Im Shopping for a new TV. I need help.

kn1080

So, My Hitachi 50 inch Rear projection lcd crapped out on us and will cost about 600 to fix it. This time I will certainly buy the warrantee.

Which way would you guys go?

LCD? Plasma?

Any particular brands?

Have you had any bad experiences?

I gotta tell you... my hitachi only lasted about two years.

Kevin,,,, Hang on there.. W-Mart and the cheapest you can find for a few weeks, When You get all of your summer painting done on your single family then Look for a really good HD based on the room you have it in. :pleasantry:

ya... your right again rick. Now the damn bank just has to approve the short sale so we can close and move in.

I bought a "Vizeo" Plasma last year at Walmart. It's been a really good tv. But after learning more about new technology, I think I'll buy an LCD next time.

We got Vizeo 50 on. plasma a few months back. First t.v. I ever had bigger that 27 inches. Got a great deal, about 600 bucks so got it. so far it has been good. There are pros and cons to each type. Some day when the LEDs come down I may get one but they are going to have to be a lot cheaper than they are now. I have a hard time paying that kind of money for a depreciating item.

Now is the perfect time to ditch the TV and get a life ...

don't hang out on teh intarweb either ...

(like I do ... and you do too ...) ...

:pleasantry:

My primary concern is that I want a tv that will last. Im really not all that interested in high definition stuff. I just want a 50 inch tv that will last 25 years like they are supposed to. Like they used to.

My primary concern is that I want a tv that will last. Im really not all that interested in high definition stuff. I just want a 50 inch tv that will last 25 years like they are supposed to. Like they used to.

That's a real bummer,we've had our Hitachi 50 in. for 12 yrs.. no problems.

I think that you have diagnosed your problem right there, Kev.

Well, those days are gone, especially as concerns electronics. For $700 bucks, you could get a decent Panasonic 50 plasma in 720p that would probably suit you for a while:

Link Removed

A better deal, though slightly smaller, would be this:

Walmart.com: Proscan 47" LCD 1080p 240Hz HDTV, 47LC55S240V87: TVs

Samsung, 1080p, 120Hz, LED, 46"

Oh, I really LOVE Samsung!

Now is the perfect time to ditch the TV and get a life ...

don't hang out on teh intarweb either ...

(like I do ... and you do too ...) ...

:pleasantry:

LOL I have a 50" we bought at Costco in 2000 that the ex watched a few hours a day, then we got divorced in December 2005 and in the last five years has probably had an hour of TV on it total. There IS a reason they are called idiot boxes or boob tubes. Oh, yeah, they can be used to watch DVDs on. I did watch 3 DVD movies on it last year. Mine probably WILL last 25 years. Hehehehe

TV & cell phones, the downfall of the US of A.

Ut-oh... caught, I DO hang on the www too much, but I try to read books instead of being on it.

BUT, it is like candy to a kid. I think that is true about the www for a LOT of us. :(

Ken

Well, those days are gone, especially as concerns electronics. For $700 bucks, you could get a decent Panasonic 50 plasma in 720p that would probably suit you for a while:

Link Removed

A better deal, though slightly smaller, would be this:

Walmart.com: Proscan 47" LCD 1080p 240Hz HDTV, 47LC55S240V87: TVs

Oh, I really LOVE Samsung!

For some reason, I totally missed that proscan in my shopping. Thank you so much for showing it to me. I know that I would really like to get a no hassle maintenance plan. I have to look into that one.

Just say "No!" to the cheese!

For some reason, I totally missed that proscan in my shopping. Thank you so much for showing it to me. I know that I would really like to get a no hassle maintenance plan. I have to look into that one.

I know that, having been burned, it is hard to say no to the extended warranties, but please don't waste your money. Most of those warranties pay between 25% and 50% commission rate to the sales person. Know why? because they are so incredibly profitable!

If you do succumb, and actually find yourself trying to use it a while down the line, I guarantee that they will find a reason why it is your fault, and they are not responsible.

Resist the dark side, KN! :laugh:

Dont think they even intend the TV to last 25 years anymore!! Looking at all the actual facts and not the sales pitches:
I just got an LG (they bought out Zenith) 50" plasma, 600 hz, 720p (which is twice as good as 1080i) and the new screen washing technology pretty much does away with any chance of screen burn, 100,000hr screen life(that might be 1/2 life) and all the ports etc you could possibly ever use, computer ready etc etc. so far it is a fantastic TV, great picture sound and even looks good when its not on :biggrin: $800
Somthing I didnt know about the stations now, not all the broadcast are even in HD, some are SD (singular def) not all stations broadcast all shows the same, some in 720i, some in 720p some in 1080i few in 1080p. Anyway, you get to a point where the technological statistics are no longer even registered by the human eye!
I dont watch a lot of TV but I love ma movies and this TV is terrific.

A word of caution, Mojo......

Be careful of depending on that screen was techno;ogy. Plasma screens are still very susceptible to screen burn. In fact, looking at your post, I see that you have noticed the varying definitions in which programs are being transmitted. As you know, they are also transmitted in different aspect ratios. On a widescreen plasma, lots of times you will see black bars on either side of the picture when the program is in 4 to 3 ratio aspect. My last plasma ended up burning those in, so that when I watched a widescreen program, I had these bars on either side that were a different brightness.

Oh yeah, one of my PS3 games burned in, too.
:cray:

how old was your set boomboy? My understanding from the guy I go to on these things is that this continuous screen washing technology is new; as in mid/end of "09 type of new?!!

I think that it was 2007....

Yeah, the tech was not called "Screen Wash", but it had some kind of special feature that my salesguy guaranteed prevented screen burn. The sadness was.... palpable. :biggrin:

hmmmmm interesting anyway even though the years are off, I just got this 30 days ago and it is supposed to be a "brand new" model. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be watching the washing :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back