Insult my wife

Hey Hawkeye638: Wish someone could give you an ABSOLUTE answer on your latest "spitting scenario", but no one really can--it always comes down not to the spitter or the spittee but to the legal system and "leanings" on that day of the police, prosecutor etc, if either person wants to file charges. I would think there is room for each person to be charged with something--putting your hands on someone is a no no but is it reasonable once your are spit at? Personal opinion--it is not reasonable for you to punch someone if they spit at you--it is reasonable for you to bring charges against that individual for some form of simple assault (not sure where "spitting" fits into the statutes). Not saying that I would just stand there and take it myself but in the comfort of my computer room it is easy to say so. IT DEFINITELY DOES NOT RISE TO THE LEVEL OF CCW PRESENTATION and if you punch back and it then escalates to CCW, you have a bigger problem explaining your actions.

I haven't read all the previous posts so I'm sure this has been said already.

Walk away. Mere words aren't worth shooting someone over. It's not even worth fighting over whether your armed or not. I know it's difficult.

When I was much younger, stronger, and unarmed I would never walk away from any confrontation. Because when growing up I was picked on all the time as I wasn't very tall. My last two years in high school I grew 3 inches and gained 30 pounds of muscle. Mostly from working out and playing football. At 5' 9" I wasn't always as tall as the next guy but at 220 pounds I was someone not to take lightly. So for years I dared anyone to mess with me. A few tried. Some tried and lost. Some put up a good fight and we both lost. Guess you could say I suffered from the "little guy syndrome". Thankfully I grew out of it. Even today I get mad and will stare somebody down. I won't be disrespected or touched. But most people leave me alone and walk away when they realize I'm not an easy target. I'm one of those people that always seem to walk right into the middle of trouble so I really have to watch myself.

When armed, it's our duty whether legally or morally to walk away IF we can. Getting into any potentially violent confrontation with a spouse or child present is foolish. Putting them in danger for any reason other than a life threatening situtation is again foolish.

Using a gun in self defense is tough enough to deal with afterwards not to mention the legal ramifications.

Sorry for the long read.

When armed, it's our duty whether legally or morally to walk away IF we can. Getting into any potentially violent confrontation with a spouse or child present is foolish. Putting them in danger for any reason other than a life threatening situtation is again foolish.
^what he said. (Quoted again for truth).

It's a sad commentary to me, all these "what if" threads on shooting scenarios. Seems like some people just seek more justification to use their weapons in questionable situations.
And I disagree with the above statement about these "what if" SCENARIO threads being an exercise in bloodthirsty gun carriers attempting to justify the use of violence.

This type of "scenario exercise" was strongly encouraged in my CCW and Defensive Pistol training. Playing out the scenaris and having a "plan" does MUCH to build the confidence and ability to react correctly under pressure. As well as helping make sure that the aftermath of a defensive shooting is more likely to be favorable to you.

The Macho thing for guys would be to take action but since both you and your wife have CCW permits, you both know that you are smarter than that. You have covered your back side in case someone attacks. If you pull your gun and hand it to your wife, the other guy may see it and things could escolate.. Better all around would to walk away holding your beautiful wife, knowing you are the better smarter person and he is showing everyone what a jerk he really is:
:yu:

I am the last person that should offer my 2 bits but, if you walk away he will live another day. Hopefully to learn the error of his ways. In my younger days I was a very agressive person. But at 70 I will just let someone else instruct him. I have to agree with most everyone else. Just walk. Live in the yellow and walk away. He could be just having a bad day.

The Macho thing for guys would be to take action but since both you and your wife have CCW permits, you both know that you are smarter than that. You have covered your back side in case someone attacks. If you pull your gun and hand it to your wife, the other guy may see it and things could escolate.. Better all around would to walk away holding your beautiful wife, knowing you are the better smarter person and he is showing everyone what a jerk he really is:
:yu:

You obviously haven't met/seen my wife! :haha::wink:

Just had to throw that one out there. :biggrin:

gf

Why can't you just say, "look buddy, if I wasn't packing I'd kick your ass right now, but I am packing so I'm just gonna walk away". If someone said that to me in a calm collect way I'd probably wait till he turned around and rethink the next time I mock someone.....if I wasn't armed. I'm always armed, so I keep my comments to myself unless its all in fun.

Not a good idea. I read in another forum recently about a young man who was having trouble with several other young men. This guy lifted his shirt to show that he was armed and the other guys jumped him so fast he had no chance to draw. He got his butt whipped severely and his gun taken. Another possibility would be for the guy to taunt you to draw your weapon or worse yet, draw his own. No, I wold not tell him that I was carrying. Some guys are just outright a$$holes and do not back down. It is best to just walk away.

To me it appears that a person that is that "HOT HEADED" to even think about pulling a gun in a threating manner over this MINOR issue is really not qualified to a "concealed carry permit"
:angry::angry:

OK, ya'll, my last post on this thread. Gosh, I haven't been so misunderstood since I can't remember when (sniff...). For all you guys who apparently haven't read the whole thread, I am NOT advocating SHOOTING someone for insulting my wife. Sheesh...

This has been presented as an example of escalation. To wit: If I'm sitting in a restaurant, unarmed, and someone severely insults my wife, I'm gonna respond, in some fashion, initially probably verbally. Where it goes from there is where it goes. Most men I know would respond to this situation in like manner.

Now, I'm sitting in a restaurant and I'm armed and someone insults my wife, ANYTHING I say or do escalates the situation and so...

See the difference?

Bye

So... if the consensus is the best course is to say or do nothing, and maybe even eventually just get up and quietly leave if the moron presses it to that, then I wholeheartedly agree!

Fear no man, Fear the wrath of God!!... Interesting things are going to happen while on this journey from dealing with man to dealing with God. Make good decisions and keep peace when possible. As difficult as it may seem, allowing a$$holes to feel like Kings sometimes is the best approach. God will have his way with them all in good time.:victory: I do believe he will...

OK, ya'll, my last post on this thread. Gosh, I haven't been so misunderstood since I can't remember when (sniff...). For all you guys who apparently haven't read the whole thread, I am NOT advocating SHOOTING someone for insulting my wife. Sheesh...

This has been presented as an example of escalation. To wit: If I'm sitting in a restaurant, unarmed, and someone severely insults my wife, I'm gonna respond, in some fashion, initially probably verbally. Where it goes from there is where it goes. Most men I know would respond to this situation in like manner.

Now, I'm sitting in a restaurant and I'm armed and someone insults my wife, ANYTHING I say or do escalates the situation and so...

See the difference?

Bye
I got the point of this from the beginning JJ so… All that have read and posted have offered their thoughts and feelings on the subject of being insulted vs. being assaulted. The good questions are the tough ones with lots of "what if's". They tend to draw the most fire and elicit the most feedback and varied responses as I believe the questions asked and presented in this thread have. It’s a thought provoking and emotional exercise. Maybe someone who has read this thread will find themselves in one of the situations presented here and will recall one of the messages posted, and act accordingly… Best that can be hoped for…Thanks... Peace…6Shootercarry (Dave)…

See the difference?

Bye

JJ, don't take it personal. I don't think the posts were directed at you personally. They were examples of what not to do.

Ahhh...I'm cool. Between being called "hot headed" and "mentally unstable" and having more than one poster suggest I oughta have my permit yanked, I was starting to get my panties in a bunch. So, I took 'em off, and am now running commando, and everthing feels better.

Hey to all my fellow posters: This forum is definitely one of the most cordial and insightful forums of any I have been on or subscribe to. I tend to think that any comments or threads or posts made on this forum will elicit responses that should only be taken as "discussion material" and it is indeed interesting to hear the different "takes" on a subject and the comments that follow. Any of us who contribute to this forum should read all the replies and not take any of them personally nor should we get upset when some replies are just "rehashes" of a previous post; if anything reading all the replies reinforces my opinions on all the "what ifs" and it makes me a better and more informed CCWP holder. Thanks guys

Ahhh...I'm cool. Between being called "hot headed" and "mentally unstable" and having more than one poster suggest I oughta have my permit yanked, I was starting to get my panties in a bunch. So, I took 'em off, and am now running commando, and everthing feels better.
Errr... Well... ok... Good to have you back... Now get dressed....:sarcastic:

It's been one of the better threads I've read. It's all good...

We've talked about confrontations on other threads. Thought I might start a new one to gen up new interest.

Here's the deal: You're carrying and someone insults your wife publicly. To me, that calls for a confrontation on your part. But, now you're carrying. I don't think we can go scuffling around with somebody since that's a good way to lose control of your weapon. Walk away? That would be tough. Hand the gun to your wife? Mine has a carry permit but still...Go deposit your weapon in your vehicle, come back, and THEN smack somebody? Nahhh...If I'm gonna fight, I intend to hit first, hard, and fast; anything else sets you up to lose. So, I don't know...what do we do? I can walk away from some crap, but there are plenty of situations that I don't think I could (insulting my wife in front of me is one of them). I'm interested in hearing from the "brotherhood"...What would you do?

Good question,

I personally would ask the individual to stop. If he continued i'd ask management of wherever I was to remove him. If they didn't i'd just leave. As much as it pains us we have to be the better person and avoid confrontation at all costs including swallowing our pride.

I am a newby at this thread stuff. I hope all are as good as this. It has been a pleasure to read statements from what appears to be insighfull and educated people. Thanks.:pleasantry:

I am a newby at this thread stuff. I hope all are as good as this. It has been a pleasure to read statements from what appears to be insighfull and educated people. Thanks.:pleasantry:

Welcome to the thread stuff... This is a good one... Just one note: Run commando...JJ likes it better that way:laugh:

Bottom line is STICKS AND STONES CAN HURT MY BONES BUT WORDS CAN NEVER HARM ME. This simple line clears up any misconception about a "wife insult". If you hit the idiot (whether you are CC or not) after he opens his stupid mouth, you are guilty of assault--pure and simple. Certainly if you are CC and hit the idiot and it escalates from there, you are really in big trouble. I understand where y'all are coming from but this scenario is really very, very simple.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back