Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

I personally prefer to inform the officer of firearms in the car as my pistols are often sitting on the passenger seat. And I would rather he know about them and be informed of my cpl than him discovering them and pulling his sidearm out in alarm. I would like the officers mind to be at ease and make his job easier. Their jobs can be stressful enough. If I can put his mind at ease then he will likely go easier on me.

Do you extend the same courtesy to the convenience store clerk when you enter their store? They have no idea if you are a criminal coming through the door intent on robbing them by shoving a gun in their face or looking for a cup of coffee to keep you awake on a long drive.

Do you extend the same courtesy to the cab driver if you happen to be in need of a cab? They have no idea if you are a criminal getting into their cab with the intent of shoving a gun in the back of their head and demanding any cash/credit cards they might have or if you are just wanting a ride home from the bar because you had too much to drink.

Or are police officers just a special class of citizen that deserve to be "at ease" more than other human beings in other occupations that are more likely than others to be victims of violent crime?

Well, Austin Danger Powers, I assume you have never been in a car accident. Otherwise, you would know that your handgun on the passenger seat does you no good the instant it becomes airborne. From the very well known 1986 FBI Miami shootout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Just prior to ramming the Monte Carlo, Manauzzi had pulled out his service revolver and placed it on the seat in anticipation of a shootout,[8] but the force of the collision flung open his door and sent his weapon flying. Hanlon lost his .357 Magnum service revolver during the initial collision, though he was still able to fight with his Smith & Wesson Model 36 backup gun.

State law mandates informing a LEO. My state does require that I inform, and since I am a law abiding gun toting citizen, I will follow the law and inform if I am faced with a "official" LEO encounter, and if I am armed at the time.

And more to the point:

If he doesn't ask if I am carrying/have a weapon, the only possible conclusion you can come from this fact is:

He.

Doesn't.

Care.

If he doesn't care, why should I?

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan