Indiana Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

The simple explanation is that you cannot carry a handgun with you ANYWHERE except home from where you bought it or to/from where you're taking it to get it fixed unless you have a 'License to Carry a Handgun' - LTCH.

New to this site. Live here in Indiana. Have lifetime CCP. Always thought side arm had to be concealed in this state but buddy says you can carry in the open. Any idea when or if that rule changed?

The Indiana law doesn't specify open or concealed. The LTCH is a license, not a permit. It's required for any movement of your handgun outside your home or place of business unless you are on your way to or from a repair facility. Here's a thread over on INGO (Indiana Gun Owners forum):

INGO discussion of Indiana carry law

You can search over there for a lot of good info.

OPEN CARRY:
Prohibited unless one possesses a recognized permit.

What exactly does this mean?

If you have a license in Indiana, it reads:

"License to carry Handgun"

That means concealed, open, and in vehicle.

Hope that helps.

-Wraith

That "INGO" thing is very correct.

Before I post anything, I make it a point to contact the "People in the Know", so I called the Indiana State Police.

All of those are true.

I carry a full sized, Gov't Colt .45 and "Condition One" is the only way I carry. (Not much use if I have to pull it out THEN jack a round into the chamber.) Besides with the hammer down, the hammer/ pin in sitting on a live round. God forbid I slip on the ice and it shoots me in the arse.

With Regards,
-Wraith

I am always ready but to put a live round in while carrying.... Dumb
in my opinion. If you are in the situation, it's not hard to rack one in.
My opinion just being safe (I like my arse) lol

There is also a measure signed into law today that (with a few exceptions) no employer can restrict you from having a handgun locked in your car at work on your employers property. regardless of company policy or postings. However, this was just signed into law and I don't know about it until it has been tested in litigation when someones employer tries to challenge it.

I am always ready but to put a live round in while carrying.... Dumb
in my opinion. If you are in the situation, it's not hard to rack one in.
My opinion just being safe (I like my arse) lol

I don't consider it dumb for the weapon I carry. Remember, a .45 Colt Automatic is actually a single action weapon, even though it's called an "Auto". And it is the recommended/prefered way to carry the weapon.

Hammer/pin on a live round or cocked and locked? Personal preferance I suppose. And the .45 Colt has several safety features built into it that are made to carry it that way. I prefer cocked and locked, IMHO.

(I like my arse, too.) :laugh:

-Wraith

There is also a measure signed into law today that (with a few exceptions) no employer can restrict you from having a handgun locked in your car at work on your employers property. regardless of company policy or postings. However, this was just signed into law and I don't know about it until it has been tested in litigation when someones employer tries to challenge it.

Actually, he signed that into law yesterday. (Along with some 20 other bills.) Good news for us! But to read the papers around here, you'd think that people had no idea this has been going on for years. My company (in the rule book) has always stated that no weapons are allowed in the employee parking lot. (Although they never enforced it.) It's not like I'm headed off do some some chores and/or shopping and ever told myself:

Self: - "Gee. I'd better not strap on before I leave for the; Gas Station, Wal-Mart, Post Office, Library and then work. I'd hate to break Company Rules and leave my loaded weapon locked in my car. I should just go un-armed."

But it's nice to know that as of July 1st, I can do it legally now. :)

-Wraith

You guys are right on the bill going into effect on July 1. I heard that on the evening news along with that idiot Paul Helmke (i.e. Brady Bunch) saying that there will be gun violence in work places now because of this bill that Mitch signed. Helmke, what a putts. About the having a round in the chamber thing, I never used to carry one in the chamber until my carry piece became one that has a firing pin block (drop safety). I put one in the chamber now - less to try to remember if I had to do a manual of arms under scary/stressful conditions.:biggrin:

You guys are right on the bill going into effect on July 1. I heard that on the evening news along with that idiot Paul Helmke (i.e. Brady Bunch) saying that there will be gun violence in work places now because of this bill that Mitch signed. Helmke, what a putts. About the having a round in the chamber thing, I never used to carry one in the chamber until my carry piece became one that has a firing pin block (drop safety). I put one in the chamber now - less to try to remember if I had to do a manual of arms under scary/stressful conditions.:biggrin:

Exactly true, in the regard of; "...less to try to remember if I had to do a manual of arms under scary/stressful conditions...."

God hope it never does, but should the need arise, I know that I am but a trigger pull away from saving my life, or the lives of others around me.

As to your first statement.........they always come out and say that. Every State that has had Concealed Carry and/or Open Carry passed has had to deal with, ...."It will be like the Wild West now! People will be shooting people over not using a turn signal now!"

Of course that hasn't happend. In States that pass CC and OC laws, crime goes DOWN. The Anti-Second Amendment crowd really hate to acknowledge that fact.

-Wraith

Last edited:
Exactly true, in the regard of; "...less to try to remember if I had to do a manual of arms under scary/stressful conditions...."

God hope it never does, but should the need arise, I know that I am but a trigger pull away from saving my life, or the lives of others around me.

As to your first statement.........they always come out and say that. Every State that has had Concealed Carry and/or Open Carry passed has had to deal with, ...."It will be like the Wild West now! People will be shooting people over not using a turn signal now!"

Of course that hasn't happend. In States that pass CC and OC laws, crime goes DOWN. The Anti-Second Amendment crowd really hate to acknowledge that fact.

-Wraith

I get so mad at the media and the anti-gun crowd over that crap where they are just flat out tell lies about the "numbers" of actual crime in areas that have high gun ownership. I wish reporters and people would tell the truth about guns instead of making up lies just to promote something they don't like.:angry:

Well, it's like you said.

They love the1st, but (for some reason) hate the 2nd.

It's a proven FACT that the 2nd supports the 1st. (Yet, they deny that.)

That's why I ONLY watch FOX news. You get both sides of the story, and then are allowed to make up your own mind.

Unlike......ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC......who tell you what to think, when to think, and if you think differently, then you are wrong.

Liberal Media in a nutshell.

Why do you think they trash the "Tea Party Movement"?

Because they're afraid of them.

-Wraith

I'm a Tennessee resident and will be visiting Holiday World with my family in about two weeks. We'll be staying in Santa's Lodge I would like to carry into the park, however Holiday World's website lists this in their rules:

"No alcohol, weapons, knives or firearms allowed on premises."

If I carry concealed I know, if discovered, I may at least be asked to leave and might not be allowed to return. Will I be in violation of Indiana state law, or any local ordinances, if I do so?

I'm a Tennessee resident and will be visiting Holiday World with my family in about two weeks. We'll be staying in Santa's Lodge I would like to carry into the park, however Holiday World's website lists this in their rules:

"No alcohol, weapons, knives or firearms allowed on premises."

If I carry concealed I know, if discovered, I may at least be asked to leave and might not be allowed to return. Will I be in violation of Indiana state law, or any local ordinances, if I do so?

Well, (in a nutshell), ....Yes.

If those rules have already been stated, and you have read them, then you now know that you are not allowed to carry there.

If you are carrying "concealed" and are made, you will be asked to leave. Or you may be arrested and charged with carrying into a place that was POSTED to NOT carry.

So you ALREADY know the rules. I would advise that you abide by them.

On a side note.................I carry into many places that have signs that say no weapons. That's the thing about concealed. If they don't know, they don't care. I'd rather have protection with me, when others know that most don't.

Good Luck, and have fun on your vacation!

Wraith, thanks for the reply.

If I could summarize what you said, Indiana law allows businesses to post any type of sign or have in their posted/available rules prohibiting carry and permit holders must comply or be subject to arrest?

I ask because in Tennessee there are only two acceptable signs that prohibit carry into an otherwise legal location, and I often travel to states that have no means for business owners to post against carry, even if they put up signs. Carrying past those signs in those states is not illegal.

I could not find the restriction you refer to in handgunlaw.us. In fact, finding nothing there on the subject made me post here.

Again, thanks for your reply! We're looking quite forward to the visit.

I do believe that you are correct............in regards the "getting arrested" thing I stated.

In talking with a few friends of mine, if you were "made", you would be asked to leave at the worst. Or at the best, be asked to take your weapon back to your vehicle and leave it there.

-Wraith

UPDATE

There are no signs anywhere on either the entrances or in the parks themselves (Holiday World & Splashin' Safari) prohibiting firearm carry. Nor do they wand. So, my Glock 23 entered the park with me in it's Crossbreed Supertuck. Legally.

I even spotted a fellow concealed handgunner.

On day two we did the wet park rides so had it in velcro'd holster in my backpack which spent most of the day stuffed in a locker.

I was not really worried. Studying the Indiana law I could find no mention that signs carry the weight of law. That puts signage, if posted, into "anti-open carry". I.e. while not illegal you are are discovered the business may ask you to leave. Refusing to do so makes you a simple trespasser.

My purpose in these posts was to determine what was legal and what was not. I had no interest in violating the law but I have no problem carrying in businesses that "wish" I wouldn't. I understand that I can be asked to vacate either myself or my weapon and will do so.

HE/SS was an awesome family experience!

How about possession on a company property when the Company Forbids it in their by laws?
Also, what's the wait on Permits lately?
Any Company or Private land owner has the right to forbid anyone to carry regardless to having a legal permit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back