Incorrect Sherriff’s Office Websites

mtndwell

In browsing through the County Sherriff websites for Nevada, I noticed that they all were incorrectly showing the areas where a person with a Nevada CCW can carry. What all are showing is what the law use to be a few years ago, and do not reflect what is currently defined in the Nevada Revised Statute. I feel there are enough misconceptions about CCW, without blatant errors on the websites of those issuing them. Therefore, I am hoping that I can get some assistance from fellow Nevadan’s to contact their local Sherriff’s office and request that they update their websites. I have to go in to add firearms to my permit in Washoe County later in the week, and will bringing it up then with them directly. However the more squeaky wheels we get making noise, the faster the change will get made.

This is what is being listed on almost all the current sites (the below is taken from Las Vegas Metro):

Prohibited Locations
• A permit holder must NOT carry a concealed firearm into:
• Any facility of a law enforcement agency.
• A prison, city or county jail, or detention facility.
• A courthouse or courtroom.
• A public airport and/or a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.
• A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance.
• A public building that has a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building.
• Any facility of a public or private school without written permission.
• Any facility of a vocational/technical school, or the University of Nevada, or Community College System without written permission.
• Any other building owned or occupied by the Federal Government, the state, or local government.
• Any other place where carrying a concealed firearm is prohibited by state or federal law.

This is the way the actual law reads:

NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of any public building.

2. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.

3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of:

(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:

(a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which he presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.

(b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this State from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building.

(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building.

(d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.

5. A person who violates subsection 2 or 3 is guilty of a misdemeanor.

6. As used in this section:

(a) “Child care facility” has the meaning ascribed to it in paragraph (a) of subsection 5 of NRS 202.265.

(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by:

(1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or

(2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.

Ê If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2725; A 1997, 63; 1999, 2767 ; 2007, 1914 )

I cannot find where it's posted on Nye County Sheriff's web site at all. So, at least they don't have incorrect info because they have NO info. :haha:

The offices that are wrong, that I have found, are:

Las Vegas Metro
Humboldt County
Washoe County

State of Nevada, Public Safety, was incorrect, but I worked to get this one fixed prior to posting.

All others I looked at either did not have a page for CCW or listed only the process to obtain one. You may want to check your county site, to ensure I did not miss one. I think the challenge will be getting the two largest ones, LV Metro and Washoe County to recognize and correct the error.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back