Insult my wife

I remember when I was employed as a security guard (armed, by the way), I dealt with people insulting me and other patrons all the time. I think that whether you're packing or not, conflict resolution is a good skill to have, (althought not necessarily effective if the other person is drunk or high). Especially in my former line of work, people get angry and say mean and hurtful things all the time, but I had to stay professional. If I let my temper get the best of me every time someone said something I didn't like, I would've been out of a job as well as faced charges.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that a lot of the martial arts training included instruction in avoiding conflict. Just because someone is being verbally demeaning doesn't mean that they should get their ass kicked by a black belt (or anyone else for that matter). Having the ability to defend yourself comes with a lot of responsibility, regardless of how the ability is achieved.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that a lot of the martial arts training included instruction in avoiding conflict. Just because someone is being verbally demeaning doesn't mean that they should get their ass kicked by a black belt (or anyone else for that matter). Having the ability to defend yourself comes with a lot of responsibility, regardless of how the ability is achieved.

You're absolutely correct and I have posted to that effect several times. Just for the sake of general discussion, however, I think if you're being verbally demeaning, you're asking for a black eye, at the least. NOT NECESSARILY FROM ME, but I know plenty of folks who wouldn't hesitate to "correct" you for your lack of respect and good manners.

I would never carry a lethal weapon if I definitely knew of situations where, given the oppoturnity, I would refuse to walk away. :no:

I would never carry a lethal weapon if I definitely knew of situations where, given the oppoturnity, I would refuse to walk away. :no:

Good on you. So, those who carry must eat any and all sh#t dealt out to them at any time by anybody?

I guess your "Magic 8 Ball" is better at advising you when and where you should be armed than mine.:sarcastic:
I can't recall the last time I got into a pissing match with someone over words. So far I've been very lucky (God please don't interpret my thankfulness as an opportunity to test me), but it could happen in the local McDonald’s, the drive in at Dunkin Donut’s, or the automotive section of Wal-Mart. It’s hard to know when and where confrontation both verbal and physical could occur. I know back in the old days when I was working lot security and assisting at the door at a night club, confrontation was blowing in my ear all night long… I avoid those kinds of places now… Unwed, 21 year old men accompanied by hot girlfriends and who have a voracious appetite for alcohol are about the most volatile species I know of…
Gotta keep cool when armed or not. Best way to stay alive, unharmed, and un-incarcerated.
Let the little S&!T be just that...

I can't recall the last time I got into a pissing match with someone over words. So far I've been very lucky (God please don't interpret my thankfulness as an opportunity to test me), but it could happen in the local McDonald’s, the drive in at Dunkin Donut’s, or the automotive section of Wal-Mart. It’s hard to know when and where confrontation both verbal and physical could occur.
Gotta keep cool when armed or not. Best way to stay alive, unharmed, and un-incarcerated.
Let the little S&!T be just that...
You are so right. I remember being in an elevator and a guy thought I was staring at him and asked "Hey, am I funny looking or something?" I just said no and averted my eyes. I didn't see any threat at the time and just kept the situation from getting any worse and got off. I'm too old to get into any kind of confrontations.

Why can't you just say, "look buddy, if I wasn't packing I'd kick your ass right now, but I am packing so I'm just gonna walk away". If someone said that to me in a calm collect way I'd probably wait till he turned around and rethink the next time I mock someone.....if I wasn't armed. I'm always armed, so I keep my comments to myself unless its all in fun.

nononononononono

and....no

that constitutes threatening with a deadly weapon....

Its one thing to tell somebody to have some respect and dignity towards himself/others. Its another to haul off and start swinging. When the police break it up and then find your weapon, you are gonna be in a whole HEAP of cow dung.

Tell the person to grow up, and continue your day. If they are persistent, tell them to leave you alone. If they don't leave you alone, tell them to stay WAY BACK and that you are now taking them as a threat to your and your wife's personal safety. Call law enforcement if the situation keeps escalating, this usually will make people in public leave you alone. After that, you know what to do I would hope. :)

You have to remember in the grandstand of things, you are the bigger man. You just avoided having to beat someone's ass, or worse, kill them. This should make you feel more comfortable knowing that YOU are the one in control of the situation, and the other person is just a no-life instigator who has nothing better to do.

perfect.

We most all agree that what should happen is that (unless there is some sort of physical threat) that a person (and their wife) should walk away from the simple insult. And some have even mentioned their wife says "why would you fight" and "that would be silly".
But, two things come to mind here for me.

1.) I have gotten too old (too smart?) to risk getting hurt over what I now consider "social violance".
I do not have the speed or flexability to go-to-blows with the younger generation now. And, I have also learned (the hard way) as a younger man in the past...that just because you are "standing up for what's right" doesn't mean you will "win". GOOD GUYS do NOT always win.
I had to be 23 years old before I learned THAT valuable lesson. I grew up with that same "cultural" thing about "stand up for a lady".

But, especially with the legalities of concealed carry... "social violence" should always be walked away from.
It's not worth the risk, and you don't know how many "friends" the jerk has waiting to crawl out of the woodwork, and it can immediatly turn into a one-to-three or four situation. And, in fact even if you "win" you can "lose" in court.
(lose everything, in fact).

As I said I'm old, and I just don't have the reflexes to "play around" anymore. THAT'S EXACTLY why I DO carry.
I will "walk away" if possible.

IF it's NOT possible, then it means that it has gotten past the "social fisticuffs" situation into a "asocial or sociopathic violence" situation and I am then (did I mention I'm old?) going to immediately attempt to use overwhelming force meant to cripple or "stop" the threat...whether that means two to center-of-mass...or a punch to the throat or eyes.
Whatever method is available to me at that moment. But until I am forced into that situation, we will attempt to walk away.

2.) That being said, I have often wondered what I would do if someone "spit" on my wife, or similar.
And would my wife "understand" if I walked away? How many times in life have we heard "oh that's silly to fight"...then when it happens it changes to "why didn't you stand up for me" ?
Thankfully, my wife is smarter than that...but I have had girlfrieds in the past that would "push" for the fight...just to satisfy their OWN vanity and ego.

It is a whole different world when we choose to accept the responsibility that comes with concealed carry.

:cool:

Let's ask this a different way...

First off, I don't have a wife, I have a husband. If someone insults me would hubby go for a confrontation. I have no idea. You'd have to ask him. Now, let's turn this around. If someone were to insult my husband would I go for some type of confrontation? Hell no! What's there to protect from an insult? Our honor? Our 'face?' No. Insults are not worth either of us losing our CC permits! The only reason we carry is to protect life and limb for ourselves and loved ones. Since when does an insult hurt life or limb? It doesn't. As hubby says, "'Nuff said."

Good on you. So, those who carry must eat any and all sh#t dealt out to them at any time by anybody?
That statement right there tells me you do not personally posses the correct mindset or mental stability required for a responsible person to carry a firearm in public, and should have your qualifications reviewed and permit pulled. It's probably just a matter of time before we read about you in another one of the "concealed carry gone wrong threads."

Well stated arizonaguide.

I'm 64 myself, plan on keeping the little remaining health I have. :fie:
Keeping honor and face are fine, but that was when we were young and people had honor. :yu:
Now, gangsta's shoot people just for kicks. :wacko: :angry:
My CCW is to defend myself and family from deadly assault.

Sticks and stones may break my bones,
But, names will never hurt me.

And GDCLEANFUN excellent input, thanks.

It could be because I am old fashioned, or it could be because I'm a "hot-headed young'un"(22), I think its more of the former because I have never had a weapons related incident with my job as an MP in the Marines and I have insults thrown at me daily, but either way, i was raised that respect towards women was PARAMOUNT to all else, thus if someone disrespected, insulted, or even looked cross-ways at any woman, let alone my Fiance' (wife in 10 months) something HAS to be done. In the case where I am carrying, my pistol would stay in its holster, under my shirt, never even mentioned. a punch/kick probably wouldnt even be thrown, but before I would be done, the offender would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that women are to be respected, and treated with dignity.

It could be because I am old fashioned, or it could be because I'm a "hot-headed young'un"(22), I think its more of the former because I have never had a weapons related incident with my job as an MP in the Marines and I have insults thrown at me daily, but either way, i was raised that respect towards women was PARAMOUNT to all else, thus if someone disrespected, insulted, or even looked cross-ways at any woman, let alone my Fiance' (wife in 10 months) something HAS to be done. In the case where I am carrying, my pistol would stay in its holster, under my shirt, never even mentioned. a punch/kick probably wouldnt even be thrown, but before I would be done, the offender would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that women are to be respected, and treated with dignity.

Women are to be respected and treated with refined dignity. No question there.
Not all men feel the same way.
Dad comes home after a hard day and feels that dinner should be on the table right when he gets home. Beer better be in the fridge and plenty of it… Maybe he smacks mom around in front of the boys and says things that boys maybe ought not to hear…
You will find these people in life. The time it would take to undo the damage, way too long…
So there will be times when things are said and done that will go sideways up your Azz and your first instinct will be to shut them up… I was in Maine some time ago with my wife and kids. My friend Barry and his family were along with us. Standing at the window waiting to order ice cream, Teen kid (maybe early 20’s) standing next to the window on the cell phone with girlfriend (the way he was talking to her I would hope by her choice she was soon to be an ex-girlfriend). The language was less than stellar. My kids don’t need to hear that nor do the ladies with us. It took Barry and I to drive the point home that he needed to use clean words or take the conversation some other place.
What would have happened if the kid took the first swing? What if he was under the age of 18? And we hit him? Never can tell what could happen or who you may be dealing with. Maybe he has a weapon? What if you have to use yours? If there are witnesses and the stories don’t all jive? Will you be willing to loose your rights, your freedom or worse your life? Then who protects and honors her?
I understand and respect your strong will to honor and respect your soon to be wife, that’s a credit to your parents and the manner in which you were reared, your service to this country, a credit to your character as a person. At 22 your urge to fight is stronger then mine at 42. At 22 I recall feeling like solid metal. Getting older now, pain actually hurts and lasts longer!!! Long winded older guys!!! Just be sure you are around long enough to honor and protect her. Unless it’s a direct physical attack, let it go and be the better bigger man. Read all the posts to her then ask her how she feels… Peace and thank you for serving...
:happy:

With all of the "nut cases" out there, I find it a lot easier (and safer) to walk away if some nut case decides to spout off. Verbal threats/insults are one thing, if it escalates into anything physical, I will respond appropriately.

gf

Women are to be respected and treated with refined dignity. No question there.
Not all men feel the same way.
Dad comes home after a hard day and feels that dinner should be on the table right when he gets home. Beer better be in the fridge and plenty of it… Maybe he smacks mom around in front of the boys and says things that boys maybe ought not to hear…
You will find these people in life. The time it would take to undo the damage, way too long…
So there will be times when things are said and done that will go sideways up your Azz and your first instinct will be to shut them up… I was in Maine some time ago with my wife and kids. My friend Barry and his family were along with us. Standing at the window waiting to order ice cream, Teen kid (maybe early 20’s) standing next to the window on the cell phone with girlfriend (the way he was talking to her I would hope by her choice she was soon to be an ex-girlfriend). The language was less than stellar. My kids don’t need to hear that nor do the ladies with us. It took Barry and I to drive the point home that he needed to use clean words or take the conversation some other place.
What would have happened if the kid took the first swing? What if he was under the age of 18? And we hit him? Never can tell what could happen or who you may be dealing with. Maybe he has a weapon? What if you have to use yours? If there are witnesses and the stories don’t all jive? Will you be willing to loose your rights, your freedom or worse your life? Then who protects and honors her?
I understand and respect your strong will to honor and respect your soon to be wife, that’s a credit to your parents and the manner in which you were reared, your service to this country, a credit to your character as a person. At 22 your urge to fight is stronger then mine at 42. At 22 I recall feeling like solid metal. Getting older now, pain actually hurts and lasts longer!!! Long winded older guys!!! Just be sure you are around long enough to honor and protect her. Unless it’s a direct physical attack, let it go and be the better bigger man. Read all the posts to her then ask her how she feels… Peace and thank you for serving...
:happy:

Thanks for the words of wisdom! You make several valid points, I will definitely do my best to be the bigger man. You "long winded old guys" seem to be right more often than not.

That statement right there tells me you do not personally posses the correct mindset or mental stability required for a responsible person to carry a firearm in public, and should have your qualifications reviewed and permit pulled. It's probably just a matter of time before we read about you in another one of the "concealed carry gone wrong threads."

A) You need to read the full thread before you make such a statement. This whole thread has been a rhetorical scenario presented by me as an exercise in how we might react in certain circumstances. I have posted several times about the need to react appropriately in such situations. However, others have posted to the extent that if they would respond to a particular situation (say, someone insults your wife or knocks the old lady out of line) when they were UNARMED, they would continue to respond if they WERE armed. That is, they will not give up their inclination to address "social injustice" just because they were carrying. You would have caught this if you had spent the time reading the forum(s). So, the question I posed: "Are we to eat any and all sh#t just because we are armed?" was meant in a legitimate way, perhaps poorly worded.

B) You don't know me and display your ignorance by such a statement. You may rest assured that had you said this to me in person, I would "probably" not have shot you. (Do you recognize satire?). I don't know your age but I'm older (late 50s) and obtained my first concealed-carry permit in 1980. So, if you were gonna read about me abusing my carry privilege, you would have read about it by now. I'm still around (never been beat, shot, or arrested; have never pulled my weapon) so that says something about my "mindset and mental stabililty" since I've been carrying for almost 30 years.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back