Illegal concealed carry laws?

Lucenut

Is there a good resource to find out the criminal penalties for illegal concealed carry in every state? I understand it is a misdemeanor in Wisconsin, but would like to see it in writing. I will NEVER ask for permission, get on a government list, and pay fees to exercise my God-given rights. But I'd like to know all the variables.

Good luck with that. Carrying a concealed firearm (without a permit) in most states is a felony.

A simple google search should find the information you are searching for, but listing what states you are interested in should help.

Unlicensed concealed carry is a misdemeanor in most states, however, it's not a "ticketable offense" like speeding is, you will be arrested, booked, and forced to post bond to get out of jail. Further, you may get sentenced to a month or more in jail and community service, another name for temporary enslavement by the state. The first time usually carries with it a prohibition upon obtaining a CWP for a number of years, I think it's five years here. Usually, if you get caught twice, the second time is a felony.

The only reason to do this is if your state does not have "shall issue law" on concealed carry licenses. It is not only not worth it for any other reason, there are multiple positive reasons to get a Concealed Carry Permit (CWP). Even if your state does not prohibit open carry.

First, you're on a countable list seen by your state legislators. Here, in South Carolina, we have a very strong firearms freedom lobby that draws most of its strength from the CWP list. It is not affiliated with nor linked in any way to the NRA, yet it's quite effective, including using a state wide boycott of places that initially posted their businesses as prohibiting CWP holders from bringing weapons into their stores and restaurants.

Second, you no longer have to submit to the NICS check if you buy at a licensed firearms dealer.

Last, it gives you a foot in the door to reducing the licensing restrictions and enables movement to unlicensed concealed carry like they've done in Alaska and Arizona.

If you live in a state with a drivers license, you're already on a list. Don't sweat being on another list, in fact, the more on firearms owners "lists" the better, it gives the government thugs pause when they see how many gun owers there are in a given place. I like the idea that I'm clogging their lists.

if you have ever owned a house or real estate,owned a car,have or had a drivers license,have a social security number,ever filed a tax return,ever applied for unemployment or welfare benefits,bought a gun from a ffl,have a credit card,been to a doctor,have a cell phone,ever run afoul of the law(including speeding tickets),or even been questioned about your knowledge of a crime,voted,been married,and of course there is a record of your birth. these a just a few of the places where your name might be on a list. privacy it seems is almost nonexistant. as far as carrying illegally in some states it is a felony and some states it is a misdomeaner. you have to be the judge of what risks are acceptable. considering that in most states getting a carry permit is relatively easy i would go that route first. as i pointed out your name is already on several lists. and i agree that your arrest will give gun owners a black eye. still there might be situations that might be mitigating so talk to a lawyer. good luck.

3rd degree felony in Florida if carried concealed without a license except in your home or business. In a vehicle different rules apply.

Wrong on this

"bought a gun from a ffl"

This is not true. When you purchase from an ffl the background check records are purged after 24 hours, you are not on any "list". Granted the 4473 paper stays on file at the FFL, but that is not in any database.

Greg

if you have ever owned a house or real estate,owned a car,have or had a drivers license,have a social security number,ever filed a tax return,ever applied for unemployment or welfare benefits,bought a gun from a ffl,have a credit card,been to a doctor,have a cell phone,ever run afoul of the law(including speeding tickets),or even been questioned about your knowledge of a crime,voted,been married,and of course there is a record of your birth. these a just a few of the places where your name might be on a list. privacy it seems is almost nonexistant. as far as carrying illegally in some states it is a felony and some states it is a misdomeaner. you have to be the judge of what risks are acceptable. considering that in most states getting a carry permit is relatively easy i would go that route first. as i pointed out your name is already on several lists. and i agree that your arrest will give gun owners a black eye. still there might be situations that might be mitigating so talk to a lawyer. good luck.

Good points

Currently Wisconsin is one of only 2 states with no CCW. I figure in my lifetime I have been searched exactly zero times the risk is worth the security benefit to my family. In my 47 years I have never had a LEO check to see if I have something the size of a Ruger LCP in my pants pocket, or knife or pepper spray...

I know the new GOP control Wisconsin assembly is going to get CC of some sort, but their previous attempts which were vetoed by the democrap ex-governor were actually crappy laws. We gave up many more rights than we gained by asking for the CWP.

I know a lot of people are excited about their status as a concealed carry permit holder (badges and all that), but to me it's a bit of an insult that I had to ask for the permission to exercise my God-given right.

Greg

Unlicensed concealed carry is a misdemeanor in most states, however, it's not a "ticketable offense" like speeding is, you will be arrested, booked, and forced to post bond to get out of jail. Further, you may get sentenced to a month or more in jail and community service, another name for temporary enslavement by the state. The first time usually carries with it a prohibition upon obtaining a CWP for a number of years, I think it's five years here. Usually, if you get caught twice, the second time is a felony.

The only reason to do this is if your state does not have "shall issue law" on concealed carry licenses. It is not only not worth it for any other reason, there are multiple positive reasons to get a Concealed Carry Permit (CWP). Even if your state does not prohibit open carry.

First, you're on a countable list seen by your state legislators. Here, in South Carolina, we have a very strong firearms freedom lobby that draws most of its strength from the CWP list. It is not affiliated with nor linked in any way to the NRA, yet it's quite effective, including using a state wide boycott of places that initially posted their businesses as prohibiting CWP holders from bringing weapons into their stores and restaurants.

Second, you no longer have to submit to the NICS check if you buy at a licensed firearms dealer.

Last, it gives you a foot in the door to reducing the licensing restrictions and enables movement to unlicensed concealed carry like they've done in Alaska and Arizona.

If you live in a state with a drivers license, you're already on a list. Don't sweat being on another list, in fact, the more on firearms owners "lists" the better, it gives the government thugs pause when they see how many gun owers there are in a given place. I like the idea that I'm clogging their lists.

In Mississippi...fyi/fwiw

First offense... $100 to $500 and/or 6 months county jail time.

Second... $100 to $500 with minimum 30 day up to 6 month county jail time.

Third... minimum 1 yr up to five in state pen.

* minimum 1 yr up to five in state pen "for any person previously convicted of any felony who is convicted under this section"

I think everyone here has a good point. Just get the CPL no reason to be overly parinoid about being on a list, if you pay taxes, youre on a list, shoot, even if youre born, youre on a list. Remember the Census? Youre obviously on that list if you signed it.
Being on a CPL list, is never a bad thing, its only bad when youre illegally carrying concealed. You get stopped and the cop gets suspicious, or even just asks if you have any weapons in the car, you say yes with no permit, youre in a whole world of trouble, and what happens if your family happens to be in the car?
Think before you decide to carry concealed without the permit. Id hate for more slander on legal gun owners, and thats all youre doing by doing it the illegal way.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back