Incident while carrying concealed with a fanny pack.

Before I started carrying I just thought older people (no offense) were the only ones who carried fanny packs. Now I automatically think there's a gun in there. I really don't think the non-carrying community thinks twice about it. IMO why does it matter?

"Nothing screams "GUN", like a fanny pack". Possibly true, but not for me. I have Multiple Sclerosis as you might know and part of the time I have to use a wheelchair. (it's a lightweight titanium one not like the big hospital cages you picture). LOL. anyway, I am a lefty and carry IWB when I am standing, but when I sit, an IWB is not very comfortable, It cuts into my side, and the hammer basically comes within 1/4 inch from hitting my tire, the only feasible way to carry is fanny pack. I really want to invent or modify a holster to mount under my seat, but haven't figure out a way yet. So, I carry a fanny pack holster when I am sitting down for the day. I don't think people suspect I have a gun in there. who knows, maybe they do. Maybe I should roll up to someone one day and say "do you think I have a gun in my pack?" LOL NOT!

I could never get away with wearing a fanny pack around my friends. Not that I really care, but it would get old real quick. I think Id rather just open carry than have to deal with their smart ass comments all day.

Fanny pack DOES scream gun, however I still wear mine anyway. If an on-duty LEO asks, I have my ID ready. I did carry a camera in it several times and a park ranger asked me about it, so I showed him it was only a camera. Since then, I bought a patch that says "Canon" on it and had it sewn on. Have a patch with "Minolta" on it, too, just haven't had it sewn onto anything. Look into a Crossbreed Holster or Kholster. Can be worn tucked in, untucked shirt, IWB exposed, and in a variety of positional angles. Fanny pack has been out-dated a little by these other options.

I I know in PRMass just printing can get you arrested. So with the pack the gun is concealed!Nobody knows for sure, only your hairdresser!:

Are you sure you can get arrested for "printing" in Mass? Because I was was looking at a carry map and it indicate Mass is an OC state.

I used to use a fanny pack to carry my Glock 23.

One time I walked into a bait shop next to the Tim's Ford Lake in TN. Inside were two TN Highway Patrol officers and two sheriff's deputies, sitting drinking coffee and just talking. Other than them, the place was empty.

I walked in with my 4 year old holding his hand and all four officers stopped, took one look at my fanny pack and I could see that all of them knew I was armed. Not one said a word to me and they went back to their discussion.

Very relieved when I left because while I had an AL CCW permit, I had no idea on reciprocity with TN since this was pre-internet days around 1997 or so.

For this and other reasons, I don't use a fanny pack anymore since it's so obvious I'm carrying a gun.

"Nothing screams "gun" as much as a fanny pack"

Or an untucked shirt tail ;-) Seriously, when in Walmart and I see someone with an untucked shirt tail, I wonder if they are carrying.

However we carry, we think it is obvious to everyone else. Yes, it might be noticed by a cop or another carrier, but most non gun people just do not notice....and so what if they do? As has been observed by many people who open carry, most people are totally oblivious to a fully exposed gun on a hip. Do you think those same people think "gun" when they see a fanny pack? I don't think so.

Depends on where you are from. I grew up in the South and my family is still there. they tuck in everything. Nothing looks more geek to me than a tucked in shirt while weaing white socks and boat shoes. Who ever notices a fanny pack after that I have to wonder. :-0

-178S

Some people just have no self confidence. I don't really care what other people think, and if I want to carry a fanny pack, or wear a pink shirt, I will. I also do a lot of camping and backpacking, and use concealed carry for more than just protection against the humans I encounter, with my preferred choice being a Taurus .357 Magnum. Fanny pack carry isn't something I'm particularly going to worry about my manhood disappearing any time soon. My own take on this is that self confidence is nearly as important as anything else in protecting yourself. If you only rely on your weapon, you stand a better chance of having to use it. Swagger will also get you into a situation. Just be yourself, be confident without being arrogant or swaggering, and be confident in your ability to use that weapon if the need really arises. I practice, and am a pretty good shot, but never take my practice for granted. If a situation requiring my gun develops, it won't matter so much what my gun is carried in, what will matter is that I have it available, and my mind is right about the situation, and that I'm practiced and proficient enough to make carrying it worth more than a mistake altogether.

I bought a patch that says "Canon" on it and had it sewn on. Have a patch with "Minolta" on it, too, just haven't had it sewn onto anything

Canon sounds better than Minolta. Of course you're missing the second 'n'. :smile:

My kid gives me a hard time for using a fanny pack for CCW. "every knows youhave a gun ". My reply to him is "GOOD". Forewarned is forearmed. If someone knows that there is anotherperson with a gun available, maybe I will NEVER have to draw a weapon in anger. I have personally begun to think that anyone who has a looose shirt that is not tucked inis carrying. I think that is part of situational awareness!

Flip
CCW WA STATE

Good point but when I carry concealed, I don't want anyone to even suspect I am carrying. The pack makes it kind of stand out.
Only to you. I bought my Uncle Mikes fanny pack back in 1990 or 91, long before shall issue concealed carry was ever passed by any state. I've worn it off and on ever since. The only people who've ever recognized it as a gun pack are other CCW people, one cop and one theme park security guard, and I could care less about them. That's about a dozen people in 20 years. You're making the mistake of drawing your opinion from the reactions of other gun people. Those people are few and far between when you're out in public, and like I said before, you don't care about them. Even on the extremely rare occasions when my fanny pack got recognized as a concealed carry pack, it was never when I was actually carrying a gun in it (I rarely do). There could have been others who never said anything to me but the law of averages says at least some of them would have. I'm an extrovert and I talk to people all the time.

And the rest of you guys must lead sheltered lives if you think people don't wear fanny/belly packs. Lots of people wear them.

But, if you're against fanny/belly packs in hot weather, I have come acros a solution for myself that might also work for you. I've mentioned it on other threads here. I wear a Crossbreed SuperTuck holster on a Crossbreed carry belt with my shorts and I wear Hawaiian shirts. Hawaiian shirts are designed to be worn loose and somewhat baggy, so they're perfect for CCW, especially if you get them one size too big. They're extremely comfortable in the summer too.

The easiest way to make sure that nobody knows you have a gun in your fanny pack is to wear a pink shirt and have a sweater tied around your shoulders. Also, wear your sunglasses on the top of your head. Should work just fine.
:victory::yu::laugh::laugh::lol::lol:

Q. What do people typically put in fanny packs?
A. Valuables, car and house keys, wallets(with ID'Si.e. your name, address, pictures of the people who live there) guns.

Q. If you were a street thug, what is the first thing you would take from your victims?
A. Their bag of valuables. i.e. fanny pack.

Q. If a crook has the drop on you, and you have a gun in your fanny pack, are you going to give up your fanny pack, with a gun and your address, and your house keys in it?

Open carry is inviting trouble. Anti-gun people have harassed a friend of mine several times. He insists on OC even though he gets harassed. (BTW: we live right near Columbine HS. Guns are a major issue here for obvious reasons) If you OC and go into a convenience store (example) and bg comes to rob the place, he's going to see your gun and shoot you before you have a chance to react. I've seen videos on that. Fanny pack is a visible mans of carry and bg knows that. They read all the same magazines and websites we read. They're not stupid (unfortunately).

• fudo
Q. What do people typically put in fanny packs?
A. Valuables, car and house keys, wallets(with ID'Si.e. your name, address, pictures of the people who live there) guns.

Q. If you were a street thug, what is the first thing you would take from your victims?
A. Their bag of valuables. i.e. fanny pack.

Q. If a crook has the drop on you, and you have a gun in your fanny pack, are you going to give up your fanny pack, with a gun and your address, and your house keys in it?
Couldn’t agree more…it’s a risk some people (including me) take.

Mobuck is right:
In Colorado last summer, I'd guess roughly 1/3 of the touristy folks were carrying a fanny pack or larger camera case. More females than males but still, quite a few of all age groups. Actually, the brighter the color, the less likely someone will figure you're packing. I would call them a belt pack since no one was carrying them on their "fanny".
Absolutely. I bought some patches with Canon, Olympus, etc on them. If someone sees the patch, they believe it without hesitation- psychological games.

CMNIII
Interesting discussion, but, who cares. So somebody has the inkling you might be carrying. So what? Are you actually concerned with what they might think of you? What difference does it make? You don't act any differently when you carry (you don't, do you?) except, perhaps, with a bit more positive purpose so, what possible difference can it make?
It’s not about what others think of you; it’s about bg recognizing you from the start and targeting you, first.

Scub
I carry open almost exclusively, and most people (80%+) don't notice a 3" S&W 686 on my hip, so I doubt they would have any inkling that there is a gun in a fanny pack. It is usually not something the "non-carry" public even considers.
Open carry is illegal in many places. That’s a problem, too. Like I said earlier, OC makes you a fast target for BG.

Daven:
I really want to invent or modify a holster to mount under my seat, but haven't figure out a way yet. So, I carry a fanny pack holster when I am sitting down for the day. I don't think people suspect I have a gun in there. who knows, maybe they do. Maybe I should roll up to someone one day and say "do you think I have a gun in my pack?" LOL NOT!
Do it. I will try to send a private message with an idea to patent for you.

Open carry is inviting trouble. Anti-gun people have harassed a friend of mine several times. He insists on OC even though he gets harassed. (BTW: we live right near Columbine HS. Guns are a major issue here for obvious reasons) If you OC and go into a convenience store (example) and bg comes to rob the place, he's going to see your gun and shoot you before you have a chance to react. I've seen videos on that. Fanny pack is a visible mans of carry and bg knows that. They read all the same magazines and websites we read. They're not stupid (unfortunately).

.[/COLOR]
Please cite examples where someone OC'ing (or with a fanny pack)has been targeted. I OC all the time in WA with never any problem. I would love to have a link for the videos you speak of.

Yeah, that's why criminals always shoot cops (/sarcasm off). Have you noticed that uniformed cops open carry? Don't you think that most criminals would wait or go somewhere else rather than intentionally get into a gun battle?

No one will ever know how many times a criminal changes his mind about a hold up when he sees someone open carrying. There was an incident down South early last year where several criminals cased a White Castle, saw some open carriers present, and waited until they left before doing the hold up.

It's only a myth that open carrying will cause you to get shot first. A myth without any data to back it up. I'm not pushing open carry, but these silly myths need to be addressed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back