If someone starts shooting in public, should I shoot back?

If you shoot someone, there’s a rule you need to remember, if you have an avenue to retreat from the situation without any harm to yourself you need to take it, the lawyers will emphasize this at trial and will win the argument and you will most likely go to jail and loose everything in the outcome.

...unless you're in a "Stand Your Ground" state. In that case you only have to determine that your life IS in danger and the attacker is breaking a law. You are not required to attempt to run away and see if the attacker keeps attacking you before you defend yourself.

Still, sometimes just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

...unless you're in a "Stand Your Ground" state. In that case you only have to determine that your life IS in danger and the attacker is breaking a law. You are not required to attempt to run away and see if the attacker keeps attacking you before you defend yourself.

^ This, it's nice living in a free state... And yes, I would not want an injured bystander on my conscience, but on the other hand, if I have time for them to be on my conscience I probably survived, and the other shooter probably didn't... And again, you didn't put people in harms way the assailant did, is it ethical to risk one to save many? That's a question to be debated after the threat is gone...

I would hate to be in that situation myself I mean what do you do, if I shoot I could be in trouble and if I run while kids and teachers are been kill. I will probably shoot to try to keep people for been kill and worry about the last one later.

There has to be a moral obligation to act. I could not live with myself if I was in the next room while a gunman was slaughtering innocents.

At some point people have to just stand up for what's right.

I will move seek cover, defend myself and family, those of you who don't have guns can wait on the police to protect you, it was nice knowing you.

The fly in the ointment with your strategy is that children that may be getting shot not only don't have firearms but are not allowed by law to have firearms. By the way...their parents are not with them at that moment anyway! It is disingenuous of us that do carry firearms to try to tell the antis that the more people with guns will mean less violence and in the next breath say "Oh by the way...if I see an active shooter and have my firearm with me I am out of there!" Why do we carry a firearm...to just run at the first sight of violence. In that case the antis are right...there is no need for anybody to be armed because we can all just sit around and wait for the cops.

The fly in the ointment with your strategy is that children that may be getting shot not only don't have firearms but are not allowed by law to have firearms. By the way...their parents are not with them at that moment anyway! It is disingenuous of us that do carry firearms to try to tell the antis that the more people with guns will mean less violence and in the next breath say "Oh by the way...if I see an active shooter and have my firearm with me I am out of there!" Why do we carry a firearm...to just run at the first sight of violence. In that case the antis are right...there is no need for anybody to be armed because we can all just sit around and wait for the cops.

I guess I will have to post the word sarcasim on all my post. In Texas we may use force of arms to protect the innocent and I will, the criminal doing the killing and shooting will suck up the all the criminal charges. If you are harming children or other individuals and I am there, you are going to the morgue and I don't care what some attorney thinks that was not on site. Is this a little clearer.

I guess I will have to post the word sarcasim on all my post. In Texas we may use force of arms to protect the innocent and I will, the criminal doing the killing and shooting will suck up the all the criminal charges. If you are harming children or other individuals and I am there, you are going to the morgue and I don't care what some attorney thinks that was not on site. Is this a little clearer.

Your sarcasm needs a bit of polish and clarity. The antis will publish everything you say so tongue in cheek humor better show a facial bulge.

Michigan has great Castle laws... anyplace you have a legal right to be, there is no duty to retreat.... And some states have good Samaritan laws requiring you to assist someone in need, talk about a Conundrum...

If you shoot someone, there’s a rule you need to remember, if you have an avenue to retreat from the situation without any harm to yourself you need to take it, the lawyers will emphasize this at trial and will win the argument and you will most likely go to jail and loose everything in the outcome.

This depends on whether there is a stand your ground law in your state doesn't it?

In SC stand your ground applies to others too. So if someone else is getting beat to death, you can legally defend them under stand your ground.

Wrong! Some states do not have a duty to retreat. Also, you need to have a good lawyer in your phone and ready for any reason. You are permitted to use your weapon to prevent a felony (ie. abduction, rape, MURDER, mass shooting, etc.). Any prosecutor in this country at this time that prosecutes a person for neutralizing mass shooter will certainly be reprimanded harshly. Be smart and protect your own first and foremost. Then if you can save lives without getting killed in the act by god man save some lives.

In many "castle doctrine" states, there is no duty to retreat.

If you can call 911 do so. If you can get away do so. If the shooter is prepared to take a life and you can stop it do so. If your life is in danger then shoot.

^ you didn't put people in harms way the assailant did, is it ethical to risk one to save many? That's a question to be debated after the threat is gone...

The President and Vice President of the United States and several people in the anti-gun movement answered this one for you. "If we can save just one life, it is worth it" knowing it would cost many more lives to accomplish that.

oops! that's backwards they are risking many to save ONE. What the hell was I thinking. I stand corrected.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back