inexpensive 9mm

johnsaxby

recently purchased Hi-Point 9mm for 159.00 plus 10.00 for a hoster. attended carry class and put 5 rounds in less tan 2 inchs. Many derogotory comments on this gun but many u-tube videos point out that fallacy. so far have only fired a handful or rounds but an looking forward to a good pistol.

I hope you have good luck with your Hipoint. I have owned a couple of their carbines that were pretty good guns.
I just picked up a Kel-Tec PF-9 for under $300. If you find the Hipoint alittle heavy for carry, look into the Kel-Tec.

recently purchased Hi-Point 9mm for 159.00 plus 10.00 for a hoster. attended carry class and put 5 rounds in less tan 2 inchs. Many derogotory comments on this gun but many u-tube videos point out that fallacy. so far have only fired a handful or rounds but an looking forward to a good pistol.

The problem with high point, aside from being excessively heavy and ugly, is the poor quality of the parts used in it's construction, which is to be expected at that price point. The gun will function, but it will not have the reliability, fit and finish, and design of a higher priced firearm like an H&K, for example. Trust me when I tell you that there is a reason the gun is so cheap.
I recommend you do NOT use +P or +P+ ammunition in that firearm, as I have seen some very ugly results from doing so with a hi-point. Congrats on the permit, and the target.

Good price and good luck with it! I like Hi-Points for what they are and still have the itch in the back of my head to pick up the C9.

Friend from work has a hi-point .45, while it's huge and heavy it actually shoots pretty well I think. Field stripping it was a bit more involved and there was places in the slide that the fit/finish was not there, but I was pleased with how it shot. Happy shooting.

The issue with hipoint is that so many want to compare its quality to much higher priced arms. At face value if it goes bang and goes where you placed it it is a good gun. If your budget prohibits you from buying up a level or two, this is a great gun. There are too many elite's espousing your weapon needs to be top of the line. Enjoy your new purchase as if were a Sig Sauer, become proficient with it and have fun.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Please don't be offended by this:
The gun is fine for a cheap shooter and if you're OK with depending upon a cheap, poorly made tool to defend your life, you made a good choice.
I prefer to buy the best tools I can find.
More to upset you, if you think that a single carry class is proper SD training, you are only deluding yourself, if you can, get some REAL SD training
YMMV

Just for amusement, I wanted to note that the armed security companies and executive protection guys I've worked for have all said. "If you show up to a job interview here, and say you have a Hi-Point, we'll send you right back out the door on the spot." They will not hire someone who carries a hi-point as a service weapon.

My Hi point C-9 version 3 is rated for +P ammo can you drop it in the mud or the lake and pick it up and continue to shoot yes you can, can you drop a Sig or some other expensive gun in the lake or mud and shoot it probably not with out a field strip and cleaning. Yes they are in expensive and ugly but they go bang when you pull the trigger. If it comes down to it a Glock is ugly and cost a lot more but does it shoot any better, probably not.

A Hi point reminds me of a Timex watch it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Dan

My Hi point C-9 version 3 is rated for +P ammo can you drop it in the mud or the lake and pick it up and continue to shoot yes you can, can you drop a Sig or some other expensive gun in the lake or mud and shoot it probably not with out a field strip and cleaning. Yes they are in expensive and ugly but they go bang when you pull the trigger. If it comes down to it a Glock is ugly and cost a lot more but does it shoot any better, probably not.

A Hi point reminds me of a Timex watch it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Dan

This is all so misguided I don't even know where to start with you. Check youtube for videos of Sigs, Walthers, H&Ks and the like being torture tested and still working just fine. It's why LE and Militaries choose them time and time again as both standard deployment sidearms, and SWAT/Special Forces sidearms. Pretty much EVERY 9mm is rated for +P. What they are NOT rated for, and are suggested not to be used with is +P+, unless it's something like an H&K which uses a very well-made polygonal barrel and clearly states that it will operate with +P+ ammunition.

Link Removed

Link Removed

hqdefault.jpg

Naaa I think they fair pretty well also...

Like I said, I have shot a hi-point and was pleased with it's performance. Just not for me, might want to do a little research before you spout off...

Glasswolf before your blood pressure goes off the scale you misunderstood my comment I'm not saying that the Hipoint is a better gun butt ugly sloppy loose fit yes get it dirty drop it in the mud will it still shoot probably because it doesn't have the tight tolerance of the higher priced guns. If you drop a Sig Walthers or H&K's in the dirt or mud are they going to shoot maybe but with the tighter tolerances chances of a jam or misfire are greater, because there not as sloppy.

An old World War II German probably explained it best He said " Germany made the best weapons of the war all the tolerances was very tight the guns shoot great, but you get a little dust, dirt or mud in them and the darn things jam or misfire. The Americans came in to the war there guns were loose and sloppy, but they get dirty , dusty dropped in the mud , you pick them up and keep right on shooting.

I didn't mean to imply that Hi Point was the better gun it is just a gun that you can take out rock climbing, Hiking, camping boating whatever and if need be you can use it to drive tent stakes. If you should happen to drop it in the lake are you going to get nuts like you would if was an expensive hand gun I really doubt it. Hi point is made for economical shooting and defense, but it's also a utility gun to be used and abused. Would you want to take your High dollar Sig, Walther, or H&K's and put them through the abuse I've described I really doubt it."

Didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a bunch with this comment and would I like to have a High dollar gun, who in there right mind wouldn't. I hope this explains my post that seemed to upset some of you.

Dan

No BP problems. I'm just noting that companies like H&K and Walther figure this into the equation as well, which is also why they make Navy and Military versions of their firearms that even go so far as to include pressure relief ports so the firing pin isn't slowed by water back-pressure when shot submerged. I've seen plenty of torture tests with those firearms and many of them function quite well with mud etc caked onto them. That said however, I recognize the old Kalashnikov argument for tolerances, and I concur that this is of benefit when it comes to abusing the firearm. Unfortunately the build quality of the weapon will in part, counteract those benefits. The zinc cast parts used in many Hi-Points is on par with a hot-wheels toy.

I'm liking the discussion gentlemen! I agree with the ak and loose tolerances theory. I do have a slight more respect after this thread. I would never buy one but I can see why it is an option.

I get very frustrated by Taurus, kel tec and hi point customers at the company I work at. One you shoot fb, hK, SIG, Kimber I can imagine buying anything lesser.

I'm glad their are more choices on the market but what frustrates me is they expect smaller gun for the price and keep trying to beat you up on the price and make me call around and price match to save $5-10.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back