Investing in precious metals

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
I keep hearing about folks buying precious metals instead of stocks. This is sound advice. I have been investing in precious metals for years...4140 arsenal grade steel, copper, lead and brass. I figure these will be priceless after the SHTF.............:help:

plenty of groceries

I have been storing plenty of stuff for the coming winter. How about you grasshopper?:moil:

I keep hearing about folks buying precious metals instead of stocks. This is sound advice. I have been investing in precious metals for years...4140 arsenal grade steel, copper, lead and brass. I figure these will be priceless after the SHTF.............:help:

I have been storing plenty of stuff for the coming winter. How about you grasshopper?
Some yes but could use more. Perhaps while the government is in a bail out mood they would like to help me with my preperations.[/I

Last edited:

The rate of return of precious metals over 5 years or more is relatively low. They're too volatile to justify purchasing for the short term, and are often beaten by even the worst mutual funds. The "school of thought" is that when the dollar is worthless, gold or silver will always be an accepted form of currency. My take on this, is that if the dollar DOES become worthless, few people will have liquid forms of gold anyway. Much of the "Buy Gold" stuff you see is often stocks in gold mining/refining/forming companies. When the dollar is worthless, goods and services will be more important than a shiny coin.

Buy mutual funds.

Cover all the bases if you can.

I'm investing in:
Large quantities of ammo and reloading supplies
Food supplies and water purification stuff
Survival gear
Mutual funds
Physical gold and silver

and

Lots of Training :triniti:

The rate of return of precious metals over 5 years or more is relatively low. They're too volatile to justify purchasing for the short term, and are often beaten by even the worst mutual funds. The "school of thought" is that when the dollar is worthless, gold or silver will always be an accepted form of currency. My take on this, is that if the dollar DOES become worthless, few people will have liquid forms of gold anyway. Much of the "Buy Gold" stuff you see is often stocks in gold mining/refining/forming companies. When the dollar is worthless, goods and services will be more important than a shiny coin.

Buy mutual funds.

buying into mining companies etc is no different that any other company, if the company goes under so does your paper....silver and gold have been used in value trading for 1000's of years and likely will never be worth nothing. investing in precious metals is now expecially a very good investment. over the same period of time silver has out performed gold and is still affordable for most. had you bought silver earlier in this year at around $10 an ounce (where it is now) you could have sold it if you wanted to turn your money for about $22 an ounce, not sure about you but thats a pretty good move:wacko: Im holding for other reasons, but silver in particular IMO will have substantial worth over being shiney as it has more industrial uses than gold. the industrail nations ( China India) are growing and will drive the value, talking about having physical possesion here, not paper in companies.......as a side, the market, using the one day lose of 777, at the same time had stocks in certain sectors that had 50% and higher increases. it al depends on where you are. Personally, I'm buying right now, as much as I can in the appropriate sectors.JMHO:drag:

Rule of thumb, never buy precious metals when the dollar is weak only buy when the dollar is strong! When the dollar falls precious metals increase in value as it gets stronger it decreases. If you buy now you run a very good chance of losing up to 50% when the dollar recovers.

i DON'T THINK SOME OF YOU READ THE FIRST POST

My idea of precious metal are the items used in the MFG of firearms and ammo. :nhl_checking:

Silver is for werewolves

OK.........so we can use the silver to make bullets to kill Dracula....:big_boss:

SILVER IS FOR WEREWOLVES

WOODEN BULLETS ARE FOR DRACULA (yes they actually made wooden bullets for training in europe):eek:fftopic:

LOL..... blood-suckers everyone of them:butcher:
I wonder if George had wooden bullets to match his wooden teeth.:fie:

I think what Pascal was trying to say up there is that if things have gotten so bad that the fiat currency system collapses, the last thing anyone will be thinking about is gold and silver. Things that can't be made easily, like batteries and ammunition, will be far more valuable. You can also use it for yourself until you need to spend it. Invest in gold all you want, but if TSHTF and no one wants the gold, then you're stuck with a lump of pretty metal that you could have used for something else, like reloading supplies or a generator, or whatever. But, those things you can both use yourself *and* trade if you need to.

Be sure to have plenty of food. At least 3 months supply. A year is better. Gold and sliver are o.k. if you have the necessities taken care of but you can not eat gold. Also plenty of guns and ammo. Like the late Mel Tappan said. "If you store food and your neighbor stores guns when the crap hits the fan he will have his guns and your food.

i think what pascal was trying to say up there is that if things have gotten so bad that the fiat currency system collapses, the last thing anyone will be thinking about is gold and silver. Things that can't be made easily, like batteries and ammunition, will be far more valuable. You can also use it for yourself until you need to spend it. Invest in gold all you want, but if tshtf and no one wants the gold, then you're stuck with a lump of pretty metal that you could have used for something else, like reloading supplies or a generator, or whatever. But, those things you can both use yourself *and* trade if you need to.

bingo!

Historically mutual funds seem to give us the greatest return rate. We have seen a steady climb. If you have a good 25-35 years the stock markets the way to go.

Worst case scenario and the stock markets collapsed i guess you needs your gun and ammo, food and water. Just live off the land.

SILVER IS FOR WEREWOLVES

WOODEN BULLETS ARE FOR DRACULA (yes they actually made wooden bullets for training in europe):eek:fftopic:

:eek:ff topic: I once read an article concerning handloaded, large caliber revolver rounds with projectiles made from wooden dowels for SD in apartments. Theory was the projectile would stop at or near impact. (And just think of the torture in the ER when they try to dig out all those infection causing little splinters that don't show on XRay)

I agree to a point, but....

I would still recommend having a little tradeable gold on hand. IMHO the best thing to acquire is 24K casting grain (used to be a jeweler LONG ago). The casting grain is comprised of small, irregular granules, like a very fine gravel. This consistency allows for easy transport, and one may easily trade the grain in any amount desired. Bullion, coins, and other types are fixed weights, and are therefore more difficult to trade in small amounts. An ounce or two might mean a lot down the line, and is probably one of the most concentrated trade goods, per weight and volume, that you could carry.

I agree that you can't eat it or shoot it (well, actually...), but I simply can not believe that it would not retain a lot of value at some point down the line. By all means, get the water, food, firearms, ammunition, etc. first. Then, consider a little bit of gold for "after".

For what it is worth, if you decide to buy gold of any kind for trade or investment, make sure that it is 24K. Alloys will be much harder to test after TSHTF, and refining facilities will probably be few or non-existent. Jewelry is excepted from that statement! If you are buying a piece of gold jewelry for your better half, stick with 18K or 14K, depending on the piece. Of course, you know not to buy jewelry as an investment, right?:fie:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back