Inheriting a .22 LR and a shotgun

jaydub

Last year when we were gathering up sentimentals at Grandma's house after Grandpa's funeral, I asked about his rifle and shotgun and she said she'd be happy for them to be passed down to me, so I've got a new Plano case and we're heading up in a couple of weeks. Then I got to thinking about the safety of them.

In all my years, I don't ever recall Grandpa shooting the shotgun. I'll ask Grandma when the last time was, but what things do I need to look for to know if it's safe to go buy a few shells and fire them off before we come home?

The .22 is one I'm familiar with and my wife has even shot it (her first gun time), but I am pretty sure it's never been cleaned. How often should I clean it if it's just one that sits under our bed until I go to a rifle range and only shoot 25-50 rounds?

I believe that cleaning is relative. Dependent on how often it's fired, or even handled. I've got firearms that sit ina safe for weeks even months and I don't take them out and clean them until after shooting them, unless I get bored.
if those older guns have been sitting for a while, you might just want to give them a quick "once over" before taking them out, but they should be fine.
Just my two cents....

Last year when we were gathering up sentimentals at Grandma's house after Grandpa's funeral, I asked about his rifle and shotgun and she said she'd be happy for them to be passed down to me, so I've got a new Plano case and we're heading up in a couple of weeks. Then I got to thinking about the safety of them.

In all my years, I don't ever recall Grandpa shooting the shotgun. I'll ask Grandma when the last time was, but what things do I need to look for to know if it's safe to go buy a few shells and fire them off before we come home?

The .22 is one I'm familiar with and my wife has even shot it (her first gun time), but I am pretty sure it's never been cleaned. How often should I clean it if it's just one that sits under our bed until I go to a rifle range and only shoot 25-50 rounds?

Since these guns are new to you, I'd suggest giving them a full cleaning before doing anything else with them. Check the net and YouTube for field stripping and cleaning instructions for your specific models. Better to find and correct something before you try shooting them.

As for a regular cleaning schedule, I'd suggest cleaning as soon as realistically possible after shooting it. Whether it was just one round or one-thousand, you've dirtied the gun and it should be cleaned. As for cleaning unfired guns, what's the humidity and dust level where you live? I'd check stored weapons at least once a month and if ever in doubt, wipe them down with a protectant such as gun oil or a silicone cloth.

Hopefully this helps and you have many years of reliable enjoyment with them.

I've returned with them and they rock!

One is a 1900-1930 Mass Arms Co single-shot 12ga. Not good condition, but I'll have it checked for safety.

The next is a 1960-1966 Glenfield Model 10 .22 w/ scope.

The gem is a 1903 (I think) Savage Arms Co .22 S-L-L-R with octagonal barrel & magazine-feed. The clip says 1908, but that could be a replacement or spare from some point.

The Savage .22 & shotgun were most likely my grandpa's grandpa's b/c my great-grandpa was born in 1902. Gpa always took the Savage .22 with him on the tractors & combines to catch rabbits for dinner. Neat history, especially since it's the gun he taught me to shoot with when I was 10 or 12.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back