Is a holster required by law for concealed carry?

SquaredAway249

I recently got my concealed carry permit and am waiting for a concealed holster that I ordered online. Is it against the law if I want to conceal carry without a holster? I live in El Paso county.

I would never carry a sidearm unholstered, or unprotected, even if not on my person.

Safety is the order of the day. That trigger/guard must be protected. Pocket in a purse, sturdy fanny pack. There are lots of options. Whatever is safe and concealed, and works for you.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay!

Not against the law.... but not very smart, either. Purse carry without a holster is relatively dangerous due to the possibility of pulling the trigger while digging around for car keys or whatever else is in there. Also, what is the first item a bad guy is likely to snatch? Hint....the purse. And there goes your gun with it.

Just how long is it going to take for the holster to arrive? If it is going to be an extended period of time, go to a sporting goods or even some hardware store and pay $20-30 for an Uncle Mike's nylon holster that will be better than nothing for temporary use.

If you do decide to carry in a fanny pack/purse, I would keep the gun in a pocket all by itself.

Not against the law.... but not very smart, either. Purse carry without a holster is relatively dangerous due to the possibility of pulling the trigger while digging around for car keys or whatever else is in there. Also, what is the first item a bad guy is likely to snatch? Hint....the purse. And there goes your gun with it.

Just how long is it going to take for the holster to arrive? If it is going to be an extended period of time, go to a sporting goods or even some hardware store and pay $20-30 for an Uncle Mike's nylon holster that will be better than nothing for temporary use.

If you do decide to carry in a fanny pack/purse, I would keep the gun in a pocket all by itself.

Just for the record, I would never carry in a purse. Not because of any of your reasons, but because I'm prone to leaving it in various places.

I prefer my pistols to be in a holster, but I know some that at times carry one in a coat pocket.
Small world, I'm also in El Paso Co.

Carrying a pistol, without a properly fitting holster of some type, whether in a purse/fanny pack or otherwise somewhere on your person, is an invitation to a negligent discharge.

I recently got my concealed carry permit and am waiting for a concealed holster that I ordered online. Is it against the law if I want to conceal carry without a holster? I live in El Paso county.

No it is not against any law that I know of, but depending on exactly what gun your talking about and where you keep it, it can be dangerous,

Get a simple nylon holster in the mean time. I have used Link Removed in the past. Probably the cheapest and most versatile nylon holster out there that doesn't have a crappy plastic clip. Its metal clip is strong enough for the nylon holster to stay inside the waist band when drawing. I did remove the velcro retention strap as I am carrying inside the waist band. Using a pair of scissors, I also removed the belt loop on the side that is facing my body as it is scratching my skin.

Just for the record, I would never carry in a purse. Not because of any of your reasons, but because I'm prone to leaving it in various places.

Me too! I purse carried for a few weeks while my tattoo healed up, and boy was I paranoid about it... Not fun! :laugh:

I would never, ever, EVER EVER EVER carry in a purse.

People would look at me funny. A man carrying a purse and all. (hehehe).

I'd recommend a little holster even for pocket carry. Keep that trigger protected. There are cheap pocket-carry holsters out there. It's still cool enough too that you can get an el-cheap-o hip holster and conceal it pretty well under baggier clothes or a jacket. Gander Mountain out here had some $15 IWB holster. Better than nothing. And a whole lot cheaper than hole-in-leg syndrome, or a stolen gun. In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of off body carry. Snatched purse, or even just something shifting; remember fine motor skills like opening a zipper or manipulating a pistol buried in a purse will go by the wayside in a life-or-death situation. If you've ever been in a situation in your life where you have been truly terrified, and tried to open a lock or get your key in the ignition or something like that you'll know what I mean. If you're terrified, shaky, potentially going to die if you don't react soon, are you going to be able to get that zipper open and find your gun, quickly? With a holster, even a cheap one, you can make reaching for the gun instinctive, and it doesn't require fine motor skills. Just grab the grip and pull. Once the gun is pointed down range, put your finger on the trigger. If necessary, squeeze.

My $0.02.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back