Is a permit needed to buy a handgun?

Glenaki

My daughter recently went to a gun show in North Carolina and tried to buy a gun. When asked if she had a permit she said no, because she is a Florida resident and only in North Carolina on a temporary basis. She was not looking to carry concealed, but they said they could not sell a weapon to her! What is the law on the subject?

In NC you do have to buy a permit for each gun purchase. It really makes no since to me because you can buy up to 5 at a time and there good for 6 months. So you can carry a few around with you just in case you run up on a deal. Its been 15 years since I lived in NC, so I'm going of memory, but yes a permit is required.

Yes, in NC a permit from the sheriff of the NC county of residence is required to purchase handgun unless you have a NC Concealed Handgun Permit. But in any case, in all states (Federal law), as a non resident of the state you must have the handgun sent to a FFL in your state of residence, you can't buy one and walk out the door with it.

see ATF site:
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back