In the Aftermath of Two Shootings - (The Elephant in the Room)

civilian75

Sheriff Garrett nailed it on the head. What can I add? Let's keep our guns secure!

Sheriff Pat Garrett
In the Aftermath of Two Shootings
Dear Citizens,

The recent shootings in Clackamas and Connecticut are on everyone's mind. We normally receive 12 applications for new concealed handgun licenses per day; on Monday we received 45, plus stacks of renewals for permits that have been inactive for months.

We are also receiving questions about school safety and how citizens should react in a shooter situation. It is clear that many feel a loss of security and control. One way to cope is to take action to control variables within your reach. Several ideas are offered in this issue, but I would like to ask you personally to take one action now.

Review gun safety in your home. In the two recent shootings, guns were not secured in homes. The shooter in Oregon used a semi-automatic AR-15 that he stole from a home where he spent the night. The shooter from Conecticut took a semi-automatic AR-15, a Glock 10mm, and a Sig Sauer 9mm from his mother. In March another tragedy occurred when young boy found his father's handgun hidden under the driver's seat. Even people who are known to be careful should revisit habits that may have relaxed over time.

Ensure you have gunlocks for every gun you own or control. Every gun purchased from a licensed gun dealer must be sold with a lock. Trigger locks are model specific, whereas cable locks work on handguns or long guns. The locks not only secure the weapon from children, but they cannot be operated unless unlocked by key. At $3-5, they make great stocking stuffers! Gun safes or locking racks also make thoughtful gifts.

My staff and I wish you the joy of time spent with loved ones and a heart filled with peace. Our thoughts continue to be with all the families and loved ones affected by the recent tragedies.

Sincerely,
Pat Garrett
Sheriff's Office News Pat Garrett

How do you know the guns weren't secure?

One a gun owner has been murdered a BG can do what needs to be done in order to steal that owners guns no matter how secure they were.

Trying to place ANY blame on the mom for this is just plain STUPID!

-

I wouldn't agree with your last statement. She knew this guy had problems, She got the guns & tried to teach him about them so she could " Bond " with him. After shooting her 4 times in the face, how'd that work out for her.
It is our responsibility to safely store our weapons, & make absolutely sure that any one that shows any signs of mental disorder, or shows a trend towards violence, should not be around guns at any time.

Guns safes and gun locks are good safety measures. They will protect firearms from falling into law abiding citizens hands. Unfortunately law abiding citizens aren't the ones stealing firearms and terrorizing neighborhoods. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for these safety measures. Criminals will not be stopped from getting what they want. They might be slowed down but all these can and will be defeated by determined criminals.

Well as my ole' Grandpappy use to put it, "Locks are to keep honest folks out!"
Time was in our local you didn't have to worry about locking your doors when you left the house, or locking your guns up. Sure, keep them out of sight and put away so the kids couldn't get them to play cowboys and Indians with. Two firends of mine and I did that once when I was a kid and we got our a*ses busted royaly by my Father! We never used his guns again either. But, shoot, I fergot, that kind of discipline for your kids to teach them a lesson today is called "child abuse". I kinda' wish I was a child today instead of back then - maybe I wouldn't have got a good woopin' when I needed it, but I probably wouldn't be the law-abiding citizen I am today either!
Link Removed

I wouldn't agree with your last statement. She knew this guy had problems, She got the guns & tried to teach him about them so she could " Bond " with him. After shooting her 4 times in the face, how'd that work out for her.
It is our responsibility to safely store our weapons, & make absolutely sure that any one that shows any signs of mental disorder, or shows a trend towards violence, should not be around guns at any time.

So, you think people shouldn't be able to protect themselves from family members that may be dangerous?

Her only mistake was placing to much trust in her son and perhaps, having to much faith in her own ability to control him.

Gun safety was not the problem! (To believe it was is to fall into the antis trap of ignorance & propaganda.)

-

So, you think people shouldn't be able to protect themselves from family members that may be dangerous?

Her only mistake was placing to much trust in her son and perhaps, having to much faith in her own ability to control him.

Gun safety was not the problem! (To believe it was is to fall into the antis trap of ignorance & propaganda.)

-
In that case, the gun is either in your possession/control or in a safe with acombination that is only in your head.

In that case, the gun is either in your possession/control or in a safe with acombination that is only in your head.

I think (though we don't know for sure), that this mother may have been forced to give up her guns before she was murdered. Some of us may be courageous enough to allow an assailant to murder us without giving up a safe combination when faced with the threat of DEATH. (But, I don't think many will face death with such courage given a choice.)

-

she knew her child had mental problems and was uncontrollable from what the papers say.....i don't think i would put a gun in a mentally deranged childs hands much more teach him to shoot there are better ways of bonding with such a child without needing to teach him to shoot

she knew her child had mental problems and was uncontrollable from what the papers say.....i don't think i would put a gun in a mentally deranged childs hands much more teach him to shoot there are better ways of bonding with such a child without needing to teach him to shoot

I think one of the issues that needs to be discussed is the difficulty and expense of finding help for mental illness. Personally, I'm not buying a lot of what is being said about the mother. We all know that the MSM will try there best to make preppers look like irresponsible maniacs. (So, I just don't trust everything that has been reported.)

-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back