Intersting Glock Trivia

rrc1962

I was told today by a dealer that Glock pistols will never rust due to the chemical treatment process they use on the metal. He said that the process is not legal in the US, thanks to EPA, due to it's highly toxic nature. The following are quotes I found while killing time on the internet...

"The gun is milled out of soft steel, then it goes through a Tenifer chemical process which gives the gun its hardness. To be exact, the Glock finish is the second hardest material known to man, the first being a diamond."

"Any Glock could be frozen in ice, filled with sand and it would come out shooting. The Glock 17, after a modification to its Spring Caps, could be fired underwater. There is a SCUBA club in Florida that carries the Glock 17 when they go shark diving."

Not legal in the US?!?!
They should change that. You should be able to drop any gun on concrete, and not worry about scratches. I say that needs to be the new standard for every manufacturer. Damn hippies.

Gotta love the Glock toughness

Makes me miss and regret getting rid of my Glock 17 years ago... I'd love to find a sweet deal on a used G17, just because. You know, can't have too many tools in the shed.

Good info on the salt bath processes - thanks.

After reading the entire thread from the link above, I think it is inconclusive as to whether the two are identical. The Tenifer process may be using cyanide salts, which are not allowed here. If that's the case, the European applied Tenifer may be more corrosion resistant even though both are basically salt bath processes. All good products turn to s&$t when the EPA makes them take all the good (toxic) stuff out of the recipe. I'll have to dig a little deeper.

i've got the marine spring cups on my Glock 23. Fired the gun underwater and watched the bullet go a whole 2' from the barrel. :lol: It's one of those "kids don't try this at home" situations. After that flop, I tried the same with my Glock 17. Bullet went a whopping 3.5'. Gotta admit that it was fun, but not someting I'd recommend doing.

gf

Found this straight off the Glock web site :
TENIFER
Unique GLOCK hi-tech surface refinement for barrel and slide. Apart from optimum corrosion protection and anti-reflective finish, a degree of hardness of 64 HRC - close to that of a diamond - is achieved.

Found this straight off the Glock web site :
TENIFER
Unique GLOCK hi-tech surface refinement for barrel and slide. Apart from optimum corrosion protection and anti-reflective finish, a degree of hardness of 64 HRC - close to that of a diamond - is achieved.

I thought that firing a gun under water causes the barrel to bulge, or worse, because the water can't exit as fast as the bullet wants too.

Interesting video. I wonder if it bulged the barrel. Guns and Ammo TV did some experiments like this and the barrel was ruined on their test gun due to bulging.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back