Inform a taxi driver or not of your CPL and firearm?

NavyLCDR

I know a lot of people who advocate that it is "polite", "responsible", and "the right thing to do" to inform a police officer during a stop of your CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and your firearm if you are carrying for "officer safety", "because they just want to go home safe at night" and some even say it "makes it safer for both the police officer and the gun carrier".

So, my question is this, especially to those who say that you should notify police officers, even when the law does not require it:

Would you notify a taxicab driver and provide them with you CPL if you were taking a taxi somewhere while armed?

According to this:
Link Removed

A taxi cab driver is 4 times more likely to be killed by homicide on the job than a police officer is! So, for the taxi driver's safety, should you not tell them about your gun and show them your CPL like you want to with a police officer? Don't taxi drivers want to go home safe at the end of their shifts just as much as police officers do?

You can only tell two folks in Texas a police officer or judge or it could be considered brandshing. Concealed means Concealed until we get open carry.

In NYS there is no requirement to notify. Therefore I would not discuss the topic with anyone. Never bring attention to this unless required to do so.

NO. It is none of his business. It could open a can of worms as the cabbie MIGHT interpret your statement that you are armed as a threat, no matter how careful you phrase it. I dont need the grief.

If the taxi has a "no guns" sign, stay out. If the taxi does not have a "no guns" sign, and you're carrying concealed, don't tell.

It's simple: You don't tell anyone you're not legally required to tell, and you don't go anywhere they are prohibited while carrying.

I don't carry all the time. I am carrying more often as time goes on, but it's still below 50% of the time. I *NEVER* confirm or deny whether I am carrying, unless asked by someone I am legally required to answer. I have only once answered the question: before I had my concealed handgun license, a former Marine at work asked if I carry (we had discussed guns multiple times before.) I told him "I do not yet have my CHL. This is the one-and-only time I will answer that question: no. If you ask me again in ten seconds, I will not answer."

Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak......... Its a good thing they don't have armed guards in taxis...they would be totally screwed, its logic, homicide would go up to 10x the amount, its common sense.

I think Navy was trying to point out the hypocrisy of sharing carry info with cops. If taxi drivers are more likley to be shot, wouldn't they have a more vested interest in knowing about potential threats than even police do? It makes sense, but like I said, a cop pretty much has a free pass to shoot me, so most of the time I'm going to try to show him I'm not a threat.

I think Navy was trying to point out the hypocrisy of sharing carry info with cops. If taxi drivers are more likley to be shot, wouldn't they have a more vested interest in knowing about potential threats than even police do?

Exactly. From both sides of the fence too...

From the lawmakers' side who are spurred to action by police organizations and anti-gun groups to pass laws requiring citizens to notify police for "officer safety". Well, I'm sorry, but police officer is the tenth most dangerous job in America. There are a LOT more people out there employed in more dangerous professions than police officers are. And there are more workers out there that are in more danger of getting shot at than police officers are, so I don't buy this "officer safety" reason at all. It's about power and limiting the citizens' rights.

And from some gun carriers' side of the fence too who are adament about not letting anyone know they are carrying, whose "element of surprise" is sacred to them, yet they will turn around and say the first thing you should do during a police stop is to offer your CCW permit/license and inform the officer that you have a firearm. Again I must ask why? Assuming, of course, there is no law requiring notification. Shouldn't taxi cab drivers be offered the same "courtesy" that police officers are, since taxi drivers are 4 times more likely to get shot at than police officers are? Would it not stand to reason that in their routine day-to-day jobs taxi drivers must come into contact with more criminals than cops do?

And, who knows... maybe by letting the taxi driver know of your CCW status, maybe they will turn off the meter for the first few miles of your ride.

A lot of guys who feel compelled to inform the cop (when it's not required by law) just plain haven't thought things through.

A lot of cops are anti gun and think they are the elites who should have a monopoly on firearms. Why give them a reason to dislike you.

I believe that if a cop thinks it's important they'll ask.

As for the guys who refuse to answer the question: I think a refusal to answer will almost always be interpreted as a yes.

I never ask anyone because I just plain don't care. And my knowing they're packing is very near worthless information because I still don't know what they'll do if the excrement hits the spinning turbine

But if I did ask: I'd take any refusal to answer as a big "YES" with a Neon Marquee pointing the way. I don't think I'm alone in this line of thinking. Think it through: Why else would they (or you) refuse to answer.

The answer I give is dependent on the situation.

If my Dad asks I say: "Yes."

If someone I casually know asks I make a joke out of it: "Don't worry. I left my Uzi in the car." Or: "Ya accidentally shoot ONE guy and ya get a reputation" I figure that if they know me well enough to ask they're not likely to believe an outright denial anyway.

If it's someone I really don't know well: I just lie: "No. Of course not." I'm not under oath. They're not a Law Enforcement Officer. There's no law against lying. There's a reason it's called "Concealed."

If it's some one I've never seen before who just walks up to me and asks I say: "Get the **** away from me." And I just keep walking. I believe that if someone is "casing" me to see if I'm a soft target this is the best way not to show weakness while giving out as little information as possible.

I know a lot of people who advocate that it is "polite", "responsible", and "the right thing to do" to inform a police officer during a stop of your CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and your firearm if you are carrying for "officer safety", "because they just want to go home safe at night" and some even say it "makes it safer for both the police officer and the gun carrier".

So, my question is this, especially to those who say that you should notify police officers, even when the law does not require it:

Would you notify a taxicab driver and provide them with you CPL if you were taking a taxi somewhere while armed?

Unless it is needed for what ever legal reason, I follow the don't ask, don't tell policy. Unless I am pulled over by a police officer or I need to pull it for what ever lawful reason, I do not tell. Saves problems

If I am pulled ver or asked by law enforcement I will usualy show my permit if I am legal. That if I am legal in the state where I am carrying. The license may show up on my drivers license anyway. Otherwise I deny and refuse permission to search.

Nobody is "safe" and everyone is a potential victim.

I will never tell LE I CCW unless legally required. I also will not tell a taxi driver or anyone else I CCW because I'm not legally required and IMO it doesn't enhance their safety (recall santa comment above) or mine. If I haven't assaulted them during our interaction, then they know they WERE safe.

I don't see how telling anyone you CCW makes them safer especially if they don't know you personally. My wife doesn't consider herself safer, but she knows I'm ready for deadly encounters.

To me, everyone is a potential threat and could be carrying any kind of weapon. I'm not sure how many people legally CCW where I live, but I could care less if I know. If I knew, I wouldn't feel safer, I'd just consider them less of a threat, but a potential threat nonetheless. I don't feel safe at any time (even in my home or a police station), just more or less prepared and aware at various times for the unexpected.

Although LE and taxi drivers don't expect everyone to harm them, which is obviously reasonable, just as anyone else, they simply should be prepared for anyone who may. Knowing whether the other party has a firearm (or any weapon) won't change the fact that to know another's intentions beforehand, which isn't possible, is the only way to "feel safer."

But if I did ask: I'd take any refusal to answer as a big "YES" with a Neon Marquee pointing the way. I don't think I'm alone in this line of thinking. Think it through: Why else would they (or you) refuse to answer.

For me, the answer is nearly always "I never answer that question - but I do not carry 100% of the time."

I really do not see the reason why, if I boarded a taxi to take me somewhere, I would inform the taxi driver that I am packing? It is the taxi driver's job to bring me to my destination. And btw, so far I never had any reason to call a taxi to bring me anywhere here in this country. I either have my own car, my husband driving with me or a rent-a-car when we go to another state.

Are you serious?
Concealed is nobody elses business until needed.
I wouldn't even tell a date I was armed. She'll find out eventually. I hope.

Nope.

as a former cabbie the last thing i want to hear from a fare is hi, i have a gun! we were not allowed to carry any kind of weapon as per company rules (not even pepper spray) but after being robbed once at screwdriver point i discovered that a 4D maglight was real handy for spotting addresses at night. final score, bg's 1 me 3( two concussions and a broken shoulder) it seems that maglights work on both ends! the only time i would inform a driver is when entering a cab and my weapon was accidentally revealed and you are SURE the driver saw it. at that point i would tell them and show them my permit just to reassure them i had no bad intent.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back