I'm surprised

... what's happening in Wisconsin? ...
If I recall correctly, the WI legislature has passed "shall carry" bills 2 years in a row, only to have them vetoed by the governor. Flip the governor and they're golden.

BTW, VERY COOL that recognition of all other states' permits is included in the IA bill. I would gladly have gotten an IA permit, but no need.:yes2:

If I recall correctly, the WI legislature has passed "shall carry" bills 2 years in a row, only to have them vetoed by the governor. Flip the governor and they're golden.

BTW, VERY COOL that recognition of all other states' permits is included in the IA bill. I would gladly have gotten an IA permit, but no need.:yes2:

I already had Des Moines send me the application packet. :biggrin:

They'll probably deny you until the law goes into effect. They rarely issue non-resident permits.

That's why I never sent it in....well that and the range "qualification' was pistol scoring 75% at 50'! I know i'm not that good yet... :no:

I'm surprised that this site hasn't been discussing the recent events in Iowa.

Both houses of the Iowa legislature have overwhelming approved a bill, which the governor is expected to sign, making Iowa a "shall issue" state as of January 1, 2011. (As we all know, Iowa had remained strangely retrograde in its policy on CCW.) The language in the bill also states
that Iowa will grant reciprocity to all other states. So starting next year, if you have a CCW permit in any state, you're good in Iowa. Apparently, your permit doesn't have to be resident, either, so a Maryland or New Jersey resident with a Florida or Utah permit will be able to carry in Iowa. (Iowa residents will need an Iowa permit, though.)

Not sure about what Iowa will do about non-resident permits, but for most of us, that won't matter

Does anyone know the REAL effective date of this?? NEXT YEAR??? 9 Months later??? Sure would appreciate any factual information on the effective date.

Thanks for any info.

Does anyone know the REAL effective date of this?? NEXT YEAR??? 9 Months later??? Sure would appreciate any factual information on the effective date.

Thanks for any info.
The very post that you have quoted says "As of January 1, 2011..."

And here is verification from the Link Removed. (Last bullet point in the article.)

Thanks for any info.

I noticed it is linked to in the NRA site but here is direct link to Link Removed as passed.

I noticed it is linked to in the NRA site but here is direct link to Link Removed as passed.

Thanks for the link!

That 1 Jan 2011 Just cost Iowa a Couple Hundred (from me) as we won't be traveling that way this fall.

I am glad to see that Iowa took the "Montana approach" to recognizing other permits... "If it a valid permit, they honor it". We need that universally across the country, and if we had it then we wouldn't have to even consider federal ligislation to mandate it.

StaySafe
MG

"Montana" approach?

Some states (e.g., Missouri, Arizona, Oklahoma) recognize the permits of the other 49, but Montana honors only 42 others.

"Montana" approach?

Some states (e.g., Missouri, Arizona, Oklahoma) recognize the permits of the other 49, but Montana honors only 42 others.

I'm thinking...that he saw MO...and assumed Montana...rather than Missouri....:biggrin:

...So starting next year, if you have a CCW permit in any state, you're good in Iowa.

If the governor signs, or the legislature overrides his veto, and if the opponents don't cancel the new law with a court injunction.

I too travel through Iowa and would love to see reciprocity for my CO or FL permits. Other than Iowa's having CC policy like NJ or CA from my point of view as a non-resident, I enjoy driving through the state on I-80. Iowa is one of the few states I traverse that have wireless internet access at interstate highway rest areas, for example.

I know that in this world, anything can happen. But isn't it pretty safe to say that considering the overwhelming passage of the bill, a veto would be overridden anyway?

Right. So if the governor is anti, he can at least delay shall-issue for a full year by doing nothing, and hope the next legislature won't override or go through the no-doubt tedious process of passing a similar bill.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back