IL CCL - Change to list of approved states

kwc

For anyone interested in obtaining a nonresident concealed carry license (CCL) in Illinois, be advised the list of approved states (those deemed "substantially similar") has changed.

Previously, only residents of Virginia, Hawaii, New Mexico, or South Carolina with a license from their home states could apply to obtain an Illinois license, if they are willing to take the required 16-hour training, pay a $300 fee, etc.

As of today, the list of states changed. Residents of Hawaii, New Mexico, and South Carolina no longer qualify. The new list consists of Virginia (retained from before), Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas.

I don't know what will happen to current IL CCL licensees from NM and SC (there are none from Hawaii). Illinois has a practice of cancelling licenses when a resident moves to another state, so these folks may have their 5-year license term cut short. So much for the $300 fee!

Illinois is on the NOT list for my state.

My state does NOT recognize their LCT.

Their state does NOT recognize mine either.

Non-residents taking class in Illinois

For anyone interested in obtaining a nonresident concealed carry license (CCL) in Illinois, be advised the list of approved states (those deemed "substantially similar") has changed.

Previously, only residents of Virginia, Hawaii, New Mexico, or South Carolina with a license from their home states could apply to obtain an Illinois license, if they are willing to take the required 16-hour training, pay a $300 fee, etc.

As of today, the list of states changed. Residents of Hawaii, New Mexico, and South Carolina no longer qualify. The new list consists of Virginia (retained from before), Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas.

I don't know what will happen to current IL CCL licensees from NM and SC (there are none from Hawaii). Illinois has a practice of cancelling licenses when a resident moves to another state, so these folks may have their 5-year license term cut short. So much for the $300 fee!

Does anyone know if non-residents of neighboring states can apply if they travel to Illinois to take a certified class?

Now we know what happens to the residents of the formerly substantially similar states: the Illinois State Police are revoking their licenses.

See Gary Slider's update in the "Non-Resident Permit" section of his Illinois page.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

$300 for at most 2 years of use out of those licenses... wow.

Where are you guys getting this info?

handgunlaw.us is pretty up to date with changes in the law. I usually only keep track of my own state's legislature and follow some other gun blogs, such as TTAG. Every time I travel to another state, though, I check with handgunlaw.us first to familiarize myself with the state's law and its latest changes, even if I have just been to that state a few months ago.

Where are you guys getting this info?

Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau Website- The ISP doesn't tell you, you just gotta look from time to time.

Illinois Carry Forum - a great online community of gun rights activists in Illinois. Some have connections with the ISP and legislature and get thrown notices and warnings here and there.

HandgunLaw.us a great resource that any gun owner should be keenly aware of.

handgunlaw.us is pretty up to date with changes in the law. I usually only keep track of my own state's legislature and follow some other gun blogs, such as TTAG. Every time I travel to another state, though, I check with handgunlaw.us first to familiarize myself with the state's law and its latest changes, even if I have just been to that state a few months ago.
In my opinion TTAG is a rag. I don't trust it. Many of their headlines are misleading hyperbole and from time to time I have read articles where I wasn't sure if the author was making an argument pro gun or anti gun.

In my opinion TTAG is a rag. I don't trust it. Many of their headlines are misleading hyperbole and from time to time I have read articles where I wasn't sure if the author was making an argument pro gun or anti gun.

Can you cite an example?

Can you cite an example?

"The Truth About The Truth About Guns" gives quite a long and detailed list of transgressions, from Farago being a serial copyright infringer to his harassment of Alan Gura and Emily Miller to his use of writers that are clearly anti-Second Amendment by their own words, plus more.

The late, great Mike Vanderboegh was mentioned parenthetically in that post. As you may or may not recall, I knew Mike personally and trusted him implicitly. While his name was only a side-note to one of the list of Farago's transgressions that he (Mike) had nothing directly to do with, Mike wrote many times about Farago's.... umm.... shall we say, "deficiencies" in his analysis of important stories. Mike was much less generous in his own descriptions. I didn't read all of the search results in that link, but recall clearly that Farago was a buffoon in the way he wrote about Gunwalker/Fast and Furious for years subsequent to Mike and David Codrea breaking the story. Mike responded to his buffoonery fairly regularly. One such response was here from April 11, 2011, ~two years after Mike and David broke the story. Sherryll Atkinson and her parent company, CBS, had already validated on the Nightly News much of the story by that time, yet Farago was still referring to Mike and David as tin-foil-hatters and the like. (ETA: You should also read the comments under that Sipsey post of Mike's to find evidence of another transgression of Farago's - overuse of his ability to censor critical comments, which he did with Mike on the comment he posted at TTAG, but also posted at Sipsey just in case....)

I read most links to TTAG when they're about subjects I'm interested in, but since first reading, and then hearing in person, Mike's opinion of Farago, I've never used a link from there to substantiate anything I'm trying to say, at least if I have, it was a breakage of my own self-imposed rule. I take what is written there with a grain of salt unless and until I can verify through sources I trust that they got it right, which they do fairly often, but that fact alone isn't reason enough to blindly trust them when there's tons of negative stuff from Second Amendment purists like Mike and just run-of-the-mill gun-owning citizens alike being written about the site in general and Farago specifically out there.

I didn't count, but I'd say there's around two dozen examples cited at the first link in this post, and at least another dozen just from Sipsey Street Irregulars website in the second link.

Blues

Last edited by a moderator:
Blues, thanks for posting this. From the link you posted:

Recent events have shown us that people seem largely unaware of this pattern of misconduct in Robert’s past, so this post will serve as a centralized source of information on the same.

I clearly was largely unaware.

Blues, thanks for posting this. From the link you posted:

Recent events have shown us that people seem largely unaware of this pattern of misconduct in Robert’s past, so this post will serve as a centralized source of information on the same.

I clearly was largely unaware.

I knew that. That's why I just answered your question. If only others around here could take good-faith correction as graciously, this would still be a fairly decent site. Glad I could help in any case.

Blues

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back