Iowa is now Shall Issue and accepts concealed carry permits from other States.

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
As of January 1, 2011, Iowa has now become a Shall Issue State and will accept any concealed carry permits issue by another state. The USA Carry maps have been updated to reflect these changes.

SF2379 was enacted during the 2010 legislative session and signed by Governor Culver to become Iowa law on January 1, 2011. It makes significant changes to Iowa Code Ch. 724. Link Removed.

Yes today was a good day. The first time I could cross the state line from Nebraska to Iowa without disarming.
Freedom at last.

here is a link to IFC forum with a list of all the recent articles about the new law. Alot of fear mongering and disinformation.
Link Removed

Iowa CCW Reciprocity

As of January 1, 2011 Iowa made the transition from a "may issue" state to a "shall issue" state. Along with this change in Iowa law, Iowa will now recognize CCW permits from ALL states that issue permits. I checked the "Permit Reciprocity Maps" under the "Resources" section of this site and checked for the two CCWs that I hold and it appears that the change has already been made. WOW...thanks Luke for being completely up to date! I'm impressed.

Just a small but important clarification:

IA will honor all permits issued by all states issued to NON-IA residents.

Sec. 10. NEW SECTION. 724.11A Recognition.
A valid permit or license issued by another state to any
nonresident of this state
shall be considered to be a valid
permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this
chapter, except that such permit or license shall not be
considered to be a substitute for an annual permit to acquire
pistols or revolvers issued pursuant to section 724.15.

So, I lived in Iowa until about a year ago. I had a CCW permit, which also worked as a purchase permit. Now I am in Missouri and have acquired myCCW here. When I go back home to visit, will I be able to purchase?

So, I lived in Iowa until about a year ago. I had a CCW permit, which also worked as a purchase permit. Now I am in Missouri and have acquired myCCW here. When I go back home to visit, will I be able to purchase?

If you are referring to handguns, nobody can purchase handgun in a state in which they are not a resident...directly. You can always go through an FFL in (I think) any state and have them ship it to an FFL in your state, as long as YOUR state allows that weapon.

If you are referring to handguns, nobody can purchase handgun in a state in which they are not a resident...directly. You can always go through an FFL in (I think) any state and have them ship it to an FFL in your state, as long as YOUR state allows that weapon.

Sweet, I can do that.

The way I understand it...you, as a non-resident, will not actually be "acquiring" the firearm from the IA FFL, therefore you will not need a PTA.

New Gun Laws for Iowa in 2011

:smile:
(SIOUX CITY, IA) A new year brings new rules for weapon permits in Iowa.

Here are some of differences gun owners should watch out for in 2011.

In 2011, Iowa becomes a "shall issue" weapons permit state. Previously, Iowa's 99 county sheriff's had discretion on who gets to carry a weapon, but that authority disappears with the new year.

"We had such a wide disparity of permit issuance policies, so with 99 counties in Iowa, there were 99 different ways that you could get a permit," says Sean McClanahan, President of the Iowa Firearms Coalition.

"If you meet all the requirements as set by the state, you will receive a concealed weapons permit," says Doug Boetger, Assistant Chief Deputy for Woodbury County, Iowa.

Permit training requirements are among the items seeing change.

"If you want to renew that existing permit for $25, then you have to show some sort of training within the past 12 months," says McClanahan.

But for a new permit, any "acceptable" previous training will do, no matter how long ago.

"If you come in for a new permit, any documentation of any training you've had forever, however long you want to go back will suffice," says Deputy Boetger.

Citizens carrying concealed weapons can now go into businesses that serve alcohol, but owners "do" have the right to say no weapons allowed.

"It doesn't mean that we ever advocate going into a bar and getting drunk and carrying your firearm, that's the most irresponsible thing you could ever do," says McClanahan.

If Iowans use common sense whenever guns are involved, the transition should go smoothly.

"If people leave their common sense where they used to leave their firearm when they left the house, then there could be some issues," says Deputy Boetger.

The current permits are valid and remain in place until they expire, Woodbury County will not do any early renewals.

For more information on the permit changes, check out these web sites.

Here is a link to the Iowa Firearms Coalition web page: Link Removed

Here is a link to the department of Public Safety's web site: Iowa Department of Public Safety

This story was reported by Jacob Heller. You can contact him at: [email protected]

Iowa concealed carry

I have never been in Iowa but I know I would like them. They took a great step forward with their CCW laws. I live in North Carolina and we have not enacted the Castle Doctrine. The law passed the NC Senate by a landside in 2010 and went to the House Judiciary Committee. The Chairman, an anti gun, liberal, woman, lawyer allowed the bill to die in committee. I have heard some good reports and look forward to passage of the Castle Doctrine in 2011The latest election put North Carolina back on the board as a "RED" state.

This great as I live just across the Missouri and it was a big hassle to stop and put my HK in my portable gun safe...

I'm heading that way Friday morning. Also the first time I can legally cross the line with my pistol in the holster. I haven't heard how this affects some of the Iowa laws about the bunny cops' view of "loaded" firearms ie:having a loaded magazine and firearm together w/o a CCW license. I think my son is taking the course for his new CCW license Friday so I expect to hear some of the specifics when I see him after the class.

Traveling Through Iowa on Jan 1

On January 1st, I left St. Louis on my way to Minneapolis. I've travelled those roads and that route often visiting my daughter. I crossed into Iowa about 11:20 AM and crossed into Minnesota at Highway 35 about 4:20 PM. I could just be the first person to legally carry north and south through Iowa!!!!

THANKS IOWA!!

By the way, stopped and filled the car AND had a nice lunch. It was quite nice!

So as far as I can tell...In IA you are only barred from carrying in city parks (odd), court houses, and schools. Of course the Post Office but that one is federal....

I looks like I may see the "Minnesota" type signs banning weapons, but no issues at bars (not that I ever go), restaurants, etc????

I do find the city parks ban odd...You are outdoors and generally spread out...

But otherwise am I missing anything? I appreciate the help of anyone that has taken the course or has any books.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back