Information On Buying A Hunting/Self Defense Rifle

edtlewis

Any recomendations on buying a good hunting/self defense rifle? I have a shotgun, 22 rifle and several handguns. Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Any recomendations on buying a good hunting/self defense rifle? I have a shotgun, 22 rifle and several handguns. Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Well I would say it depends on what you plan on hunting. I have a few different rifles which I would use at different times. My main hunting rifle for deer is my .270 bolt action. I also have a 7mm Remington Mag bolt action which I also use for Deer and would use for Elk and similar size game. I do own a few 30-06s which are a very popular hunting rifle. I would not recommend a hunting rifle for home defense. In my opinion, a shotgun or handgun would be best for that job. I have a 12g Mossberg 500 special purpose which is my primary home defense weapon. I have it loaded with buck shot. I feel a rifle is more for hunting scenarios and not home defense. I honestly could not see myself raising one of my hunting rifles in a home defense situation unless absolutely necessary (i.e. it was all I had or if it’s all I had ammo for). Is there a reason you are not using the shotgun you own for home defense? I am only curious. I hope this helps! Have a good day!

-Capo-

Although they can be both one and the same for a defence rifle I would go with something with a detatchable magazine. i.e. AR15, AK. Springfield M1A, Sig etc. etc. Most of these we are talking about would be 223, 308 or 7.62x39 cal.

Information

This is just like the story I read about buying hammers. A guy was hired by a contractor to work building house, and was told to go to a hardware store with a voucher and buy tools. He told the clerk he had gotten a job as a carpenter and needed a good hammer. The clerk brought a whole box of hammers and dumped the on the counter and told the new man to take his pick. The newbie insisted he just needed a good hammer to be a carpenter. The clerk told him you can go from a tack hammer, used to drive tacks and finishing nails, through finish hammers, framing hammers, and even sledge hammers, then explained no one hammer will do all jobs well. In the same vein, no one rifle will do all jobs equally well. What do you intend to hunt? You can hunt rabbits and squirrels with a .22, but a .22 won't hardly touch a deer or elk, and if you get caught trying to take a large animal with a .22 I think the game warden has something to say about that. Now, i saw what I would consider a good defense gun, which would also be capable of takiinga wide variety of game. It would be considered a carbine, I guess, because it is just a shade over three feet lontg, which would make it a great home defense gun. It fires the .40 S&W round, which is good for home defense, and capable of taking most small game I believe it runs just under $300, so it is easy on the wallet. Pick a hammer, or hammers, to do the jobs you need to do, Not many can do a whole lot, but a few can do more than one job.

Take the KISS approach.

1.Get a good bolt action rifle in a common caliber. Put a decent enough scope on it and hunt it to death. I would suggest .308Win. as it is a military round (7.62 NATO). This is the most reliable combination their is...not very accommodating for self defense though.

2.Get a PTR91 (HK91 or G3A3) Easy to take down and clean, 5 round magazine will make it legal to hunt in most states and it is a great man-stopper in .308Win. It has a nice short barrel (17.7 inches), very few moving parts and no gas system to foul.The fluted chamber means it will work when other guns quit due to crud build up and also helps keep the chamber area cooler during extended fire sessions at the range.

3.Get the rifle you can control the best. It has to fit you!

My choices are as follows
PTR91
SAVAGE 10FP
FN/FAL
AR-15A2
M-1A
AK-47

BOTTOM LINE GO GET A RIFLE!!!!!

Straight forward

If you want to keep the cost down get an SKS. You can hunt deer to 150yds and get hi-cap detachable mags(tapco). Get a yugo if you can find one.

An AK or AR is more suited to home zombie defense only. A saiga AK in 308 would be nice and perform both functions.

A nice lever action 30-30 or the marlin lever 308 could also do double duty and has for over 100 years.

If you are really strapped for cash pick up a bolt action mosin nagant in 7.62x54r. Of course you could shoot through the zombie and still hit the neighbor 1 mile away.:happy:

hunting/self defense rifle

Thanks for the info, the reason I ask, (this may sound far-fetched?) but just in case the SHTF, I want something that I can bring food to the table as well as protect my family from someone wanting to take everything that I worked for away. I was leaning toward a 30-30 lever action, again, thanks for your suggestions, they are appreciated.

Thanks for the info, the reason I ask, (this may sound far-fetched?) but just in case the SHTF, I want something that I can bring food to the table as well as protect my family from someone wanting to take everything that I worked for away. I was leaning toward a 30-30 lever action, again, thanks for your suggestions, they are appreciated.

Far fetched? No not at all. It will happen. The only question is when.

If you like a lever

If you are wanting a lever, you might look at one in 357mag or 44mag for more capacity. It would still be good for deer out to 100yds. Maybe 200 if you are good.
Puma 10 + 1 44 Magnum Lever Action w/20" Round Blue Barrel & for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $437.00

Puma 10 + 1 357 Magnum Lever Action w/20" Round Stainless Ba for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $495.00

Either a lever action in 30-30, 357 or 44 Magnum; or a Remington 7600P- a designed for LE pump action .308 about the same length as a typical lever action.

This is just like the story I read about buying hammers. A guy was hired by a contractor to work building house, and was told to go to a hardware store with a voucher and buy tools. He told the clerk he had gotten a job as a carpenter and needed a good hammer. The clerk brought a whole box of hammers and dumped the on the counter and told the new man to take his pick. The newbie insisted he just needed a good hammer to be a carpenter. The clerk told him you can go from a tack hammer, used to drive tacks and finishing nails, through finish hammers, framing hammers, and even sledge hammers, then explained no one hammer will do all jobs well. In the same vein, no one rifle will do all jobs equally well. What do you intend to hunt? You can hunt rabbits and squirrels with a .22, but a .22 won't hardly touch a deer or elk, and if you get caught trying to take a large animal with a .22 I think the game warden has something to say about that. Now, i saw what I would consider a good defense gun, which would also be capable of takiinga wide variety of game. It would be considered a carbine, I guess, because it is just a shade over three feet lontg, which would make it a great home defense gun. It fires the .40 S&W round, which is good for home defense, and capable of taking most small game I believe it runs just under $300, so it is easy on the wallet. Pick a hammer, or hammers, to do the jobs you need to do, Not many can do a whole lot, but a few can do more than one job.

Don't under estimate the .22LR. I've taken many wild boar as well as Axis deer with that caliber. If it's on private land here in PRHI, it's perfectly legal. I actually had a conservation enforcement officer, his family and a few of the local police officers hunting with me. It was a fun day, and a very productive one.

gf

I have a .357 M94 Trapper on my UTV all the time. It's a good little gun-of-all-work as long as you don't ask too much of it. Deer at 100Y (or more) is pushing the envelope IMO. If someone has actually done it, I would listen to them. Otherwise, I don't consider a .357 carbine a 100Y deer gun. I've killed deer with it at closer ranges when something else wasn't available, but I consider it marginal.

A good all purpose personal defense/hunting rifle;

I like the Bushmaster A3 6.8mm SPC Carbine

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back