Internal hammer or external ?

rfkid1

My wife and I are new to ccw and firearms here in NY State. She is looking for a revolver to carry. In talking with one lady at a gun shop, she said my wife might like to carry a revolver with internal hammer, like the Charter Arms 73811, as its less likely to catch anything while pulling from a purse or pocket. Yet, my wife kind of likes the trigger. Any ideas or advise for us? Any pros or cons? Thanks. Jay

With an external hammer, you get the option of SA (single action... only drops the hammer) or DA (pulls the hammer back and drops the hammer).... with an internal hammer you only have DA and therefore always have a longer trigger pull.

Yes, with an internal hammer, you won't catch it on anything, but if she's carrying in a purse (I won't comment on whether that's a good/bad idea...it's been done and redone on other threads), then she should have a separate compartment that the firearm goes in so she's not hunting around for it when she most needs it. Therefore, the whole idea of it "catching" is a moot point. If she is pocket carrying, she should get a pocket holster and therefore won't catch it on anything either.

Personally, I like the option of SA. And since you can avoid the idea of catching it by carrying it properly, than I would go with the exposed hammer.

Recommend she try a Ruger LCR in either a .38 or .357 if she wants something more powerful. Never buy her a gun with out her trying if first. Many men have done that with negative results.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back