Interstate Travel with a firearm in a Moto-rhome

We recently acquired a motor-home, hoping to start traveling a bit more.

I'm curious as to what differences there might be in various states when transporting firearms in the motor-home. Yes, it's a motor vehicle, it's also for all intents and purposes my home at that period in time.

Don't know where you are traveling, but in Texas motor homes are considered an extension of your home or "castle."

Well, there are federal and state laws. I guess that is not the answer you are looking for.

Inform yourself about the laws of EVERY state that you will be visiting. Some states, such as NY, have prohibitive possession laws due to possession permit requirements. Some states, such as MA and CA, have restrictions, such as magazine capacity and "assault weapons". States have different laws regarding what is considered an unloaded vs. a loaded firearm. States have different laws regarding keeping a loaded firearm in a motorhome. States have different laws regarding the castle doctrine in general and in a vehicle in specific.

www.handgunlaw.us has the applicable laws of each state.

I think most of you are misunderstanding the question.

I am familiar with many of the travel rules, where I can and cannot conceal normally. I refuse to even get close to California, and the east coast is out my my travel range at least for now. My question is what changes does the motorhome make.

IE, I recently made a 9 western state car trip. I had to remember to unload and store the gun when I entered Colorado and tuck the shirt on so I was open carrying in Oregon because my permits are not honored there. However if the gun was back in the house portion of the motorhome would I still be required to unload? After all, it's in my home and even those two states would allow me to carry in my own home.

I think most of you are misunderstanding the question.

I am familiar with many of the travel rules, where I can and cannot conceal normally. I refuse to even get close to California, and the east coast is out my my travel range at least for now. My question is what changes does the motorhome make.

IE, I recently made a 9 western state car trip. I had to remember to unload and store the gun when I entered Colorado and tuck the shirt on so I was open carrying in Oregon because my permits are not honored there. However if the gun was back in the house portion of the motorhome would I still be required to unload? After all, it's in my home and even those two states would allow me to carry in my own home.

I think you misunderstood my post:

www.handgunlaw.us has a "RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License" description for each state.

PS: An RV is still a motor vehicle. Just because you sleep in your car does not make it a dwelling, which most state laws refer to when referencing a home.

if you have texas plates be ready for a body cavity search when you hit some states! That being said when Trump signs national reciprocity it should alleviate your fears and problems. from what i have seen so far it gives you teeth when it comes to dealing with places that don't want to play by the rules

In SC, the Castle Doctrine was expanded to include areas under the dominion of the gun owner, such as place of business, vehicles, campers, and tents. That is, if a homeless person is living in his car, that's his "castle."

I had to remember to unload and store the gun when I entered Colorado

Granted the OP is long gone but this tells me that (like most folks) he doesn't understand gun laws as well as he thinks because CRS 18-12-204 very specifically permits one to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle

I ran a 25' motorhome out west, on a 7000 mile, 7 week trek, seeing the sights, and fishing. For the more restrictive states, (not many)

I simply locked up the ammo in one army ammo box, and the pistol in the other. You can drill a 7/16" hole, or a little wider, thru the lid, and the front

of the box, at the corner and use a large master lock on each box.

Most mid-western states weren't too restrictive. It was my first long trip with a motor-home, we were never

stopped, and we were never searched. YMMV, of course, in somewhat different circumstances.

If you haven't gone yet, enjoy your trip. If you've already been, please share your experience with us.

Yup I think he is long gone on his trip already.

Intuitively, I would think that while the motorhome is on the road it falls under the motor vehicle laws for firearms transport.

And while it is parked, then it falls under the campsite / motel room firearms laws.

And of course every state is different. In some states the car has the same possession laws as the home. In other states the car requires the firearm to be unloaded and trigger locked.

California is not really worth visiting, in my opinion. Their rules are as bad as NYS, Mass., or NJ.

Oregon does not honor most out of state CFP's but it is an open carry state -- same is true of New Mexico. So open carrying in a visible holster while driving your vehicle there is ok.

Wash State honors most out of state CFP's. As does Montana. As does Idaho. As do Nevada and Utah and Colorado. I am not sure what the current rules are for Clark County (Las Vegas) Nevada are though. These keep flipping back and forth. In Arizona anyone can carry openly or concealed without any permit.

That's the Wild Wild West. I generally avoid going any further East.

As I said in my post #4:

Well, there are federal and state laws. I guess that is not the answer you are looking for.

Inform yourself about the laws of EVERY state that you will be visiting. Some states, such as NY, have prohibitive possession laws due to possession permit requirements. Some states, such as MA and CA, have restrictions, such as magazine capacity and "assault weapons". States have different laws regarding what is considered an unloaded vs. a loaded firearm. States have different laws regarding keeping a loaded firearm in a motorhome. States have different laws regarding the castle doctrine in general and in a vehicle in specific.

We can continue to list individual state-specific laws that change over time while missing specific issues, but the above statement remains. Also, firearms laws are rarely intuitive.

Here is an interesting issue. Oregon has only state preemption for permit holders. Those carrying openly in Oregon without a recognized permit will have problems in cities, like Portland. Portland Ordinance 14A.60.010 explicitly forbids carrying a loaded firearm without license.

The state of TN extended the castle doctrine to your car. You can have a loaded handgun, AR and shotgun anywhere in your car.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back