Is a .380 an effective caliber for self defense?

How does your singular incident support your claim?

It doesn't, no more than yours.

There are as many studies and articles showing large calibers not stopping a threat as there are small. Every situation is different, every bullet will do differently than the one before it, as with every confrontation involving the use of force.

I think caliber has a lot less to do with it than the person behind the gun. That goes both ways...

It doesn't, no more than yours.

What anecdotal incident did I post to support what claim? Please quote the post from this thread. Good luck with that.

There are as many studies and articles showing large calibers not stopping a threat as there are small. Every situation is different, every bullet will do differently than the one before it, as with every confrontation involving the use of force.

I think caliber has a lot less to do with it than the person behind the gun. That goes both ways...

Studies and Articles aren't quite anecdotal posts on an internet forum. Further Studies and Articles in and of themselves are meaningless without supporting documentation from reputable sources. Please feel free to support your assertion that smaller cartridges are as effective as larger ones.

My first handgun was a .380 and it was the coolest thing I had ever sseen but I wouldn't carry a .380 for SD. I might carry it for my BUG in the summer, If I didn't have anything else,. I've heard stories from LEO friends of .380 bullets bouncing off windows.

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 loaded with good defensive ammo and trust it completely. Many underestimate the .380 for self defense. Shot placement is what it's all about.

:big_boss:

How does your singular incident support your claim? Is it your claim that all those shot with a .380 will suffer initial paralysis of their right arm? What if the antaganist is left handed? Is the .380 then still a good choice?
Dude, come on...

I think that the .380 works just fine as long as the shot placement is in the chest or head area. With newer technology for ammo the .380 is right there or better than a .38 fired out of a snubbie. Now most people would say, yep, a .38 is a fine calaber and ignore the .380 just because they don't know the specs on newer ammo. Is it the best ammo? No, it isn't, I will agree to that point. I would rather have 6 or 7 rounds of .380 than 5 rounds of .38.

Is a .380 good enough for self defense is like asking if a Chevy is good enough to drive across country.
If the .380 is well taken care of, has had 250 to 400 rounds sent down range, and has fired 50 or more rounds of the defense ammo it uses, then the .380 is fine for self-defense. Shot placement is the key.

:dance3:

Dude, come on...

It was just as valid (and inane: which was the point) a question as was the conclusion presented based on the information given. Come on dude ..............

I think that the .380 works just fine as long as the shot placement is in the chest or head area. With newer technology for ammo the .380 is right there or better than a .38 fired out of a snubbie. Now most people would say, yep, a .38 is a fine calaber and ignore the .380 just because they don't know the specs on newer ammo. Is it the best ammo? No, it isn't, I will agree to that point. I would rather have 6 or 7 rounds of .380 than 5 rounds of .38.

There are several .38 spl loads that pass the FBI protocal, there are no .380acp loads that do.

People continue to post shot placement while ignoring penetration ........ a perfectly placed shot that does not penetrate to the vitals can get you killed as well as a miss. Ask Agent Dove, oh wait you can't he's dead.

As Platt climbed out of the passenger side car window, one of Dove's 9 mm rounds (Winchester 115gr Silvertip) hit his right upper arm and went on to penetrate his chest, stopping an inch away from his heart. The autopsy found Platt’s right lung was collapsed and his chest cavity contained 1.3 liters of blood, suggesting damage to the main blood vessels of the right lung. Of his many gunshot wounds, this first was the primary injury responsible for Platt’s eventual death.

Dove's 9 mm pistol was rendered inoperative after being hit by one of Platt's bullets. Hanlon fired at Platt and was shot in the hand while reloading. Grogan and Dove were kneeling alongside the driver’s side of their car. Both were preoccupied with getting Dove's gun running and did not detect that Platt was aggressively advancing upon them. When Platt rounded the rear of their car he killed Grogan with a shot to the chest, shot Hanlon in the groin area and then killed Dove with two shots to the head.

1986 Miami shootout

IMO, the .380 load should be carefully studied before choosing the one in which you would put in your pistol. Penetration matters at least as much as placement. If the round lacks penetration, the fight will continue. Under high stress, they may not even realize they are shot with it. Know the ballistics on your .380 cartridge.

I was out shooting today and I carried my .380, 9mm and .45. I had a couple of old thick phone books to check penetration on my .380. Using Hornady Critical Defense the round fully penetrated the phone book. I feel that if the little .380 can do that then one might consider it a viable round to carry when you can't carry your normal CCW. I wouldn't really want to carry a .380 full time, but for times when you cant carrry you normal weapon then it sure beats nothing IMO.

My daughter & wife are both small frame girls..380 is about the largest caliber they can comfertable carry & properly shoot. I'd rather them have the ability to shoot 7 rds of .380 at a target & likely hit the target everytime, than 7 rds of 9mm & not be able to hit the target because there hands are to small to properly hd the gun & manage the recoil.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back