I'm surprised

BamaBoy

I'm surprised that this site hasn't been discussing the recent events in Iowa.

Both houses of the Iowa legislature have overwhelming approved a bill, which the governor is expected to sign, making Iowa a "shall issue" state as of January 1, 2011. (As we all know, Iowa had remained strangely retrograde in its policy on CCW.) The language in the bill also states that Iowa will grant reciprocity to all other states. So starting next year, if you have a CCW permit in any state, you're good in Iowa. Apparently, your permit doesn't have to be resident, either, so a Maryland or New Jersey resident with a Florida or Utah permit will be able to carry in Iowa. (Iowa residents will need an Iowa permit, though.)

Not sure about what Iowa will do about non-resident permits, but for most of us, that won't matter.

Both houses of the Iowa legislature have overwhelming approved a bill, which the governor is expected to sign, making Iowa a "shall issue" state as of January 1, 2011. (As we all know, Iowa had remained strangely retrograde in its policy on CCW.) The language in the bill also states that Iowa will grant reciprocity to all other states. So starting next year, if you have a CCW permit in any state, you're good in Iowa. Apparently, your permit doesn't have to be resident, either, so a Maryland or New Jersey resident with a Florida or Utah permit will be able to carry in Iowa. (Iowa residents will need an Iowa permit, though.)

Not sure about what Iowa will do about non-resident permits, but for most of us, that won't matter.

That's great news. Keep us informed. I think the issue with the health care vote has been overshadowing most other "good" news these days.

Thanks for the update,
Peace...

I think the reason it wasn't discussed is because NOBODY goes to Iowa except some politicians every four years.

Ahem...I pass thru Iowa several times a year on my way to visit my son in Kansas. So, make that "some politicians and JJF". :biggrin: It'll be nice to be legal.

Yup, that's where I saw him...

Never been to Iowa. Suppose some day I'll make it there. Working on my RI non-res now. gotta go and get qualified. KN1080 from this site is assisting with that. :biggrin:

Been to Fargo in Feb though... COLD...

Peace...

Never been to Iowa. Suppose some day I'll make it there. Working on my RI non-res now. gotta go and get qualified. KN1080 from this site is assisting with that. :biggrin:

Been to Fargo in Feb though... COLD...

Peace...

Only in the winter, which lasts from October to May, ain't no thing...

(It's approaching 70 right now, so it's obviously global warming.)

Only in the winter, which lasts from October to May, ain't no thing...

(It's approaching 70 right now, so it's obviously global warming.)

Yea, Yea, Yea...:biggrin:

It gets cold here too. Now we have lots of water. My wife works sales and customer service for one of the mills here that has water control gates on the Blackstone River. They predict 15.6' (flood stage is 9.0') in the next 24 hours. She sent me pictures from the lot and one of the delivery trucks is in 2' of water.

Peace..

Any other good news from Iowa, keep us posted.

Yeah I read this other day. Very good news indeed. I’ve been following it on the NRA-ILA website. And the full reciprocity is a huge bonus too!!

Any guesses on which of the remaining may issues states would be the most likely to go to shall issue? If any? Im not thinking its going to be NJ. or MD. anytime soon. :no:

Yeah I read this other day. Very good news indeed. I’ve been following it on the NRA-ILA website. And the full reciprocity is a huge bonus too!!

Any guesses on which of the remaining may issues states would be the most likely to go to shall issue? If any? Im not thinking its going to be NJ. or MD. anytime soon. :no:

None of them. Wisconsin is more likely to get concealed carry next year than any of those states going shall issue.

None of them. Wisconsin is more likely to get concealed carry next year than any of those states going shall issue.

Wisconsin always has seemed to be an anomaly in this regard. You expect anti-gun sentiment in New Jersey and Maryland, with their nanny-state mentalities, but it's surprising to find it in Wisconsin.

So, Abacab, what's happening in Wisconsin? Any links to articles?

Madison WI is one of the most liberal cities in the nation. Couple that with the fact that Wisconsin is the get-away (until the heat cools down) destination for Chicago mobsters and you understand that those two lobbies wag the dog.

Madison WI is one of the most liberal cities in the nation. Couple that with the fact that Wisconsin is the get-away (until the heat cools down) destination for Chicago mobsters and you understand that those two lobbies wag the dog.

Oh Boy ,,, That's the truth... Lake Geneva is about 70 miles away from Chicago and is where all the girls want to get married... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Then north of Madison in Wisconsin Dells is another weekend getaway. I-90 runs north and south between Madison and Rockford, IL Sit any where along that freeway/Toll road in Ill and count the cars.... Amazing. Funny thing is, next to Packer Football, Opening day for Deer Season is a unofficial holiday... Long guns are OK, but hand guns are not?

Wisconsin always has seemed to be an anomaly in this regard. You expect anti-gun sentiment in New Jersey and Maryland, with their nanny-state mentalities, but it's surprising to find it in Wisconsin.

So, Abacab, what's happening in Wisconsin? Any links to articles?

Not from there so I could not say I know of anything. I was just looking at the map and knowing the legislatures and the governor's races that it was the most likely to flip.

I just posted a thread about Iowa going shall issue under the 2nd Ammendment & Politics heading, I live here and was rather excited. I could have likely gotten my permit under "may issue" rules but it's nice to see political progress either way. Now I just have to practice more so I can expect to qualify when I do apply...

I just posted a thread about Iowa going shall issue under the 2nd Ammendment & Politics heading, I live here and was rather excited. I could have likely gotten my permit under "may issue" rules but it's nice to see political progress either way. Now I just have to practice more so I can expect to qualify when I do apply...

Or you can take an NRA Basic Pistol course... ;-)

would you believe IL has several bills in the system? Not just carry but shall issue as well?

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB5221

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB6249

And
Link Removed

And
Link Removed

And
Link Removed

And
Link Removed

And
Link Removed