If One Person Knows, Everyone Knows

Treo

Bullet Proof
I was helping a friend from church move a piano yesterday and the subject of guns and carrying in church came up. Long story short I mentioned that there were a few people in our church that had come up and given me a hug and put their hands right on my gun.
Because of this I assumed that they knew I carried.

Well, during the conversation my friend mentioned that one of our praise team members who had been one of the people I’d mentioned didn’t know because he had asked her if she was aware and she had responded that she had no clue.

The point to this story is that once you tell anyone you carry you have no control over who gets the information.

I know some are going to say I should tell the guy to shut up but the fact is it’s too late and I don’t think he’d get it anyway. He’s a nice guy but he just doesn’t get it.

There is another guy who carries that works at the church w/ my friend. This guy’s concealment is (to put it generously) minimal and the first time my friend noticed his gun he reach out and grabbed it and asked “is this what I think it is?” The friend doesn’t get that he crossed a huge line doing that so he certainly isn’t going to get the concept that concealed means we don’t talk about it to random church members

A couple of people know at the church I attend, but it isnt a problem. But it is a rural church and most if not all of the people in the area own guns. However It would be hard to see when I carry, as its a NAA 22 magnum and easy to conceal. I dont advertise as it might be a problem to a future attendee. I have a scientific term to describe people who are scared of guns, 'GUNAPHOBIC'.

The same with family. My father found out I carry during our Christmas visit a few years ago. At the big family gathering a few days later he told my Aunts and Uncles that I carry and probably had it on me at the time. I hadn't thought to tell him not to mention it. I did talk to him afterwards and hopefully he hasn't told anyone else. Remember, if a secret is known by more than 1 person it is no longer a secret.

YMOS,
Tony

I was very fortunate that a guy I knew at church came up, shook my hand and gave me a pat on the spot where I normally carry. I had went shooting with this guy before, but he didn't know about the pocket gun I had at the time. Then he stated that someone said I carried. I just looked at him and said, "At church? Are you nuts? I believe that is illegal." I asked him in a nice way to see who told him that. Turns out the guy talked to a mutual friend on the security team. A separate discussion ensued a few minutes after church. UGGGH.

Truthfully, carrying at church should not be the problem that it seems to be. The major problem I see often is the reaction
from Church members when they find out that you do carry in church. My major problems are those that suffer from "gunaphobia."

carrying at church

Seems there are many shootings in churches. Not from members, but other unstable people who just walk in off the street and start shooting. So there should be several trained CC's in the churches. If worried about pass throughs and other people, (always a consideration). Then use "Defrangibles"

It's a bit of a catch 22:
Being open and educational about firearms can take away from the concealed aspect of carrying. Sometimes there's only so many ways to "test the water" before starting discussion, let alone who may be listening to the discussion that isn't part of it. Based on this, I find being quieter is better.

When I first started thinking of acquiring a firearm one of the first things I did was ask my friends and acquaintances on Facebook if any of them had a gun and what did they recommend. I got the usual responses. Get a Glock, no, an XD, no, 1911, etc. It was, as you can imagine, quite a spirited discussion for a few days. Until one day another friend sent me a private message emphasizing that now everyone on my Facebook knew I was interested in getting a gun and carrying it. Including any of my many employers who might also be on my friends list. And they might not be so happy to know that I might be carrying. So, I did as suggested and deleted that posting. But, one of those guys still openly posts messages to me asking if I am going to the next gun show or whatever.

I have learned to be a little more discreet. I guess, technically, I shouldn't even let anyone here or in any of the other gun forums know either. Who knows, how easy would it be for someone from the government to come in and start checking posts and profiles to see who has what and what their mindset is about the government? I see signature lines all the time that tell just about every weapon that person has. Or how about all those EDC posts where people show photos of their daily carry?

Rick

Long story short I mentioned that there were a few people in our church that had come up and given me a hug and put their hands right on my gun.

I'm assuming you were returning the hug at the time, which means their paws were alot closer to your weapon than your paws were to your weapon.

I'm assuming you were returning the hug at the time, which means their paws were alot closer to your weapon than your paws were to your weapon.

First , long time no see nice to see you again.

Second these were all people I had known for years and I was in one of the few places where I feel safe in letting my guard down.

It's not like they were random strangers that were just putting their hands on me

My parents and close friends know I carry, it doesn't bother me what so ever. I got stopped by the cops for OC which is legal here they checked me out and sent me on my way.

It doesn't bother me if people know I carry, I just know that I will be protecting myself if the time calls for it. If they think I'm crazy for carrying they need to open their eyes to this world.

Most people who know me know that I carry since I open carry as well as concealed. As long as the unexpected have no idea will be to my advantage and being in a wheel chair I need every equalizer I can get.

Most of my co workers and certainly my friends know that I carry. But I only carry where it's legal so it's never been an issue yet.

I was helping a friend from church move a piano yesterday and the subject of guns and carrying in church came up. Long story short I mentioned that there were a few people in our church that had come up and given me a hug and put their hands right on my gun.
Because of this I assumed that they knew I carried.

Well, during the conversation my friend mentioned that one of our praise team members who had been one of the people I’d mentioned didn’t know because he had asked her if she was aware and she had responded that she had no clue.

The point to this story is that once you tell anyone you carry you have no control over who gets the information.

I know some are going to say I should tell the guy to shut up but the fact is it’s too late and I don’t think he’d get it anyway. He’s a nice guy but he just doesn’t get it.

There is another guy who carries that works at the church w/ my friend. This guy’s concealment is (to put it generously) minimal and the first time my friend noticed his gun he reach out and grabbed it and asked “is this what I think it is?” The friend doesn’t get that he crossed a huge line doing that so he certainly isn’t going to get the concept that concealed means we don’t talk about it to random church members
I agree with that statement. And its not just with guns it can be anything. That why, with me any way, If I don't want something known I don't tell anyone. And I most certanly don't want it known that I carry a gun!!

In CT we can carry concealed in a church without permission. I often shoot with friends from church so a lot of people at church know that I have guns and that I carry. I dont advertise about carrying at church either. I do find the friendly hugging to be an issue so I carry in the appendix position. This way, no one will accidently touch it in the hug. I have found that I have to be carful if I'm shaking someone's hand and they initiate a hug while still shaking hands. You know, one of those single handed hugs that guys do. In this case, I raise their hand a little so it doesn't touch the butt of the gun. So far, even the people that I shoot with haven't noticed/asked. BTW, I carry a Ruger LC9 which conceals very well.

This is a good subject for CCers to consider because social situations always exist where you have to be in touch with people and continue effective CCing. I have developed an appendix carry at 9:30 (I'm left-handed) and when I hug, I fully extend my right arm and embrace someone, but I only slightly extend my left hand to touch their waist, resting my elbow on the butt of my weapon. This prevents them searching me, lifting my weapon, anyone grabbing from behind, and me printing. This is the most effective way I found to handle this in public and in hundreds of hugs, only one person asked me if something was wrong with my left arm. "Pulled my shoulder playing racquetball" I replied convincingly and we talked sports injuries for 20 minutes. Just have a convincing excuse so you're not standing there going "uuhhh" when asked and you'll be fine!

This is a good subject for CCers to consider because social situations always exist where you have to be in touch with people and continue effective CCing. I have developed an appendix carry at 9:30 (I'm left-handed) and when I hug, I fully extend my right arm and embrace someone, but I only slightly extend my left hand to touch their waist, resting my elbow on the butt of my weapon. This prevents them searching me, lifting my weapon, anyone grabbing from behind, and me printing. This is the most effective way I found to handle this in public and in hundreds of hugs, only one person asked me if something was wrong with my left arm. "Pulled my shoulder playing racquetball" I replied convincingly and we talked sports injuries for 20 minutes. Just have a convincing excuse so you're not standing there going "uuhhh" when asked and you'll be fine!

That appendix carry, is it very painful and are you planning on having it removed? Just kidding.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back