iowa petition to legalize silencers

ghostman74

Let freedom ring
Hi all, new to the forum, thought id post this love to shoot at the range alot think these would help keep the noise level down so we wouldnt have to use earplugs all the time thier legal to use and buy in about 38 other states, so hopefully this petition might help Hi,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Legalize Gun Silencers In Iowa For Law Abiding Citizens" Petition Legalize Gun Silencers In Iowa For Law Abiding Citizens utm_medium=email&utm_source=system&utm_campaign=Send%2Bto%2BFriend

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time.

Thanks! ------------------------------ ,

Glad to see Iowans taking up this cause. Iowa has obviously gotten better with the passing of our carry laws but we are still getting cheated when it comes to suppressed firearms and short barreled "SBR's". I think our politicians watch to many action movies and believe the hype rather than the actual benefit sound suppression systems bring in the way of noise and hearing conservation. Check the stats on how many people have been killed by a silenced weapon in this country, almost non-existent so what it the governments reason to deny them to us?

Without addressing the issue of whether suppressors should or should not be legal, I'm afraid that there's a weakness in your logic. If there are very few people with suppressors on their guns, the fact that very few people are killed by guns with suppressors does not add any support to the argument for allowing suppressors. Look at the number of people in the US killed by being bitten by their pet cobra. Very, very, very few. But a large part of that is that very, very, very few people have pet cobras, so that fact that very few people are killed by pet cobras does not support an argument that pet cobras are a safe pet to have.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against allowing suppressors, just pointing out a flaw in the logic.

Im not sure I follow your argument but if you are making your argument as one of numbers and how few silencers are out there I would ask why you think there are so few? 40 out of 50 states in this country have a level of legalization for civilians to own and use suppressed weapons. I would say that there are likely to be more out there than you think and yet you never hear of criminal actions with them. It is not a matter of numbers, not a matter of it being an item that increases endangerment to people, it is a matter of once again people making their assessments and beliefs on what they see coming out of Hollywood.

While I would also like to see this happen, would much rather see the efforts increased regarding Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine.

Without addressing the issue of whether suppressors should or should not be legal, I'm afraid that there's a weakness in your logic. If there are very few people with suppressors on their guns, the fact that very few people are killed by guns with suppressors does not add any support to the argument for allowing suppressors. Look at the number of people in the US killed by being bitten by their per cobra. Very, very, very few. But a large part of that is that very, very, very few people have pet cobras, so that fact that very few people are killed by pet cobras does not support an argument that pet cobras are a safe pet to have.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against allowing suppressors, just pointing out a flaw in the logic.

You called it a suppressor, which is correct, it in no way shape or form makes a gunshot silent. Whoever started that petition should fix that.

Suppressors are NFA items, you can count the number of legal NFA items used in killings on one hand. I see what you are saying, but factually your argument against doesn't hold up. You are more likely to be killed by a viper than a suppressor.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

You called it a suppressor, which is correct, it in no way shape or form makes a gunshot silent. Whoever started that petition should fix that.

Suppressors are NFA items, you can count the number of legal NFA items used in killings on one hand. I see what you are saying, but factually your argument against doesn't hold up. You are more likely to be killed by a viper than a suppressor.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Since I didn't specifically state my opinion on suppressors, I'll clarify that I personally see no reasonable argument against suppressors and wasn't trying to argue against suppressors, just the strength of that particular logical argument. In fact I think there are a number of reasons they should be generally available. Its just that we academics love to argue issues of logic. We may have a minor disagreement on the logical strength of that particular argument, but it is a trivial point among like-minded people.

Considering that I often catch, examine, and release venomous snakes (much to my wife's displeasure), you are certainly correct that I'm more likely to be killed by a viper than a suppressor! :laugh:

Well bad news again

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2014/3/iowa-senate-committee-chairman-refusing-to-hear-suppressor-legislation.aspx

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back