is a glock a good beginner gun

mikebowsher1

I'm new to ccw and op so I was just wondering if I can get some info please and thank you

My first pistol was a Glock 19. Since the I've purchased a Glock 26. Glocks are not for everyone. Make sure it fits your hand and if you can run through a box of rounds to see if you like the feel.

Cant go wrong a Glock. They are very simple in how they function which I think is good for a beginner. Because they do not have tons of unnecessary safeties like you find on a 1911, Glocks teach you that the real safety is your brain. If you buy a Glock, you will quickly realize one of the most important things to do is be aware of your trigger finger. They are also simple in the take down which is great for a beginner, especially when you need to clean it. Other than that, they are very popular guns and you will find plenty of info about them online, plenty of other Glock owners, and plenty of accessories for your new Glock.

Yes, Glock is great for the beginner as well as the pro. Whatever gun you get should fit your hand. Then, take a class. You wouldn't drive a car without prior instruction, the same goes for a gun. Find an instructor you feel comfortable with and sign up for a class. Then go out and practice. Always remember these two rules 1-Be Safe 2-Have Fun.

If you want to have fun, get a 22 caliber gun. The bullets are more cheaper. As you go along, you will find that you need more gun, more bullets, more range time -- then buy another gun, perhaps a Glock? Get comfortable and adept with shooting first before buying a more serious gun. Just my opinion.

especially when you need to clean it.

What? You dont need to clean a glock, ask most glock owners! What kind of crazy talk is that anyways, I mean come on! Who takes care of something they are betting their lives on?

Ok, now back to being serious. If your looking for polymer, Glocks are good and IMO so are Springfield XD's. If your looking for a basic pistol that you can upgrade the crap outta, then go Glock. If your just looking for self defense, shoot as many guns as your situation allows and go from there. In my slice of heaven, we dont have indoor ranges, or anywhere to rent guns from, so its all what fits in your hand comfortably and LOTS of research to keep from buying something that doesnt fit the bill so YMMV

haha. you do not need to clean a glock, sure you do not need to clean then. But that just makes me feel dirty
and after a few thousand rounds and you still carry your dirty glock....it is going to smell a mile away...!

so no need to keep it concealed man, they can smell you a mile away, hehe.

had to make a joke of it...but you are correct you do not need to do much maintenance on glocks, but it is best practice to keep it clean and lubricated.

glocks are awsome in any environment, but they do rust... on the Glocks you can modify the hell out of them..

just get a good solid gun that will bring you joy and not pain.

Make sure you get a kydex holster or a holster that has a reinforced mouth for reholstering. Soft holsters can get hooked on the trigger when holstering. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot u will be fine.

My first gun was a Glock in .40. I took it to Front Sight back when and have not looked back. ...'cept how did all the other guns get into my safe?

Yup you don't need to clean them much feed them well and you will get cookies from owning one. But alot of ppl will hate you. I can say I love the looks and feel of my 1911's. My kimbers are looking sweet but they don't perform as well as the ugly girl Glock IME......and they eat anything

Glocks are good guns. I've got two, a Glock 19 and a Glock 22.

That being said, a Glock is like the C programming language. It will do whatever it's capable of that you tell it to do, good or bad. If you tell C to read/write outside of an array, it will, crashing the program (and maybe the OS). If you point a Glock at your foot and pull the trigger, it'll shoot you.

A Glock is a better second handgun than a first one, although someone could certainly learn how to safely use one as his first handgun.

My first carry pistol and only pistol I own is a Glock 23. I believe by starting out as your trigger finger being the ONLY safety, it trains your brain and muscle memory the best. If you start with; we'll say, a 1911, you have a MANUAL safety to rely on. Now, a couple years later, you want a Glock. How are you going to remember there is no manual safety?

You ALWAYS have to be safety conscious, but with the Glock, you really have to pay attention.

Put dummy rounds in it and practice, practice, practice drawing until your muscle memory is 100% on drawing with your finger NOWHERE NEAR THAT TRIGGER. Then keep practicing that the next day and the next. That Glock is always "Hot". Once your brain and trigger finger sync "as one", your off on the right start. Good luck and welcome to the world of carry!!!! You have many friends on this site. Let us know how this all goes for ya!!!

Its hard to say if a Glock is a good beginner gun. Whats good for me might not be a good gun for you. My personal opinion is that its about whats comfortable. If your not comfortable with the gun you buy, then you wont carry it and it wont serve the purpose you bought it for. Most gun stores will have many guns on site that you can, at least, pick up and handle. This will give you a good idea the way the gun fits in your hand, if its to heavy etc, etc. Its not fair if someone tells you that you need to purchase a certain name brand because its the best gun for a beginner. With that being said I own two Glocks. One is for my duty carry at work and the other is for off duty. I chose the Glock because its reliable and a good all around combat gun. I went with the little brother of my full size gun for off duty so that I would be carrying a similar gun in both cases. No one can tell you what is a good gun for you, you need to figure that out through experience, and trial and error, on the range of course. I know I didn't answer your question directly, but I hope I gave you some things to think about.

Everyone will tell you what should be your best beginner gun, but, the truth is that the previous post is the most accurate. You will need to define what is the best gun for yourself. Also be open minded enough to realize that once you make up your mind, you can change it as well. Carrying around a full sized auto in all situations will get very old, very quickly, especially since there are some very good options (both ballistically and ergonomically) in compact and sub-compact handguns (both revolver and automatic).

If you are able to, go to a range and fire as many guns as you can while still being able to be objective about them. You will naturally move towards what you can control and use the best. Also realize that to truly carry every day, one single handgun may not fit the bill. You may need two or three (full size, compact and sub-compact / pocket gun).

As for your carry protocol, the same is true. Most will tell you that an IWB Kydex combo is best. I don't know of anyone who carries on a regular basis that doesn't have a drawer full of holsters. Why? Because you may need a different holster for the same gun for different carry situations as well as trial and error. You may love one today and find something better tomorrow.

Truth be told, just like everything in life, it will take time, trial and experience to figure out what is right for YOU. If you are not part of an agency that dictates what, when and where you carry, the options are endless. Whatever fits you best, and you feel most comfortable with will be the best for you. If you aren't comfortable and confident, you will stop carrying and defeat the purpose of having a handgun for self protection.

Good luck, and don't forget to enjoy the process. It really can be a lot of fun training, choosing and evaluating if you look at it that way!

The short answer is Yes, the Glock is a good beginner gun. So is ANY high quality, well-made pistol or revolver, in any caliber that you can physically handle. My first pistol was the full-size .45 my Dad had carried in the Army in WWII. As a beginner, though, concentrate on getting high-quality training, and LOTS and LOTS of correct practice, to pound in good habits.

I received my CCP in June of this year. Never had a pistol before. I feel very good about Glock 26 being my choice for my first gun. I feel that I am starting with a clean slate of proper mindset and safety handling right off the bat. I don't have to unlearn anything up to this point and safety becomes second nature because it is the only thing I know. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Apparently Glocks must be pretty good weapons, I mean with so many ardent supporters...... how can one go wrong by going with the flow?

Wait! Isn't that how Obama got elected? (LOL!)

Still, having the freedom of choice (still) of many weapons.... I still prefer autos with a decock function for carry weapons. But that's just me.

As for delayed first shot because of "safeties"...... "Draw-click-boom" is almost as fast as "Draw-boom" and the difference is measured in nanoseconds. If my life hangs on the balance of nanoseconds, no matter the situation, I'm probably screwed anyway, so why fret about it?

Go with what is "good" for you AND functions always.

GG

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back