Indiana License To Carry Handgun

Ford Truck

We don't have a concealed carry permit. We have a license to carry handgun & how we carry it is up to us.

Since the weather was unseasonably warm today, I decided to open carry for a 17:00 rendezvous with a pro-2nd Amendment friend at Tom's Donuts in Angola, Indiana. Instead of wearing my 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson Model 66 in a shoulder rig, I wore it in an IWB in the right-hand appendix carry with my Carhart jacket unzipped. The revolver was very visible.

The waitress got big eyes when she poured my coffee, but she didn't spill any & she kept the friendly banter & chit-chat going while refilling our cups. A couple of the customers noticed when I got up to use the sanitary facilities, but nobody gave me any dirty looks or stared in an untoward manner.

We were sitting at a booth, but I could hear bits & pieces of some of the conversation at the near end of the counter & my revolver was the topic of some of the conversation, but nobody approached me about it & no LEO showed up.

Pretty good experience. We're close to the Indy area, so carrying openly is sure to grab more attention than what you did. Still planning that one with a small group...

Without a doubt, the Indiana Code does not prohibit open carry, but one has to be willing to accept a "man with a gun" call to law enforcement, as a result of open carry. Joe/Jane citizen has as much right to be concerned about an exposed firearm as we have the right to display one.

I agree...

Without a doubt, the Indiana Code does not prohibit open carry, but one has to be willing to accept a "man with a gun" call to law enforcement, as a result of open carry. Joe/Jane citizen has as much right to be concerned about an exposed firearm as we have the right to display one.

Urban areas and the areas surrounding them tend to be more hostile to open carry than rural areas are, so it does not surpise me at all that you got the reaction you got. Consider yourself fortunate that you live in an area where OC won't get you harassed by the police. I live in one of those areas (Gary), where unfortunately, gangbangers carrying concealed guns have made for an environment that is OC unfriendly to law abiding citizens with permits (go figure:angry:).

In the Columbus area I've not had too many issues with open carry, except for Wal-Mart (Ugh) -- and nobody seems to be able to get a straight answer as to what corporate policy is beyond "Concealed Only".

One of the employees at Target expressed some concern, so I got in touch with corporate and Target's policies are to uphold the state laws, so officially OC is good there. Anywhere else and I've had no problems except for a few eyebrows meeting up with their respective hairlines.

I'm just glad Indiana gives you the option.

Anyone ever think of launching some educational publicity campaign to educate the citizens on what's "legal"? Maybe we as pro 2A gun owners are gong about things the wrong way. We're so busy worrying about where we "can't" OC, maybe if we turn things around and talk about the places where we can. A nice "Thank you for supporting our 2A rights" campaign is in order.

Something to think about.

gf

'bout 2 weeks ago I was in Wally world grabbing the groceries........at check-out this guy walks past says hi to the cashier and I look over, notice a very nice, very visalbe pistol on his waist. no attempt to conceal at all.
the cashier looks at me and says thats George........he has a permit to carry that .357. I said no kidding!!!
she looks at me square in the eye and says" I know I'm good with it, I feel safer when he's in the store"
Go George!!!!! :pleasantry:

Anyone ever think of launching some educational publicity campaign to educate the citizens on what's "legal"? Maybe we as pro 2A gun owners are gong about things the wrong way. We're so busy worrying about where we "can't" OC, maybe if we turn things around and talk about the places where we can. A nice "Thank you for supporting our 2A rights" campaign is in order.

Something to think about.

gf

Actually, they're working on doing that over at opencarry.org

I tried to start an educational pamphlet over at open carry and there are many views, but no interest. I'm going to just make one when I finish my next project and maybe I'll just ask for changes. I'm going to have mine printed at the local kinkos and its only about .10 a copy to print them. The only time I plan on giving them out is when someone asks about my sidearm. I want to encourage as many people as possible to pack a side arm if they legally can. The more of voters who are armed the less likely we'll ever lose our right.

I tried to start an educational pamphlet over at open carry and there are many views, but no interest. I'm going to just make one when I finish my next project and maybe I'll just ask for changes. I'm going to have mine printed at the local kinkos and its only about .10 a copy to print them. The only time I plan on giving them out is when someone asks about my sidearm. I want to encourage as many people as possible to pack a side arm if they legally can. The more of voters who are armed the less likely we'll ever lose our right.

It'd take more than starting a pamphlet. Pay attention to the threads and see if you could possibly participate in one of the open carry gatherings at a local restaurant, gun range, or other place.

Have you been issued a license to carry handgun/CCW permit by your state?

If yes, you're good. (Indiana honors all permits, so long as you abide by the limitations thereof -- a "Concealed Carry Weapons" permit allows you to carry concealed only. If your state issues simply a "License to carry handgun" then you can carry concealed or openly).

If no, then no go.

In the Columbus area I've not had too many issues with open carry, except for Wal-Mart (Ugh) -- and nobody seems to be able to get a straight answer as to what corporate policy is beyond "Concealed Only".

One of the employees at Target expressed some concern, so I got in touch with corporate and Target's policies are to uphold the state laws, so officially OC is good there. Anywhere else and I've had no problems except for a few eyebrows meeting up with their respective hairlines.

I'm just glad Indiana gives you the option.

That's not Company policy. I OC in Walmart here in Virginia all the time at many different wally worlds

Last edited:
We don't have a concealed carry permit. We have a license to carry handgun & how we carry it is up to us.

Since the weather was unseasonably warm today, I decided to open carry for a 17:00 rendezvous with a pro-2nd Amendment friend at Tom's Donuts in Angola, Indiana. Instead of wearing my 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson Model 66 in a shoulder rig, I wore it in an IWB in the right-hand appendix carry with my Carhart jacket unzipped. The revolver was very visible.

The waitress got big eyes when she poured my coffee, but she didn't spill any & she kept the friendly banter & chit-chat going while refilling our cups. A couple of the customers noticed when I got up to use the sanitary facilities, but nobody gave me any dirty looks or stared in an untoward manner.

We were sitting at a booth, but I could hear bits & pieces of some of the conversation at the near end of the counter & my revolver was the topic of some of the conversation, but nobody approached me about it & no LEO showed up.

Since the above incident, I blatantly open carried (once the weather warmed) all over Angola, Hamilton, Waterloo, Auburn & Ft. Wayne. I open carried into every store, gas station, restaurant, bar, laundromat I patronized & while walking down the street or driving. I was stopped twice by police for minor traffic infractions while open carrying & rec'd NO hassle about it, no sermon about keeping it concealed & no arrest or citation. At one of my stops (in Waterloo), the officer immediately went from 'professionally polite, to 'warm & friendly' once he saw my License To Carry Handgun. I've also open carried in downtown Lansing, Mich. without hassle.

I am a VN vet recieving 100% SC disability,for wounds and PTSD.Years ago I applied for carry permit,and got a rejection stating I was unfit to carry.Anyone have similar circumstances.Thanks for any info:angry::angry:

Go George indeed!!! And kudos to that particular Wally location!

Fortunately I got mine after a hearing and a deployment to Afghanistan (which the ISP doesnt consider an acceptable reason for missing your second hearing appealing a rejection for a permit) and finally resubmitting. From what I understand, because IN is a shall issue state ISP looks for reasons to disqualify people. They ACTIVELY do this knowing that if they cannot find a valid reason to deny you they have to issue the permit. This SOUNDS reasonable, but in reality people like myself get denied for unsubstantiated claims and allegations. The biggest catch all the ISP uses is the IC stating that someone is not a "proper person to be licensed if documented evidence exists that would give rise to the reasonable belief that the individual is prone to violent or emotionally unstable conduct."
Now this could be any of a number of SUBJECTIVE determinations on the part of the ISP. We as citizens must simply appeal an unreasonable denial as I did. When I returned from Afghanistan, I reapplied. I was fully ready to go through the entire hearing process all over again, but lo and behold, I got my permit. Who knows what criteria is the gold standard when making their determinations?
Best advice I can give? If you are not otherwise disqualified (and they have to give you a reason they dont consider you fit), go ahead and reapply! Attend the hearing. Fight for your rights. Too many have simply given up.:to_pick_ones_nose::to_pick_ones_nose:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back