Intruder Shot, Killed. Laurens SC

Red Hat

Another one for the good guys!

Sheriff: Intruder Shot, Killed; Charges Unlikely

Coroner: Suspect Died At Scene

LAURENS, S.C. -- A Laurens County man told deputies that after he heard a noise early Tuesday morning, he shot and killed an intruder.

Sheriff Ricky Chastain said the man, who lives across the street and who was working on the home, had decided to spend the night there.

Chastain said, "The home was being remodeled, so it possibly could've appeared no one was living there or no one was there."

The man said he was asleep when heard a noise coming from the living room area. He said he went into the living room armed with a shotgun. He said when the intruder startled him, he fired two shots at him, hitting him in the stomach and neck area.

The coroner's office said that the man, later identified as 20-year-old Lamont Carton Darden, broke into the home on Stevens Street around 12:30 a.m.

Darden died as a result of those injuries.

Chastain said it seems unlikely that the man would be charged in the shooting.

"In our opinion, from the information we have so far, it appears the homeowner was protecting himself and his property from intruders," he said.

The Laurens County Sheriff’s Office and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division are investigating the shooting.

Chastain said, "I think the community up there's pretty shaken up as far as what actually transpired last night."

One less criminal society has to worry about. Even better that he's dead; to me that sends the message to other criminals that this line of work is dangerous and they'd better think twice before choosing it. Furthermore, because he's dead, taxpayers won't be paying to feed, clothe, and house him.

I agree with all. as the song goes.. another one bites the dust... and what I mean by that is, another BG. It's good he decided to stay there that night and that he was prepared by being armed.

Yayy...for "Castle Doctrine" in SC!! You can bet that I'll do the same thing if someone breaks into my home!

This story sends a strong message to other scumbags, is there anything in that house that is worth dying over.

Another one for the good guys!

Sheriff: Intruder Shot, Killed; Charges Unlikely

Coroner: Suspect Died At Scene

LAURENS, S.C. -- A Laurens County man told deputies that after he heard a noise early Tuesday morning, he shot and killed an intruder.

Sheriff Ricky Chastain said the man, who lives across the street and who was working on the home, had decided to spend the night there.

Chastain said, "The home was being remodeled, so it possibly could've appeared no one was living there or no one was there."

The man said he was asleep when heard a noise coming from the living room area. He said he went into the living room armed with a shotgun. He said when the intruder startled him, he fired two shots at him, hitting him in the stomach and neck area.

The coroner's office said that the man, later identified as 20-year-old Lamont Carton Darden, broke into the home on Stevens Street around 12:30 a.m.

Darden died as a result of those injuries.

Chastain said it seems unlikely that the man would be charged in the shooting.

"In our opinion, from the information we have so far, it appears the homeowner was protecting himself and his property from intruders," he said.

The Laurens County Sheriff’s Office and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division are investigating the shooting.

Chastain said, "I think the community up there's pretty shaken up as far as what actually transpired last night."

The community should be shaken up. I would be concerned if they weren't. From what I have read here, it was a justifiable homicide. This is a scenario that I hope we never have face in our lifetime. None of us want to have to take a human life, but if someone is threatening mine or my family, I will have no choice but to defend myself.

Are you hearing yourselves............?

This is a scenario that I hope we never have face in our lifetime. None of us want to have to take a human life, but if someone is threatening mine or my family, I will have no choice but to defend myself.

I'm glad only the BG was hurt and I was NOT there so I don't know if his (home owner) life was in danger or not and I'm glad we don't have to pay to take care of the BG while he's hanging out in prison but, a man, good or bad lost his life over some property. I'm not going to pretend to say I would or wouldn't have done any different but, I expect a little more from the members of this site than to actually praise the loss of a human life.

I don't know it all but, I know I joined this site with many men and women that are NOT looking to hurry up and "cap" a BG. Plenty of those forums around.

I hope this is not the direction of this site's members now or ever.

I respect him for being able to pull the trigger to protect himself and his possessions. You never wanna see someone go, but the intruder put his life on the line when he entered the house. Maybe if all criminals knew they were putting their life on the line when committing acts like this, they would happen less.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back