're "shall issue." They will still deny the permit if their is something bad in your background. The second amendment is still not being treated as an inaliable right that cannot be denied.

Agreed - it depends on the town. In my town, I had zero problem. The form asked for a reason, and I responded with "self defense and all other lawful purposes." I was concerned because the certificate for the course I took (NRA Basic Pistol) was more than 5 years old, but it turned out to be no problem at all.

Non-resident permits may be more of a problem. I don't know for sure.

MA is a great example of how selective acknowledgement of natural rights is a legitimate threat of liberalism. Some towns have police chiefs that are reasonable and have respect for the Bill of Rights and treat people as law abiding citizens with respect. Others choose to treat people like subjects and decide by arbitrary means, who gets a permit and who does not...

I know one person who lives in another state who applied for and received a non resident permit for MA. He indicated that he had to prove need. He was also active military at the time he applied so I'm not sure if that had some influence..

Go with what 6shooter said (I love the "Give peace a chance" statement!) It does not sound like Massachusetts is as strict as New Jersey, but that doesn't mean they won't compete!

The only Pennsylvania county that tries its very hardest to be may issue is Philadelphia. The gun-hating city council there recently passed a law prohibiting nonresident permits in Philadelphia, even though passing such a law violates the Pennsylvania Constitution.

just sat for my ltc interview

I'm a non res Mass applicant and just went to Chelsea last week for photos and prints. They also verbally asked questions that are on the app. As well as why I wanted the ltc. The whole process went surprisingly well. Anyone know approximately how long of a wait before I see a permit in the mail? Assuming they give me one of course. FYI. I have several other non res permits from other states as well as my home state. Mass was a tough process that will have to be done anualy. Sheeshhh!

Is this true? My non res permit is useless in Philly?!?

It is a scenario that will have to play itself out in court, but understandibly, being the test case is probably not on anyone's top 10 list. Pennsylvania State law requires municipalities to follow the state law and the measure below violates that statute.

I will have to look into this further, but I think the City of Philadelphia only wants to allow resident permits, meaning that if you live in Utah, then they will accept a Utah permit as valid.

The city council passed the measure because they were frustrated with what they call the "Florida Loophole." Basically, with Philadelphia trying to be "may issue," they were getting frustrated with Philadelphia residents getting nonresident permits after being denied a Pennsylvania permit in the city.

It's another example of a place denying rights where they are needed most.

Go with what 6shooter said (I love the "Give peace a chance" statement!) It does not sound like Massachusetts is as strict as New Jersey, but that doesn't mean they won't compete!

The only Pennsylvania county that tries its very hardest to be may issue is Philadelphia. The gun-hating city council there recently passed a law prohibiting nonresident permits in Philadelphia, even though passing such a law violates the Pennsylvania Constitution.

I said that to someone in a conversation about unconditional peace. I got one of those looks and some laughs... Oh well..

Until recently, anyone with a permit from his home state (or any other state) could easily obtain a Pennsylvania permit through the mail from the sheriff of Centre County. No fingerprints, no picture, just the standard questionnaire, though it might have required a basic pistol course. Basically just a computer printout, the permit was inexpensive and good for 5 years, but it took care of any questions about Philadelphia or nonresidency. I got one last year, and it doesn't even say "nonresident" on it.

However, Pennsylvania has now gone to a fancy permit, complete with hologram, so you have to appear in person to have your picture taken. I don't know whether they require fingerprints, but they say they'll mail you the permit. So it's easier for somebody from Alabama to get a PA permit than it is someone in Philadelphia!

In terms of Philly not honoring permits, Omaha, Milwaukee, San Francisco, and some other cities have tried going against state law, and the state attorneys general (or the courts) have shot them down. Pennsylvania also says on its website that they do not distinguish between resident and nonresident out-of-state permits. If you have a Florida permit, it's good in PA no matter where you live. So in Philly you're probably OK, though you might be hassled. Believe it or not, open carry is legal, and Philly police who recently harassed an open carrier had to admit that they were unaware of the law. Great, huh?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back