Is a permit requiered

Rocketgeezer

I know you can keep/carry a firearm in your home without a permit, you just cannot leave your home with it, my question is if you run a business, retail shop, car repair shop, restaurant, are you allowed to carry the gun inside your place of business without having a permit, I believe you can as long as you are inside your business's building, but I am not sure, and I want to be sure before I give a friend wrong information,............Navy, you seem to have a nack for digging up this stuff, I cannot find a definative answer anywhere, can you help me out?

My information is that if you own the business, it is an extension of your home. The same applies to an RV. That's in California.

You guys are not going to believe this but I really did stumble over a answer, it says it is defendable for a non permited person to carry a handgun in or on there home, residence or place of business or premises.........so no you don't need a permit to carry inside your own business, I did call a buddy, a sheriffs deputy, and he said he though you could but he was not sure ether,........got to call him back

In Florida, it is. And you can have it in your vehicle too with the restriction that it must be securely encased if you don't have a license to carry. I carry almost all the time but with a license.

In Florida, it is. And you can have it in your vehicle too with the restriction that it must be securely encased if you don't have a license to carry. I carry almost all the time but with a license.

Yes I understand Florida is kind of strange that way, but in TN I did find out that the same sort of regs apply as if it was in your home, I was also told that as long as you are on your own property your good, but I would feel safe in your home or business, outside I'm not so sure, like everything else it would depend on the situation

The problem you had in TN until recently was getting the firearm to your place of business without a permit. But, I think that all changed the first part of July. So, you can now transport a firearm in your vehicle even if you don't have a permit.

-

it all depends on your location, the OP's post should be moved from the general forum to a state specific one

Howdy,

it all depends on your location, the OP's post should be moved from the general forum to a state specific one

+1!

Laws are different from state to state and some cities will have additional laws.

You need the check the laws of your state and area.

Paul

The problem you had in TN until recently was getting the firearm to your place of business without a permit. But, I think that all changed the first part of July. So, you can now transport a firearm in your vehicle even if you don't have a permit.

You always were able to transport a firearm in TN. It just had to be unloaded, as it would be otherwise considered carrying.

Yes I understand Florida is kind of strange that way, but in TN I did find out that the same sort of regs apply as if it was in your home, I was also told that as long as you are on your own property your good, but I would feel safe in your home or business, outside I'm not so sure, like everything else it would depend on the situation

Read the appropriate codes at LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool, such as 39-17-1308 - Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon:

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;

(2) By a person authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351;

(3) At the person's:

(A) Place of residence;

(B) Place of business; or

(C) Premises;

(4) Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity;

(5) By a person possessing a rifle or shotgun while engaged in the lawful protection of livestock from predatory animals;

(6) By a Tennessee valley authority officer who holds a valid commission from the commissioner of safety pursuant to this part while the officer is in the performance of the officer's official duties;

(7) By a state, county or municipal judge or any federal judge or any federal or county magistrate;

(8) By a person possessing a club or baton who holds a valid state security guard/officer registration card as a private security guard/officer, issued by the commissioner, and who also has certification that the officer has had training in the use of club or baton that is valid and issued by a person certified to give training in the use of clubs or batons;

(9) By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws; or

(10) By any out-of-state, full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer who holds a valid commission card from the appropriate out-of-state law enforcement agency and a photo identification; provided, that if no valid commission card and photo identification are retained, then it shall be unlawful for that officer to carry firearms in this state and the provisions of this section shall not apply. The defense provided by this subdivision (a)(10) shall only be applicable if the state where the out-of-state officer is employed has entered into a reciprocity agreement with this state that allows a full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer in Tennessee to lawfully carry or possess a weapon in the other state.

(b) The defenses described in this section are not available to persons described in § 39-17-1307(b)(1).

Also, there were a number of laws enacted that became effective on July 1, but don't seem to have made it yet into this Tennessee Code Research Tool, such as SB 1774:

As enacted, creates an exception to the offense of carrying a firearm in public without a handgun carry permit that the person carrying or possessing a firearm or ammunition in a motor vehicle is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm and is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

39-17-1307 doesn't have the language in the Tennessee Code Research Tool that was enacted: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB1774.pdf:

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by deleting
subsection (e) in its entirety and substituting instead the following:

(e) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying
or possessing a firearm in a motor vehicle if:
(1) The person is not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a
firearm; and
(2) The motor vehicle is privately-owned.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2014, the public welfare requiring it.

bofh did an excellent job of beating me to it in his post #9 :)

LOL Yea I see that, but thanks for coming back anyways, and my friend did get herself a 38 snubby, spent a couple hrs at the range yesterday, shes not bad with it, don't know how long it will stay, she likes my Glocks better, less recoil, easyer to reload, and the permit class is scheduled

In Virginia you can strap on two leg holsters, two cross draw holsters, two iwb holsters, two belt holsters, hang a single point sling with an AR attached, fill the holsters with your favorite guns, loaded magazines can be put in an open backpack, and in the guns magazine port, and you can then walk down the street without ever having to get permission...except for the iwb holsters if you put your shirt over the top of them. What a concept!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back