If you could only have one gun...

if you could only have 1 gun what would it be

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
What would it be?????

I voted for a pistol. I can convert one into a rifle if needed like my 1911 barrel and stock kit. Best of both worlds.

It would be a 22 rifle

My Gram Pap bought me a Marlin 22 rifle when I was 5 years old, I wasn't allowed to take it out by myself untill I was 10, and that was 51 years ago.

I would do any small job in our area, put up hay, mow yards just to get enough money to walk up to our little community store and buy a 500 round box of shells for target practice.

I have no idea how many thousands of rounds have gone down it's barrel.

Since than I have used it to put down many beef, hogs, and sheep all with a single shot.

I have hunted Rabbits, groundhogs, and other small game.

I still have that 22 rifle and when I need something that I am sure will do the job with one well placed shot it is the one I grab.

Yesterday there was a button buck that had its back leg caught in the hi tensil woven fence and both back legs were broken and I didn't want to get too close and cause it to strugle any more than it was.

I had my 9mm with me so that is what I used, but I was wishing I had my 22 rifle this animal had suffered long enough.

I guess the way I look at it my 9mm will do the job if it has too because that is what I have with me, but if I had 5 men comming after me with pistols and they were out 100 yards, I would rather have my 22 rifle with an 8 round loaded mag. than my 19 round 9mm.

I have to go with a rifle. Probably in .308. An M1A, Cetme, DPMS, or the like. It is good for rapid defense, it can take just about any game found in the US. It can do anything you need it to. Shotgun is close, but long range cancels it out. Same thing with a handgun, long range problem for your stand alone weapon.

Just my opinion, I am sure there are 100 different positions on this question.

I'd rather keep all of my firearms (rifles, shotguns, pistols, even my other defense tools such as my fighting sticks, swords, and knives). Why make me choose just one? With that said, at least with my pistol, I can carry it legally with me wherever I go.

If in the worse-case scenario that everything by legislation becomes banned, then I will voluntarily become a criminal with owning and/or carrying something as a tool of defense (family and self) and a means to feed my family.

- Ceicei

I am tempted to say rifle but I can not carry one in the store, to the mall, the movie theater, into my church etc. So I guess I will have to say pistol.

As usual, not enough info for a good decision, but that always seems to be the case.

For an urban, life as it currently exists situation, I would go with the pistol due to concealment, home defense and all-round portable defensive considerations.

If we are talking SHTF or zombie scenarios then I go with the .308 in an AR configuration. Defense, offense and hunting all rolled into one.

A rifle if I have to start carrying a guitar case with me every where so be it. As it is there is one in the trunk now 24/7. With another by the bed along with the shottie and XD on the night stand. A pistol is only to be used until you can get your long gun

If conditions came down to having only one firearm, concealability will not be an issue. Portability, quickness, yes, and if it could be concealed, fine, but not as the primary characteristic.

Power, accuracy, and the ability to reach out and keep distance are the key factors. Neither a shotgun nor a handgun can do that as effectively as a rifle.

A rifle can do close quarters duty also, and penetrate barriers.

A folding stock and a 18"-20" barrel, reliable, low maintenance, magazine fed semi-auto is the all-around single weapon. When our troops use something else, it is for special purposes, not all-around use. Make mine an AKM, 7.62x39.

Though I would prefer a gun...

a sharp pointy stick does have it's merrits.It's effective,and it's quiet.

:biggrin:

I think I would have to clarify my position. It it was in urban environments i would stay with my glock 23. However, in the event of a zombie apocalypse my weapon of choice would be an M4. Short barrel for close quarters use with the ability to reach out using the 5.56 round. And of course a Cricket bat on my back, psh who needs a pointy stick haha.
"Excuse me sir, youve got some red on you."

My trusy AMD65 SBR. Although not incredibly accurate (as AK platforms go), it is very reliable, short, good in close quarters, and failry good up to 150yds. And, once the shooting starts, if not hit by a round, the muzzle flashes will care sh..tless anyone left down range.:biggrin:

I chose rifle, but was torn. I almost voted pistol, but if I'm limited to one only, I'd have to go for one of my AK-47's. The AK comes closest to an "all-purpose" gun IMHO.

Shotgun: best all around for hunting and home defense. Sure you'd lose concealment, but the ammo is cheaper and you can do more with it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back