Illinois adds Virginia

kwc

For those that are interested, Illinois now allows Virginia residents to apply for a nonresident concealed carry license.

You must have an active Virginia concealed handgun permit, and meet all of the training and other requirements according to Illinois state law in order to apply.

Well, I wouldn't say Illinois accepts Virginia, since they don't accept VA-issued permits as valid, only that Virginia residents with a Virginia permit can apply for an Illinois non-resident permit if they meet all the Illinois requirements. You can't carry in Illinois with only a Virginia permit.

Well, I wouldn't say Illinois accepts Virginia, since they don't accept VA-issued permits as valid, only that Virginia residents with a Virginia permit can apply for an Illinois non-resident permit if they meet all the Illinois requirements. You can't carry in Illinois with only a Virginia permit.

Absolutely correct! While some states will allow IL licensees to carry, Illinois has no reciprocity with any other state and you must have an IL license to carry.

This recent change now adds a third state to the list of approved states from which Illinois will allow a non-resident to apply for the IL concealed carry license. States must have "substantially similar" requirements in order to make this list. The list is unlikely to grow much larger under the current rules.

If they would accept Kansas, I could go visit family again.

Kansas doesn't prohibit issuance of CCHLs to persons who have been voluntarily admitted for mental health treatment, so unfortunately Illinois won't allow KS residents to apply. See the summary here:

Link Removed

It's not much, but you can still conceal carry in your car in IL with a KS CCHL.

Absolutely correct! While some states will allow IL licensees to carry, Illinois has no reciprocity with any other state and you must have an IL license to carry.

This recent change now adds a third state to the list of approved states from which Illinois will allow a non-resident to apply for the IL concealed carry license. States must have "substantially similar" requirements in order to make this list. The list is unlikely to grow much larger under the current rules.
What is the second state, after HI?

The polite response is: Thanks, but no thanks Illinois. You are welcome to rob your own residents, but leave us non-residents alone. Not all roads go through your state. It's very easy to go around your glorious state.

The polite response is: Thanks, but no thanks Illinois. You are welcome to rob your own residents, but leave us non-residents alone. Not all roads go through your state. It's very easy to go around your glorious state.

Unless you are a non-resident living in IL (like me as an active duty military member). Then I can't just drive around this state and the non-resident offer has value. Expensive, but still an option. Unfortunately, IL will probably never allow residents of my state (PA) to apply.

I was vacationing in Florida in February and took the CC class.......and I received my permit a couple weeks ago. After going thru the Illinois class and the Florida one I sure don't blame the state for not recognizing it, and probably other states for the same lame training such as I got in Florida.......a total joke to call it training! Class was 1 hour, bang off 5 .22 shots and me and three others were out of there with class certificate in hand!

I was vacationing in Florida in February and took the CC class.......and I received my permit a couple weeks ago. After going thru the Illinois class and the Florida one I sure don't blame the state for not recognizing it, and probably other states for the same lame training such as I got in Florida.......a total joke to call it training! Class was 1 hour, bang off 5 .22 shots and me and three others were out of there with class certificate in hand!

So you know, training has nothing to do with Illinois' decision to allow residents of another state to apply.

Money! IL is broke and they want the $300 fee!!!

No. If money was the issue, IL would allow non-residents from more than just 3 states to apply.

IL's current criteria is unrelated to training. For a state to qualify as "substantially similar," it must regulate who may carry firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; prohibit all who have involuntary mental health admissions, and those with voluntary admissions within the past 5 years, from carrying firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; report denied persons to NICS; and participate in reporting persons authorized to carry firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public through NLETs.

I linked to a state-by-state breakout earlier in this thread (post #6) that tabulates which states meet these criteria.

If it was training, they wouldn't allow VA. You can qualify for VA CCW with a 15 minute on-line course with no live fire requirement at all.

Unless you are a non-resident living in IL (like me as an active duty military member). Then I can't just drive around this state and the non-resident offer has value. Expensive, but still an option. Unfortunately, IL will probably never allow residents of my state (PA) to apply.

Thanks for your service, sorry it has to be in Illinois.

The title of the thread is misleading. The title makes it seem as if Illinois allows Virginia residents to carry in Illinois with a Virginia permit, when in fact it doesn't. It only allows Virginia residents who have a Virginia permit and meet all Illinois requirements to apply for an Illinois permit. Maybe the title of the thread could be changed to reflect that.

No. If money was the issue, IL would allow non-residents from more than just 3 states to apply.

IL's current criteria is unrelated to training. For a state to qualify as "substantially similar," it must regulate who may carry firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; prohibit all who have involuntary mental health admissions, and those with voluntary admissions within the past 5 years, from carrying firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; report denied persons to NICS; and participate in reporting persons authorized to carry firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public through NLETs.

I linked to a state-by-state breakout earlier in this thread (post #6) that tabulates which states meet these criteria.

OK, that explains it, makes good sense too.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back