I'm moving...

d@v3

...SOUTH! :biggrin:

Alright heres the story:

Within the next year, I will be finishing school and I am planning on moving. Ultimately, I will have to move where there are jobs, but my last few weeks of searching have led me to a few places- North Carolina being one of them.

I have an assortment of firearms and sidearms, including handguns and bayonets. Okay, now here is the funny part: I currently live in New York! :laugh:

Things I hate about New York state:
- Cost of living: It's right behind California in most expensive to live, and it's growing increasingly worse.

- I am literally convinced there are no young Christian, conservative women here that would ever agree with my right wing political views- especially when it comes to guns.

- The politics here are worthless: I'm surrounded by liberal, selfish, city-folk. However, it get's better the further north you get- if you can stand the cost of living and the bitter cold.

- Gun laws: It's the only state of the union you have to beg in order to protect yourself, your home, and your family. Not to mention, there are NO reciprocally laws, so I face turning into a felon by crossing an imaginary line drawn on a map. Also, you cannot carry in the most dangerous part of the state, the city of New York. If you guys only KNEW what I had to go through to get a full concealed carry in this state... and I'm NOT a police officer. :wacko: The laws keep getting worse in this state... I mean "progressively" worse!

- Winter is fierce. It's not the temperature that bothers me, it's not even the snow that bothers me. It's the bone rattling, face-freezing wind-chill. I mean, I can survive it if I wanted to, BUT, with the winter comes unneeded maintenance costs- most notably the extra vehicle and home repair costs. I would much rather NOT pay a $300 heating bill every month!

- The landscape in upstate New York is the most beautiful place in the United States. Mountains, valleys, rivers, lakes, beaches, canyons, we have it all. This is one of the biggest downfalls to leaving, because I consider myself an outdoorsman and conservationist.

- You can go more than a month without seeing the sun.

Why I like North Carolina:
- Not only do I tote my Smith & Wesson, but I also tote my Bible :laugh: , and North Carolina is in the "Bible Belt". I'm guessing there are some great Protestant churches to get involved in down there- and in one of those churches, possibly a potential wife to meet! :biggrin: To be honest, I wouldn't mind working at a church either.

- It's still on the East Coast, so it's within driving distance to my family in New York.

- With the exception of this year, I guess North Carolina has somewhat mild winters?

- I have only ever been through the Myrtle Beach area of North Carolina, but from what I have seen on maps, the topography seems to be nice. I like the mountains and rivers, so I was originally looking at the Asheville area, then I read somewhere that it was the most secular places in the southern U.S.! ...Go figure. :sarcastic:

- I have found that people are MUCH friendlier in the south than they are up here. In fact, as I write this, I am in New Orleans, and people are SO much more friendly here than home. I'm considered a "rude yankee" because I don't say "ma'am" :laugh:

- The gun laws seem to be much more relaxed and the politicians aren't regulating like it's their job.... yet.

So, I want to live within 20-30 minutes of a city. There must be mountains and good hunting areas within driving distance. What's your opinion? Where is the best place to live? I was looking between Asheville and Greensboro, maybe Ashboro? I'm not sure..... sorry for making this so long guys!

I also have one more question: What are your suggestions for transporting my "weapons" down there? Is it illegal to "posses" a handgun or only to buy it without a North Carolina permit? If it's illegal, what would I do with it until I get a permit? Thanks!

Avoid New Jersey at all costs!

Maryland isn't much better, but I believe the rest of the states on you way are more transport-friendly.

South it is!

D@v3: You can't go wrong by moving anywhere in the south. The Carolinas are nice as well as northern Florida, south Georgia and south Alabama. The cost of living is considerably less than New York and the weather is much better, usually. This winter has been the exception! Look out for the summers.....it gets hot down here. All in all, I think you will enjoy it down here.:happy:

Myrtle Beach is in South Carolina. Come on down the carolinas are a great place to live. Have lots of nice folks, great BBQ, and full support of your 2a rights. Depending on what you do for a living there are jobs available just plan on a pay cut. The cost of living is lower and so are property taxes.

...SOUTH! :biggrin:

- Gun laws: It's the only state of the union you have to beg in order to protect yourself, your home, and your family. Not to mention, there are NO reciprocally laws, so I face turning into a felon by crossing an imaginary line drawn on a map. Also, you cannot carry in the most dangerous part of the state, the city of New York. If you guys only KNEW what I had to go through to get a full concealed carry in this state... and I'm NOT a police officer. :wacko: The laws keep getting worse in this state... I mean "progressively" worse!

I also have one more question: What are your suggestions for transporting my "weapons" down there? Is it illegal to "posses" a handgun or only to buy it without a North Carolina permit? If it's illegal, what would I do with it until I get a permit? Thanks!

1. You can move and take them with you without any concerns. FOPA will "cover" you for the trip down. Don't stop in NJ or MD. Moving in will cover you in NC.

2. Since you still have some time...suggest you get either an Arizona ($60 takes about 2 weeks), Link Removed ($26 takes about 2 weeks), Link Removed ($65.25 + class cost, could take couple months), or FL ($117 could take couple months).

Each of these will cover you in PA, VA, NC.

AZ, FL, and UT will also cover you in DE.

None will cover you in NJ and MD.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I really appreciate the info on the PA license and I will definitely do that when I get back from vacation next week. So, my questions now are:

1) If I move to North Carolina, would I even NEED a permit if I already have a PA permit? Also, although I have never open carried before in public, would I be able to do so on a PA permit in North Carolina?

2) Is racism a big problem? I mean, I was born in India, BUT at a few months old I was adopted and raised in upstate New York. I am an American citizen and a full blooded American patriot! I know the Southern states are pretty black and white, so what about Asian? :laugh:

3) What do you all think the best city to live near would be down there in North Carolina? I don't like "flat" areas, I need some rolling hills and/or mountains and some good hunting areas nearby. I can deal with heat, but one of the reasons I think North Carolina would be nice is because it isn't as humid in the summer as Florida. Is this true? I'm visiting Louisiana right now, and they say the humidity here in the summer is just AWEFUL! I believe it!

4) Would I have to surrender my New York permit if I officially move?:angry: New York does not issue non-resident permits!

Like I said, I don't have any baggage and, while I need enough money to raise a family, anything is better than being a dirt poor, soon-to-be jobless college graduate! I will be finishing school in December with a B.S. degree in U.S. History, with a concentration on U.S. Military History in the 20th Century. That type of degree leaves job hunting pretty open ended- that is to say, I can do just about anything not math intensive. :laugh: I also have completed some law enforcement and legal training.

1) NC is not one of the states that requires its residents to obtain a home state permit.

§ 14‑415.24. Reciprocity; out‑of‑state handgun permits.

(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to residents of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued pursuant to this Article in their possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state.

(b) The Attorney General shall maintain a registry of states that meet the requirements of this section on the North Carolina Criminal Information Network and make the registry available to law enforcement officers for investigative purposes.

(c) Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state. (2003‑199, s. 1.)

4) If you call NY to tell them of your change of address, which i believe you have 10 days to do, they may tell you you need to turn it in...

Don't rule out Tennessee in your quest for a new home state. No state income tax is a major plus. If you like the mountain areas I would suggest looking into the east Tennessee area. Lots of hunting and fishing places and very 2nd A. friendly.
Tennessee is an open carry state with a permit.

Well I wouldn't mind the Tennessee area, but I'm not sure what jobs there are out there and it doesn't seem like there are many people living there.

So you can carry open and concealed in North Carolina on a PA non-resident permit only? COOL!

What business is it that NYS knows where I am? :mad: At any rate, if I don't notify NYS of my residence change, and I don't turn in my permit, will I still be able to carry in NYS? My parents would still live at the address that NYS has, so I don't see a problem with that.

NC isn't particularly friendly to open cary. While not explicitly forbidden, it is also not specifically called out as being legal, and is open to intrerpretation by the authorities. They have this thing called "going armed to the terror of the public"... which could be anything...

Also, check out the interactive reciprocity map:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

If i were you, i would get an NC permit as soon as you move. It covers lots of states.

Ok! Just got my Pennsylvania permit in the mail, so I should be good to go through most of the states on the Eastern Seaboard. Wow! I can't believe how quick the turn around was on that! It took 2 weeks (mailed the app out on Jan. 17th!)
NC isn't particularly friendly to open cary. While not explicitly forbidden, it is also not specifically called out as being legal, and is open to intrerpretation by the authorities. They have this thing called "going armed to the terror of the public"... which could be anything...

If i were you, i would get an NC permit as soon as you move. It covers lots of states.
I don't think I would open carry anyway. Personally, I like to keep the element of surprise! It makes for potent deterrence.
I live in Greensboro and Greensboro sucks. you need to be west of interstate 77.
I just looked at the maps, Asheboro is the only city west of 77. Charlotte is kind of on the line though. I would depend on the economy down there and whether I could find a job.
As a resident of NC, may I suggest Tennessee :)
Why Tennessee? I mean, I have heard nothing but good things as far as gun laws go, but isn't Western North Carolina pretty fair too?

Moving

I am a resident of NC. Gun laws are Ok. Can't carry where alcohol is sold and consumed on premises. Can't carry in a movie theater and a few other wierd places that you actually might need to. You can open carry without a permit. The "going armed to the terror of the public" statute is vague, but could be used against you by a prick cop. Just get the NC permit. It is good for 33 states.

Stay out of Mecklenburg county (Charlotte), go north(cabarrus county) or south (union county). Ashville is a liberal bastion in NC, but NYC it aint. More granola than anything.

Tennessee has better laws, but finding work is tough (try nashville). Trying to move back there myself.:cray:

Kentucky might suit you. Laws are GREAT. Could probably find a job in Lexington/Cincinatti area.

Ok! Just got my Pennsylvania permit in the mail, so I should be good to go through most of the states on the Eastern Seaboard. Wow! I can't believe how quick the turn around was on that! It took 2 weeks (mailed the app out on Jan. 17th!)

I don't think I would open carry anyway. Personally, I like to keep the element of surprise! It makes for potent deterrence.

I just looked at the maps, Asheboro is the only city west of 77. Charlotte is kind of on the line though. I would depend on the economy down there and whether I could find a job.

Why Tennessee? I mean, I have heard nothing but good things as far as gun laws go, but isn't Western North Carolina pretty fair too?

Ashboro is not west of i-77. Ashville is west of i-77. Ashboro is south of Greensboro.

I live in Mooresville NC (I-77 north of Charlotte south of Statesville) I open carry everyday, everywhere I'm legally allowed to(which is more places than Concealed Carry). NC is Open Carry friendly, the laws are not vague or iffy. Going Armed to the Terror of the Public is an old common law that gets misused by LEOs. they like to use it to threaten you into submitting to their commands. buts its all BS and if you stand your ground they usually back off. 1 out of the 4 stipulations required to convict you is that you must be going about a public highway. if you are walking around a grocery store, you are not on a highway.

most cops dont bother you, but there are the VERY FEW that want to be a bully.

Have you looked at Boone, NC ant that area? Banner Elk, Jefferson etc. absolutely gorgeous area. Good Luck with the move and dont be afraid to OC time and again!

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ...

While you have a PA permit, you can get a NH non-res permit simply thru the mail by sending a copy of your PA permit and some $ to NH.

If you get a NC permit you gotta go thru all the classes and crap again. A NH non-res permit is valid in NC. The only disadvantage is that you can't use it as an alternative to the NICS check to purchase a handgun IN nc, you'd have to go to the sheriffs office for a Permit-to-purchase which takes about 2 weeks and costs $5 PER ppp.

DO NOT MOVE TO CARY. They have a ban on OC'ing and CC'ing within the city limits unless you're on your own property.
"The Town of Cary does not allow the open or concealed carry of a weapon while on any public property within our community including on greenways, in public parks or Town facilities, or in Town-owned parking lots. The ordinance does not allow the open carry of any firearm on public sidewalks or right-of-ways. See Section 22-51(a) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances." RE: Link Removed

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ...

While you have a PA permit, you can get a NH non-res permit simply thru the mail by sending a copy of your PA permit and some $ to NH.

If you get a NC permit you gotta go thru all the classes and crap again. A NH non-res permit is valid in NC. The only disadvantage is that you can't use it as an alternative to the NICS check to purchase a handgun IN nc, you'd have to go to the sheriffs office for a Permit-to-purchase which takes about 2 weeks and costs $5 PER ppp.

DO NOT MOVE TO CARY. They have a ban on OC'ing and CC'ing within the city limits unless you're on your own property.
"The Town of Cary does not allow the open or concealed carry of a weapon while on any public property within our community including on greenways, in public parks or Town facilities, or in Town-owned parking lots. The ordinance does not allow the open carry of any firearm on public sidewalks or right-of-ways. See Section 22-51(a) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances." RE: Link Removed

I would avoid the R/D, Charlotte and Greensboro area of NC completely.

I say look at SC or TN. (It's JMHO; But I think the Laws in these two states are more favorable to the gun owner.)

It appears SC laws are about to change for the BETTER. They're real good already, even though we don't have OC "yet" and CC in bars/resturaunts that serve alcohol is currently illegal.

The best thing about CC in SC is most LEOs see it as a positive and fully support CC; and you also have some real good laws that protect you as a CCer.

Myrtle Beach and Charleston are two very good areas for work. I would also consider Columbia and Greenville/Spartanburg.

As a former & future resident of TN, I can HIGHLY recommend that state as well. Although, I would avoid the Memphis area, the central and eastern parts of the state have a LOT to offer in the way of jobs an CCer protections.

Before you move, be sure and check ALL the gun laws of the states you'll pass through. Also check with "Federal" law.

I am not an attorney or gun law expert. But, it shouldn't really be a big deal. Federal laws offers some protections for "transporting" firearms during a "move" from one state to another. (One thing you may be able to do is disassemble all your firearms and pack them away in the back of the moving truck.)

Here's a great place to start your research of "Gun" laws: Link Removed

PS;
The other thing you will like about SC or TN is the fact that your firearms do not have to be registered in the same manner they do in NY.

Good Luck!

-

I would disagree that NC is not opencarry friendly . There are a couple cities that are not but most are pretty good about it . There are a lot of Police uninformed and may stop you but they can not charge you with GATTOP. That is a big mis perception. They can not charge you with that for just carrying it in your holster. There is a forum called Opencarry.org I would suggest going there and do some reading. I live in Charlotte and I open carry all the time at the gas stations , walmart , grocery stores. ETC. The biggest thing about open carrying is knowing your rights and knowing all the laws . If you get stopped they take your weapon usually just while they are talking to you and some may say its illegal and try to hit you with GATTOP but if you explain the laws and they wil definitely call a super before trying to arrest you for that charge and they will then find out that they cant and hand you your weapon back and you will be on your way and the more these encounters happen the more people are knowledged about it so don't be discouraged if you get stopped and know that it is rare. But I would say getting a concealed carry is a great option but know you have the option of open carry and you dont have to get a permit. Please visit opencarry.org for some more info.

O and what I like about NC you have the option of Open carry or concealed and our CHP license is accepted in more states than any I believe and also we dont have some crazy law on printing where if your concealing and the shape of the gun can be seen through the shirt you can get in trouble but not here. If your in your car you can leave it loaded on the seat or the dash unlike other states close by. I wouldnt trade our gun laws for any other except maybe Arizona where you dont need a permit to carry either way. Yes you have to get a permit to purchase but I got mine in 24 hours. And if you have a NCHP you dont have to get a purchase permit. And the purchase permit is only for handguns not long guns.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back