Information on a S&W 3906 Model 9MM

Aggressive1

I recently purchased a used gun from a broker I trust:
Link Removed
Smith and Wesson 3906 - Can't find any information on the history of that model.
The gun is well used but it was similar to one of the Taurus's I shot and I liked the safety features it had which was important since I have kids. I ended up buying the 3906 for a gun to learn to shoot and take my concealed course with. So it'll be my friend for the next few months and maybe longer depending on how much I like it. I know for starters I do NOT like the grip or the grip cover. But I don't know where to find replacement grips because I don't know the history and I don't see the model listed anywhere.
Can anyone help me with information on the firearm please?

The 3906 is the a single stack magazine version of the 5906. They were discontinued in 1990. Smith & Wesson should have a stock of parts for it if you need to get it repaired. The 3906 uses many of the same parts as the S&W 3904 (alloy frame blued) and 909 (budget version of the 3904). If you find aftermarket grips, make sure it's for the S&W 390x and not the 391x. 909 grips should work as well. The 391x a compact 3rd generation 39 series; it has a shorter grip and one or two less rounds in the magazine depending on what flavor magazine you get. The plastic base plates have an 8 round capacity, steel 7.

Pachmayr made aftermarket grips for them. Uncle Mike's probably did at one time as well. Hogue has grips for the S&W 39 and 639 which are the 1st and 2nd generation pistols. They may work with your 3906. I would contact them to be sure if they have what you're looking for. The 3904 and 3906 are the 3rd generation.

Last edited:
WOW...I had to go look in the gun safe and make sure mine was still there, LOL. Same gun, grip and grip cover. I have owned this one for about eight years and still love to shoot it. My wife used it to get her CC and she can out shoot almost everybody at the range with it. Don't sell your new Smith short, they are great shooters and will give you years of service. The more you shoot it the better you will like it

View attachment 277

Sorry...miss read your post. Mine is a 5906, double stack mag. Let us know how you like it after you put some rounds down range.

Wow, I knew the gun was a discontinued model, but had no idea it was that long ago!

Thank you very much for the information. Could not find anything on the net about it, but I do beleive I came across from info on the 5906 and the 3904.

That is crazy how similar they are. Maybe that grip cover was the only option at the time? I considered taking the cover off the the frame is square just under the trigger and its uncomfortable and digs into the hand.

Wow, I knew the gun was a discontinued model, but had no idea it was that long ago!

Thank you very much for the information. Could not find anything on the net about it, but I do beleive I came across from info on the 5906 and the 3904.

That is crazy how similar they are. Maybe that grip cover was the only option at the time? I considered taking the cover off the the frame is square just under the trigger and its uncomfortable and digs into the hand.
Not if you understand Smith & Wesson and the scheme of the 3rd generation models. The grip sleeve/cover is an aftermarket accessory.

The full sized single stack magazine 9mm pistols were never that popular. Typically LEOs and uniformed security with smaller hands that could not grip a 59 or 69 series pistol had those. The 39 series that are still popular are the 3913/3914/908(S) and it's smaller brother the CS9 with a smaller barrel and shorter grip and thus one round less in a flush magazine.

The 59 series evolved into a standard issue open carry pistol for LEOs and private patrol persons. My first semi-auto pistol is a 915 which is a budget end version of the 5904 (alloy frame, blued). The 5906 was the standard issue sidearm for uniformed LVMPD. I have a 5906, 6904 and a 6906 in my collection as well in addition to my 915.

A 3906 is low on my priority to add to my list, but I would like one as pistol to make available to students for training purposes on the range who cannot properly grip a 91x/590x, they are reliable plus you have the added benefit of it being steel framed so it should digest +P and possibly hotter NATO ammunition without issue.

I would like a grip like the berretta grip below. So it has a finger set up like the cover I have, but doesn't stretch my hand out on the palm side. Can anyone help me find the proper one like this that will fit my gun?

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back