Is cocaine the same as a gun?

FN1910

I really don't know what to say about this and it really isn't gun related except for the comment comparing it to a gun. Just thought I would see if anyone else wants to comment on the entore situation.:angry:

Link Removed

The mother and grandmother of a 4-year-old Darlington girl were arrested Tuesday after the child ate cocaine from a bag she found in the suspects’ home, Darlington County Sheriff’s Capt. Andy Locklair said.

Jessica McKnight, 21, and Dorothy McKnight Green, 51, both of 123 Robin Lane in Darlington, are each charged with one count of unlawful conduct toward a child, Darlington County Detention Center booking reports show.

The S.C. Department of Social Services received an anonymous tip that the girl found a baggy of cocaine in the home and started eating from it, Locklair said.

Authorities performed a hair follicle test on the child and found cocaine in her body.

Darlington County sheriff’s deputies began investigating the incident in February after DSS case workers contacted them, Locklair said.

The 4-year-old and a 1-year-old child who was also living in the home were placed in emergency protective custody. The younger child didn’t test positive for cocaine, Locklair said.

The 4-year-old wasn’t injured, Locklair said.

The two women were arrested Tuesday after deputies completed the investigation, he said.

“This is no different than having a loaded gun laying out and a child getting hold of it,” Locklair said.

A very small amount of cocaine can be deadly to a 4yr. old. His parents need to be put under the jail:mad: Cocaine can certainly be deadly but I think a gun in the hands of a child can be even deadlier. Ingesting cocaine can certainly kill the child but a loaded gun in the hands of a child could potentially up the chances of more than one person dying.

This topic can be heavily debated in many ways. Cocaine and a loaded firearm are both EXTREMELY DANGEROUS in the hands of a minor. What can be even DEADLIER as well as more common would be a book/box of matches or household cleaners. What Cpt. Locklair fails fails to mention that there are more homes that have household cleaners and matches than do "loaded guns". :eek:

Having children in the home is a VERY BIG responsibility. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the adults in the home be responsible and PROPERLY SECURE anything that can be dangerous to the children.

gf

This topic can be heavily debated in many ways. Cocaine and a loaded firearm are both EXTREMELY DANGEROUS in the hands of a minor. What can be even DEADLIER as well as more common would be a book/box of matches or household cleaners. What Cpt. Locklair fails fails to mention that there are more homes that have household cleaners and matches than do "loaded guns". :eek:

Having children in the home is a VERY BIG responsibility. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the adults in the home be responsible and PROPERLY SECURE anything that can be dangerous to the children.

gf

And Kitchen Knives
And Gasoline
And Anti-Freeze
And Raid
And Rat Poison
And Car Keys
And Bleach
... I could go on.

Teaching your childrena about guns, is just like teraching them about everything else in the house that could kill them.

Cocaine??? Um... that too.

JeffWard

Either way they are both very stupid to give to child that young. They deserve to go to prison for a long time.

I'm not much for the state interfering in family affairs. I would accept this intrusion only in extreme circumstances. This would be one of them. I cannot abide FOOLS! :mad:

Cocaine and guns? The analogy doesn't hold up for me at all...

The only way I see there being any equivalence is if children are in the home. I have loaded guns in my home but no kids. And if anyone with children ever visits I unload them and lock them away. Obviously, leaving a loaded gun where a young child can get it is just as irresponsible as leaving cocaine lying around. But possession of a gun in and of itself is not felonious whereas cocaine possession certainly is. The statement by the person in authority was meant for maximum shock value. :wacko:

"I'll take "Activities most normal folks would consider dangerous" for $1000 Alex"..

Leaving your child loose in a running automobile.
"What is dumb Alex?"
"Yes."

Leaving a loaded gun unattended within reach of anyone.
"What is irresponsible Alex?"
"That's right."

Trying to make Mr Fork and Mr Outlet play nice together.
"What's just plain stupid Alex"
"Very good"

Leaving a bag full of illicit drugs just lying around the house with children 4 years of age or under present.
"What is an accident waiting to happen Alex?"
"Sorry no. It's considered normal behavior for drug addicts"...:wacko:

Ok. Ok. Got carried away there, but I think I agree with the comparison. The only difference I see is the potential danger is to the innocent child with the cocaine. If it were a gun perhaps the child could shoot the irresponsible gun owner who left it lying around. I'd consider that a painful reminder...:biggrin:

Peace...

I never seen anyone snort a Gun, Tho some druggie's should try..... or they could just shoot up.. Free instruction's provided on request..........................

When I first got my Ruger GP100 someone who didn't know guns said it looked like a cowboy gun. I said "I think it looks more like something a coke dealer in Miami in 1974 would have on his table."

They both can be dangerous. The difference, A gun has a useful purpose. Cocaine no useful purpose as far as I know.

They both can be dangerous. The difference, A gun has a useful purpose. Cocaine no useful purpose as far as I know.

I don't think cocaine's usefulness matters for the purpose of this discussion. After all, one could argue keeping alcohol in the house serves no purpose other than recreation.

Cocaine's legal status aside for the sake of argument, I agree both can be dangerous. It is completely irresponsible for a parent or guardian to allow a child access to drugs (legal or otherwise) or to any loaded firearm. As common sense dictates this also applies to household cleaners and other chemicals, a hot iron or stove, etc.

Not all drug users are abusers, nor are they all irresponsible morons. These people, however, seem to fit nicely into that stereotype. I'm saddened any child is in a situation such as this, and I'm sincerely thankful the kid is ok. I hope this turns out to be a lasting wake-up call for the adults involved, and serves as a warning to the children later in life.

I understand the point Capt. Locklear was trying to make, but I don't think it was a very good analogy. It's really too bad firearms have been demonized to the point where this is a common and accepted viewpoint, especially in the media.

I don't think cocaine's usefulness matters for the purpose of this discussion. After all, one could argue keeping alcohol in the house serves no purpose other than recreation.

Cocaine's legal status aside for the sake of argument, I agree both can be dangerous. It is completely irresponsible for a parent or guardian to allow a child access to drugs (legal or otherwise) or to any loaded firearm. As common sense dictates this also applies to household cleaners and other chemicals, a hot iron or stove, etc.

Not all drug users are abusers, nor are they all irresponsible morons. These people, however, seem to fit nicely into that stereotype. I'm saddened any child is in a situation such as this, and I'm sincerely thankful the kid is ok. I hope this turns out to be a lasting wake-up call for the adults involved, and serves as a warning to the children later in life.

I understand the point Capt. Locklear was trying to make, but I don't think it was a very good analogy. It's really too bad firearms have been demonized to the point where this is a common and accepted viewpoint, especially in the media.

Although I do not drink any alcohol very often I would not put it in the same category as cocaine. Any use of cocaine other than perhaps prescribed by a physician for certain medical conditions as far as I am concerned is completely irresponsible to say the least. That is why I made the statement about the usefulness of cocaine compared to guns. IMHO.

Although I do not drink any alcohol very often I would not put it in the same category as cocaine. Any use of cocaine other than perhaps prescribed by a physician for certain medical conditions as far as I am concerned is completely irresponsible to say the least. That is why I made the statement about the usefulness of cocaine compared to guns. IMHO.

Understood, and I'm not saying I disagree. I just meant that regardless of it's legal status or it's potential for abuse, any parent who allows their kids access to those types of things is grossly irresponsible, and in any such case comparing it to a legal firearm is a poor analogy.

Understood, and I'm not saying I disagree. I just meant that regardless of it's legal status or it's potential for abuse, any parent who allows their kids access to those types of things is grossly irresponsible, and in any such case comparing it to a legal firearm is a poor analogy.

Agreed. A major problem in this country is a lack of parental supervision, discipline, and moral instruction.

:sarcastic: I thought that's why they invented the television.

Before anyone accuses me a trolling, that's meant to be toungue-in-cheek.

and if that wasn't a good enough baby sitter they now have the internet.

wow what great parents. people like that should not be allowed to have kids or guns. freakin nut jobs! enjoy jail and being someones bit*h. wait she probably already is.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back