In your opinion, which state(s) is/are the most gun friendly?

Plano?

We Texicans don't recognize Plano as part of the Republic. Plano is the land of rich heroin addicted youth. ;)

Great! Now you tell me! :eek:

Some of you (in talking about Indiana and Alabama) are forgetting that "Shall Issue" does not mean it's automatic, in any state.

The difference between shall and may is that instead of you having to prove why you need a permit/license, the government has to prove why you shouldn't have one.

I understand the distinction, and also understand that Bama sheriffs could start demanding proof of need, but the fact is, they don't. That's why I said, "For all intents and purposes" this is a shall issue state. It's not technically, but it is in practice.

The first time I applied in this state (in Cullman County) about 15 years ago, I was asked on the form why I wanted the permit. I asked the lady behind the counter if they were looking for any particular answer, or if there were any answers I should steer clear of. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "Most people just say 'self-defense'." I've never been asked any questions since then, except for, "May I see your driver's license?" So though they legally could, in practice, they simply don't make us prove a need of any kind.

I'm not arguing against working towards making Bama a full-on shall issue state. I'm just letting readers here know that just because this state specifically has not reached that status yet, it doesn't make the state unfriendly to those who wish to carry. I've held permits in two other states, WA and CO, both many years ago, and both were harder and more expensive to get than here.

Blues

Nevada will not recognize CCW holders that have non-res permits. So since I am an IL res with a PA & FL non-res permit, I cannot carry there.

Actually you can carry there, just not concealed. Nevada is open carry friendly and car carry friendly.

Indiana??? Are you kidding me?

Indiana is a may issue state for pete's sake. That alone puts it in the bottom 15. You must apply to a law enforcement office who chooses to recommend whether to approve or deny your application. Then the app goes to a superintendent who determines whether you have a good character and reputation and worse, that you have a proper reason for wanting to carry (I'm guessing that the 2nd ammendment isn't good enough reason). :barf: If you're lucky enough to be approved the superintendent can revoke your license at will.

You also can't carry in a car without a license. No, Indiana doesn't belong in the list.

My list would be:

1. Alaska
2. Vermont
3. Arizona
4. Utah and Texas
6. Florida

At the bottom of the list in no particular order would be:

New York, New Jersey, Illinois, California, Hawaii.

You took the words directly out of my mouth- from the beginning of your post to the end. With the exception of Oregon as being one at the bottom of the list. Although Oregon is a shall issue state they leave the issuance up to the local county sheriffs and it is slighlty tougher in some counties (like Multnomah) to get a CCW than others and you must be a resident in the county where your permit is issued. In some counties there is a time requirement to establish that residency.

Last edited:
Indiana is being made to appear less gun friendly than it really is. The fact is, I would not have included it on this list if I didn't know firsthand what it is like there. The fact is, Indiana is extremely gun friendly, from being shall issue (not may issue as others have opined), from not requiring training to get a permit, to offering lifetime permits. Also, the part about being asked why one wants a permit is deceptive. On the form where that question is asked, there are two choices (target shooting and personal protection) and you have to pick one. In my case, the personal protection box was already checked. Also, once the background check is done, if no felonies show up, the permit will be approved. The personal character "assessment" is done based on whether or not any felonies show up on the background check. If any do show up then the permit will be denied, which is a moot point anyway, due to the fact that felons are not allowed to own firearms, much less carry them, as per federal law. The personal character assessment is not arbitrary and capricious, subject to be denied based on whether the police chief likes the applicant.

Basically, if you are an adult non felon, Indiana is 100% shall issue. If you are a felon, Indiana is 100% no issue. That's the way it ought to be.

South Dakota

You forgot South Dakota. It has been a very gun friendly state for decades. We've had "Shall Issue" since about 1984. Also SD accepts all state carry permits. About the only thing we don't have is car carry without permit.

You forgot South Dakota. It has been a very gun friendly state for decades. We've had "Shall Issue" since about 1984. Also SD accepts all state carry permits. About the only thing we don't have is car carry without permit.

Actually, South Dakota's attorney general issued an opinion stating that unlicensed car carry is legal as long as the weapon is not concealed.

And yes, you're right. South Dakota's permit is extremely cheap, it is open carry friendly and car carry friendly (in car weapon cannot be concealed), no restrictions on magazine capacity, class III friendly, and it honors permits from every state. If I could revise the list, I would probably put it ahead of Florida.

Last edited:
I'm taking a class this week in Colorado (yes, my CCW is here with me :) ). One of the guys in the class is from Michigan and has a Michigan permit. I'm SHOCKED at all of the restrictions that Michigan has. They have to register their firearms and they have a limit on how much ammo they can have and have to track their range time, etc. and be prepared to show when and where the ammo they purchased was expended. He also said it is illegal for any child under 12 to handle a firearm. No hunting, no plinking, no nothing.

tattedupboy, you seem to still be offended by my Indiana comments. The last thing I'll say on this issue is that while Indiana may in practice be 100% shall issue today, the way your laws are written would allow that to change very quickly should the political climate change. I recommend you get your lifetime permit asap and hope that the 'administrator' doesn't decide to revoke it in the future.

Vermont and Alaska rank #1, you don't need a permit in either state. Alaska offers one simply for reciprocity purposes. Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Florida and Idaho are also good states.

I think Kentucky should be ranked near the top.

- Not because I live here but because when I travel to other states they are almost always more restrictive than KY.

NC - Paid admission prohibits (Opps)
TN - Dinner at Applebee's a no-no (Opps again)
TX and TN Private Posted locations illegal... etc

Most other states seem to have weird "where'd that come from" prohibitions.

- everything from Churches to Restaurants - tough to keep track of all of -em.

I think Kentucky should be ranked near the top.

- Not because I live here but because when I travel to other states they are almost always more restrictive than KY.

NC - Paid admission prohibits (Opps)
TN - Dinner at Applebee's a no-no (Opps again)
TX and TN Private Posted locations illegal... etc

Most other states seem to have weird "where'd that come from" prohibitions.

- everything from Churches to Restaurants - tough to keep track of all of -em.

I really liked TN but have never carried in Texas because I hear it it is simply a strange state to carry in (strange as in way to many rules).

I'm taking a class this week in Colorado (yes, my CCW is here with me :) ). One of the guys in the class is from Michigan and has a Michigan permit. I'm SHOCKED at all of the restrictions that Michigan has. They have to register their firearms and they have a limit on how much ammo they can have and have to track their range time, etc. and be prepared to show when and where the ammo they purchased was expended. He also said it is illegal for any child under 12 to handle a firearm. No hunting, no plinking, no nothing.

tattedupboy, you seem to still be offended by my Indiana comments. The last thing I'll say on this issue is that while Indiana may in practice be 100% shall issue today, the way your laws are written would allow that to change very quickly should the political climate change. I recommend you get your lifetime permit asap and hope that the 'administrator' doesn't decide to revoke it in the future.

I'm not worried about that happening. Indiana's permit law has worked far too well for anyone to do any tinkering with it. It's really not something I would ever lose any sleep over.

I feel SC is a very gun friendly state. We are the only state that repealed the one handgun per month purchase law. I think VA still has it on their books. Anyone can carry a loaded weapon in their unlocked glove compartment or console of their vehicle. You can open carry while going to and from fishing. Though our reciprocity list is not as large as some other states due to some states not having training as a requirement, I personally like the training requirement. Just like having to have a hunters safety course prior to getting a hunting license an 8 hour class does answer a lot of questions that a lot of people come here to find an answer. There are a lot of do's and don'ts that prepare the first time CWP holder to carry. Plus it's only required to be taken once. I've always wondered how many people don't carry with a permit because they have no idea what the law says in states that don't require training. Don't get me wrong, I one of those that think that our Constitution gives me the right to carry without any stinking permit. I just feel that some people need training before strapping on a weapon.

I'd put Missouri up there. Maybe not top 5, but top 10. Shall Issue state, open-carry friendly for the most part, can carry in glove box/console in car w/o permit, pretty large reciprocity list.

Gun Friendly States

Just in my experience, Louisiana and Mississippi. I've traveled the country and by far the gulf coast south is usually very gun friendly. Florida, and Texas are about the same most times. One word of caution for Florida though, as the Northeast libs move down there for retirement and winter homes, the political climate seems to be changing. If they don't watch their state voting, soon they'll be living in Jersey. :eek: As CCW laws increase and States, citizens and LEO's get used to the idea, things seem to improve. I compare the Northeast to the old Communist Soviet Union, except for maybe Vermont. :(

I know "Brother"

I hate it too. But "on the square", I lived and worked in New York City and New Jersey for almost 2 years. The bad part is, I really like NYC. It's almost a place you love to hate, but it kinda grows on ya. Parts of Jersey were beautiful as well as upstate N.Y. It was culture shock for a southern boy, and after a while when the new wears off, and you see the draconian gun laws and the hatred toward gun people and such, you start to loose your love of the laws and government, but I still like the area and alot of the people. :eek:

I would have to give Missouri my vote. They recognize all other states permit, you can carry in your vehicle without a permit, do not frown no open carry (which is good on a windy day) and if you go into a place that is posted and they catch you all they can do is ask you to leave, if you do so case closed but if you refuse then things change real fast

I hate it too. But "on the square", I lived and worked in New York City and New Jersey for almost 2 years. The bad part is, I really like NYC. It's almost a place you love to hate, but it kinda grows on ya. Parts of Jersey were beautiful as well as upstate N.Y. It was culture shock for a southern boy, and after a while when the new wears off, and you see the draconian gun laws and the hatred toward gun people and such, you start to loose your love of the laws and government, but I still like the area and alot of the people. :eek:

Beleive it or not, obtaining a CCW in NY State is not very difficult. The problem is getting a CCW that can be used in the Five Boroughs/Counties (Brooklyn/Kings County, Queens/ Queens County, Staten Island/Richmond County, Manhatten/New York County, and Bronx/Bronx County) which the State of NY allows and has more strict "May Issues" provisions. A NY State CCW is not valid in those counties but I believe it is valid in both Long Island Counties/Nassau and Suffolk.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back